WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I support the ATC on this.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Rob you hit the bullseye. The ATC is a political organization and has some very one sided ideas. I get the impression that they think the hikers are there for them not the other way around.

As far as we know, vaccination does NOT mean you can’t spread the virus.

Journal Entries
    Images

If the PCT. is open and california is so Bad then why not the AT. I plan on hiking this year.Iam registering woth the ATC for a section..So thery can track peoples movement...Hikers are already in the smokies I know of....
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

man I lost 2 whole seconds of sleep last night worrying about this and the ATC

Images

If the PCT. is open and california is so Bad then why not the AT

does the PCT get as many hikers as the AT?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Not sure why anyone would actually care if the ATC "recognizes" their hike or not, I've never understood this. Zero importance..
    Most likely for the same reason why the hiker chose the AT to hike. For someone who does not care, why hike the AT, in its entirety, why do such a recognized trail. So many possible routes to take to get over 2000 miles in. The AT comes with baggage, for better or worse, or some of both. The choosing the AT in itself is already buying into it. Refusing the certificate is also buying into it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mverville View Post
    As far as we know, vaccination does NOT mean you can’t spread the virus.
    That has changed somewhat, but ore is coming in. Even now fully vaccinated people can skip certain mandatory quarantines more is expected as we learn more. But yes there is still much we don't know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    does the PCT get as many hikers as the AT?
    Well at DoeS"nt have a lottery PCT does. The AT might think about that.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Journal Entries
    Images

The ATC is correct to deny recognition to any hiker that violates their “Morals Clause”, which I have copied below:

We hold high expectations of 2,000-milers that include treating the natural environment, A.T. communities, other hikers, and our agency partners — whose land the A.T. passes through — with kindness, respect and cooperation

It is every bit the ATC’s right to set the rules and obligations of the Certificate’s recipient, just as it the right of National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum to set the standard for its inductees — even if those standard have not been evenly applied over the years.

That said, where organizations fail to live up to their potential is when they don’t even try to apply their rules fairly.

In the case of the ATC, this is most obvious in their flat out REFUSAL TO RECOGNIZE THOSE SECTION HIKERS who completed their 2000 mile quest in 2020, who complied with all travel requirements, and most importantly, every requirement laid down by the managing land partner and the state for their final section.

While I don’t question the ATC’s motivation for thier misguided decision, their recognition has become an anachronism.

The best thing for them to do at this point (for reasons that go beyond their 2020/2021 policy) would be to design an attractive certificate “suitable for framing” that could be ordered online by anyone willing to pay for it.

Last edited by rickb; 02-14-2021 at 08:54.

You can do the same thing with a Harvard University degree.... what then is the value of a fraudulent certificate?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    You can do the same thing with a Harvard University degree.... what then is the value of a fraudulent certificate?
    I agree that if a Harvard Degree were given out to anyone who asked for one in a non-covid year, its value would be greatly diminished.

A Harvard Degree is rather unique, however. One could fairly argue that their paper is more important than the chase.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The ATC is correct to deny recognition to any hiker that violates their “Morals Clause”, which I have copied below:

We hold high expectations of 2,000-milers that include treating the natural environment, A.T. communities, other hikers, and our agency partners — whose land the A.T. passes through — with kindness, respect and cooperation

It is every bit the ATC’s right to set the rules and obligations of the Certificate’s recipient, just as it the right of National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum to set the standard for its inductees — even if those standard have not been evenly applied over the years.

That said, where organizations fail to live up to their potential is when they don’t even try to apply their rules fairly.

In the case of the ATC, this is most obvious in their flat out REFUSAL TO RECOGNIZE THOSE SECTION HIKERS who completed their 2000 mile quest in 2020, who complied with all travel requirements, and most importantly, every requirement laid down by the managing land partner and the state for their final section.

While I don’t question the ATC’s motivation for thier misguided decision, their recognition has become an anachronism.

The best thing for them to do at this point (for reasons that go beyond their 2020/2021 policy) would be to design an attractive certificate “suitable for framing” that could be ordered online by anyone willing to pay for it.

Says "2000 milers" not thruhikers, section hikers are being treated the same. Also morality is not exactly the same as legality. Some states were more lax in addressing their response to Covid-19 (legality) but the ATC is taking a more conservative response (morality).

The ATC is using one of the tools they have to affect hiker behavior in response to a public health emergency. Overcrowding is common during NOBO season. The ATC has a responsibility to protect the trail as well as what they say in their quote above.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Not sure why anyone would actually care if the ATC "recognizes" their hike or not, I've never understood this. Zero importance.
    Couldn't agree more. Zero importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    man I lost 2 whole seconds of sleep last night worrying about this and the ATC
    I was out backpacking when ATC announced this. Can't let ATC get in the way of a good backpacking trip.

The best way to be recognized for a backpacking trip is to post it on Trip Reports here on WB---and/or keep a backpacking blog with your trip history.

Or if really fixated make your own homemade patch---
    Scrap-fabric-and-quote-patches.jpg

The year(s) that I hike long trails I always join/donate to the applicable organization (i.e. PCTA, CDTC and A, FOOT, ATC, SHTA, TRTA, etc). This year, for instance, I have just donated to the AZT association. Going forward I will probably (this is subject to change) not donate to the ATC as I don't agree with how they handled some of this last years (and apparently current) situation. Obviously this is only my opinion and should be treated as such. If a certificate is offered, assuming I completed the particular trail, I would usually request a certificate. If one isn't offered, for whatever reason, I would simply order the pin and put it on the wall. More than one way to skin a cat so to speak.

I never had an "I love me wall" for my 27 years in the military but have to admit, I like looking at my accomplishments when it comes to hiking. It is what it is...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

2010 complete

And this is why I have cancelled my membership with ATC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++