WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Very overwhelmed by summer sleeping blanket options... aaagghhh

I am on a quest to lighten my base weight, hopefully in an attempt to carry a..... chair! lol. Anyhow looking for a summer, sleep system that is firstly, very packable, second comfortable , 3rd light weight. I have recently found MY teetering point comfort Vs Light weight with a Neoair Xlight. I am a side sleeper and it wasn't comfortable for me. Ive since went to a 4" pad and hopping that is the ticket!

Back to the blanket/quilt thing... I currently use a UGQ 20* quilt, silk liner, and S2S Etherlight XT. In the summer I take an army surplus poncho liner/woobie. It actually works out really well! The wobbie is huge! I love I can snuggle up in it. It is synthetic and drys very fast. BUT it is 28oz. That is heavier than my 20* quilt!

Ive been looking at other options, Costco Quilt is at the top of my list, although it is proving to be difficult to find and I am concerned about the small size; regardless it is my number one pick. other than that, Ive looked at the S2S Traveller; 50*, down, 18oz. a Reactor extreme liner; Cant really find many people using it stand alone, 14oz. Lastly Ive recently read about Alpaca Wool blankets. It claims to be much lighter than sheep wool and warmer lb for lb?

What do you guys think? I have to be covered.. I am definitely a blankie sleeper... .

i use the cotsco blanket.im 5ft9 and its pretty short on me. it works but i would look for something a little longer.

I use the Costco quilt and sometimes use it in a diamond shape, meaning one corner at my feet and I have enough to wrap around my feet and the other corner at my head.There seems to be more quilt this way and I can wrap and tuck like a burrito.

I'm 5'9" and love my blankie too...... ...

I have a bunch of fleece sleeping bags from years back that I use for summer. They can unzip to form a huge blanket and work good down to the 60s

Mine aren't this brand and are heavier, but it's the basic idea

https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Fle...dp/B002YXKFSI/

Just Bill on the forums dabbled in quilt making a while back and his products were -excellent-. I'll have to weigh mine, but I suspect it's below 16 ounces. Primaloft gold so it handles damp environments well, and it's kept me plenty warm in the mid 50's.

Couple thoughts:
    1) Down or synthetic filled quilts of appropriate warmth are going to be significantly lighter for their warmth than any fabric or fleece bags, bag liners or the like.
    2) If you're trying to go inexpensive, like the Costco quilt, a twin comforter (polyester or down, without cotton) can be turned into surprisingly light, comfortable, and warm outdoor sleeping insulation. If you like having a foot-box, you can bunch up the foot and tie a string around it, which can work extremely well. If you have basic sewing skills you can further lighten the twin-sized quilt ty trimming down the edges nearer the feet. My 100% polyester Ikea comforter that was $17.99 works surprisingly well down into the 40's and weighs just over a pound. And, being twin sized, it works for my 6'4" body.

Good luck and have fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I take my EE Revelation 30F bag in summer. It is very lightweight and, although it can be too much on really warm and muggy nights, in those conditions, I'm likely to just sleep on top of it initially when going to bed and, if needed, using it as an open blanket if it gets a bit cooler overnight. If nighttime temps are going to be below 45F, I take my zPacks 10F bag, over 45F my EE Revelation 30F.

I have a Burrow which was cheap and as usable as my more expensive gear. But I wouldn't go chasing 8-ounces here or there if I already had a usable system. People get WAY too myopic about chasing gear weight and then turn around and carry a bunch of unnecessary stuff. Seems like they are just obsessives, not really accomplishing anything other than spending money.

If your sleeping system is < 3-lbs (pad, pillow, quilt) and you sleep comfortably with it I'd save your money. Focus on getting in better shape and eliminating things you really don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    I have a Burrow which was cheap and as usable as my more expensive gear. But I wouldn't go chasing 8-ounces here or there if I already had a usable system. People get WAY too myopic about chasing gear weight and then turn around and carry a bunch of unnecessary stuff. Seems like they are just obsessives, not really accomplishing anything other than spending money.

If your sleeping system is < 3-lbs (pad, pillow, quilt) and you sleep comfortably with it I'd save your money. Focus on getting in better shape and eliminating things you really don't need.
    I agree, it is border line a sickness cutting weight and gear shopping!

Very good point about exercising to get stronger. Not enough people recommend that!

Images

In the heat of summer I've used a simple fleece blanket in low land areas. If you're in the mountains you'll probably need something a bit warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    In the heat of summer I've used a simple fleece blanket in low land areas. If you're in the mountains you'll probably need something a bit warmer.
    I just ordered the Ripstop By The Roll backcountry kit.

I went with 2.5oz apex. It should weight around 12oz and be good for 50*.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post

I had my daughter make me one. Used my EE 20° As a pattern . There is a very nice utube video to follow. Sized to use it as an over quilt, quilt stacking. Zipper to open flat ,it weighs 16oz, for 50° ,Size is regular,wide.

thom

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Sounds wise. I prefer linen lightweight blankets. Because they got thermal-regulating properties and hygroscopic

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post

SLD Eclipse is a good budget option, unless you just want to DIY. This guy's turnaround time is shockingly fast.

++ New Posts ++