WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Appalachian Trail Conservancy Won’t Recognize Your 2021 Thru-Hike for Now - Backp

Ramdino has a good video posted about the bag tags and the divide between the ATC and hikers that is worsening. Thru hiker registration is open, it's up 30% (naturally) but we're not going to recognize that these folks are hiking the trail. It just seems backwards and out of touch.

nope they wont count your hike but they have no problem cashing your check

Images

Not sure why anyone would actually care if the ATC "recognizes" their hike or not, I've never understood this. Zero importance.

That being said, I would tend to follow the advice of the ATC in most cases.... that being said, my wife and I will probably head there in May, since both of us should be vaccinated (my wife already is, and I turn 65 soon). We'll still take all the normal COVID-era precautions, easy to do.

The good news with this is that since some folks DO care (for some reason) about their little "recognition" by the ATC, perhaps the trail will be a bit less crowded this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hoozurmama View Post
    Ramdino has a good video posted about the bag tags and the divide between the ATC and hikers that is worsening. Thru hiker registration is open, it's up 30% (naturally) but we're not going to recognize that these folks are hiking the trail. It just seems backwards and out of touch.
    Numbers seemed slightly down from what I saw. Especially vs 2019 when they were first showing those.

It does seem like very muddled messaging.

Of course their hoping conditions improve and restrictions are removed sometime this spring. But considering things are getting worse and the vaccine is in short supply, that seems unlikely.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The ATC has "closed" the trail due to the pandemic. Many States have closed all camping areas and/or have medical requirements to cross into their borders. To award recognition would be in direct conflict with these closures and policy directives of the ATC.

Journal Entries

Make your own certificate. That's what I did.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Not sure why anyone would actually care if the ATC "recognizes" their hike or not, I've never understood this. Zero importance.

That being said, I would tend to follow the advice of the ATC in most cases.... that being said, my wife and I will probably head there in May, since both of us should be vaccinated (my wife already is, and I turn 65 soon). We'll still take all the normal COVID-era precautions, easy to do.

The good news with this is that since some folks DO care (for some reason) about their little "recognition" by the ATC, perhaps the trail will be a bit less crowded this year.
    Agreed, didn't even reported my 2011 thru hike, recognition wasn't even an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hoozurmama View Post
    Thru hiker registration is open, it's up 30% (naturally) but we're not going to recognize that these folks are hiking the trail. It just seems backwards and out of touch.
    While the ATC is still encouraging people not to start a thru-hike, they know that people will anyway. By leaving registration open, people planning a thru-hike can see when and where others plan to start, and hopefully schedule a start at a time and location that is not very crowded.

As an NPS volunteer and AT boundary line maintainer I wonder what this years policy will be regarding working on the trail.?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    As an NPS volunteer and AT boundary line maintainer I wonder what this years policy will be regarding working on the trail.?
    The ATC is advertising for trail crew leader and crew so I interpret that to mean they are considering having trail crews this year.
    More walking, less talking.

The big problem for thru hiking the AT is that some northeastern states have quarantine or testing requirements. For example, PA requires either a ten day quarantine or a negative COVID test within 72 hours prior to entering the state. So for a thru hiker, it would be necessary to get a negative test a few days earlier, maybe in northern Virginia, to avoid delays in PA, and there are obvious logistical issues related to getting tested. I don't think that the ATC should not "recognize" thru hikes - they should advise hikers to follow all state laws and health guidelines but if someone does that and abides the letter of the law, why should they be denied recognition?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The ATC has "closed" the trail due to the pandemic. Many States have closed all camping areas and/or have medical requirements to cross into their borders. To award recognition would be in direct conflict with these closures and policy directives of the ATC.
    I understand what you are saying, but to be clear the ATC does not and has not closed the Trail.

Rather other controlling authorities have closed some sections.

As for their 2,000 Miler certificate, some years ago the ATC update their requirements to include:

”treating the natural environment, A.T. communities, other hikers, and our agency partners—whose land the A.T. passes through— with kindness, respect, and cooperation.”

In that context, their decision not to confer the 2,000 Miler ward makes sense.

To my my way of thinking they should have done away with it years ago — and just mail out a patch to anyone willing to pay for one.

David Terasevich at the ATC says no exceptions for those who have been vaccinated.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Pop View Post
    David Terasevich at the ATC says no exceptions for those who have been vaccinated.
    But if you're vaccinated you can't get it (95%). if you can't get it, you can't spread it (100%).

The goal posts are moving.

Also for the certificate, say all you have to finish the trail is 200 miles in VA. You go to VA, wait out the quarantine, and then finish your hike.....
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    But if you're vaccinated you can't get it (95%). if you can't get it, you can't spread it (100%).
    You can still get infected after being vaccinated, and there is a possibility that that you could get it and not know it. A person that has it, but doesn’t know it, is more likely to spread the disease to others. The CDC is recommending that people keep wearing masks, and practice social distancing after being vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    But if you're vaccinated you can't get it (95%). if you can't get it, you can't spread it (100%)......
    Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    You can still get infected after being vaccinated................

I think the jury is still out about whether a vaccinated person can become infected but not ill and yet spread the virus to others. Maybe or maybe not, nobody knows just yet.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I think the jury is still out about whether a vaccinated person can become infected but not ill and yet spread the virus to others. Maybe or maybe not, nobody knows just yet.
    Because it is a possibility, is why The CDC is recommending that people keep wearing masks, and practice social distancing after being vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Because it is a possibility, is why The CDC is recommending that people keep wearing masks, and practice social distancing after being vaccinated.
    You are right from what I have read.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++