WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Novice NC hiker

First-- the carolina hikers have a group on yahoo. Check us out at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carolinas_hikers/ It's kind of an informal group, but folks will take off for the woods occasionally and invite others along.

I suggest a good "practice" before buying lots of stuff you'll likely regret buying and driving many hours to SNP or GSMNP.

The REI in Cary, NC rents gear. It's not expensive if you're a member, and membership is free. A good place to start might be to rent a sleeping pad, bag, and tent and take the pack you have already.

Then, go for a weekender to Uwharrie National Forest near Asheboro, NC. The Uwharrie Mountains are some of the oldest in the US and are under 1000 feet, the forest is gorgeous, plenty of water, and w/in 1 1/2 hr of Raleigh. The Dutchman's Creek/Uwharrie Trail is a figure 8: one loop is around 9 miles, the other is around 12 miles.

You will also have cell phone service.

This way, you can try stuff out, then evaluate what you like, don't like, and you can THEN spend your hard-earned cash on buying stuff and considering what your "hiking-style" is. Don't let all this overwhelm you

ALSO, just a thought question here--As a fellow runner, I wonder if you are more of a "social bug" or a "lone wolf" type. I'm a runner as well, but my psyche tends STRONGLY toward solitude and solo hiking, not group hiking. You may be happier trying it alone, and learing on your own, on a few short overnights/weekends. Just a thought.

I second what C-Stepper says. The Uwharries are a great shakedown hike, I took my wife there last summer to check out her new pack. Not many views unless you took off now before the leaves kick in, but plenty of water and a safe parking area. We did the Uwharrie/Dutchman's creek loop 3day/2night. Not a lot of big uphill/downhill but enough to evaluate how your pack/shoes will feel on the bigger climbs on the AT. (Although there are some sections that are pretty much a vertical climb for short bursts).

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

All good advice. You should also come to Trail Days in Damascus this year....you will be able to check out all sorts of good things about long distance hiking (and its a good party). its about 45 min for me....so 4 hours (assuming it takes 3 hours from Raleigh to boone) drive to get there.
    If you go to the REI be sure to find out how much experience the salesperson has. i have been to that REI and was not impressed (although this was a few years ago)....they might have a former thruhiker on staff....if so that is who you want to talk to.
    Start easy on overnights....there are all sorts of places in western NC to hike...Pisgah, blueridge, AT....if you are going near Boone let me know and I'll go......
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weathergirl
    Thanks for all the good advice!

As for the pack advice... it sounds like I need to do some reading online. There's also an REI in the area that I could go and try some of these on.

your local REI will not have the packs mentioned in skidsteer's link. those packs are from cottage type industries, and not big companies found in retail stores.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

If you're near a Barnes & Noble, check out their regional section. I found some great books on hiking in NC when I first got started. They helped me pick out trails that were close to home (that I didn't even know existed) and gave me a lot of options concerning distance, intensity, driving directions, local amenities, etc. (For reference, I live about 30 miles west of Winston-Salem.)

Best of luck. Once the bug bites, there's no cure but to hit the trail!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Don't get too overwhelmed with high mileage that is pretty easy for thru hikers with trail legs. Budget your first few hikes at 10-12 miles max, and be amazed, surprised and happy if you match it or exceed it a bit.

The SNP is a quick ride for you, but NC has many excellent spots for weekend hikes. A pretty far ride for you is past Franklin to the Standing Indian Campgrounds and a huge loop of AT and connecting trails. The Smokies (GSMNP) has trails that would take years to exhaust. You have a growing resource with the Mountain to the Sea Trail (MST).

Trail Days in Damascus VA is a great time, the weeks just before and after it the trail in that area will be full of hikers, and it's a great place to meet and talk to hikers from all over and get a taste of the hiker "subculture" as well as talk to vendors and gear reps and browse gear from all the big companies, plus the campground is always party central, filled with current and past thruhikers...

http://www.traildays.info/

As Trail Yeti has already pointed out...

Trail Days sounds like a good time. I'll have to mark it on my calendar.

C-Stepper... I'm not too much of a lone wolf when I'm running. I prefer to train alone so that I can focus better and not have to worry about a partner. But one of my favorite things about doing races is the opportunity to get out there with other runners, especially now that I'm doing marathons. I mean, if you don't find someone to talk to, what else are you going to do for 4 hours?

As for REI, it seems from reading backpack reviews on this site that an REI bag might not be the way to go. A lot of these brands.... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arti...58&postcount=1
    aren't there. I still might go just to try some on and get a feel for what I want to look for in backpack.
    How do you take into account fit when you're looking at backpacks online? Should packs be adjustable enough that you don't have to worry about it not fitting right?

Going for some shorter trips at Uwharries sounds like a good idea, especially since it's not that far of a drive.

Images

Depending on your size/height, you may want to consider a women's pack. I have found that they fit my smaller frame and torso much better than a guy's pack. Many of the websites for various pack companies offer information on how to measure your torso size. The pack should be adjustable so that you can custom fit it to you. Here's a couple of sites that offer some information on fit.

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm...on=Packs.FAQ#8
    http://www.gregorypacks.com/fit_womans.html

You can also walk over to Cameron Village from campus and check out the gear at Great Outdoor Provision Company.

See if you can borrow some gear before you buy. There are subtle variations to some of the gear that may drive you nuts or give you tremendous satisfaction and the only way you will know for sure is to use various items to develop a feel for what you want.

Also check out the thrift shops. I have scored a pack, fleeces, and other goodies at the thrift store at Tryon Hills.

Images

But one of my favorite things about doing races is the opportunity to get out there with other runners, especially now that I'm doing marathons. I mean, if you don't find someone to talk to, what else are you going to do for 4 hours?
    If you can talk while running a marathon(in 4 hours!), I doubt you'll find backpacking to be an insurmountable challenge!

I still might go just to try some on and get a feel for what I want to look for in backpack.
    How do you take into account fit when you're looking at backpacks online? Should packs be adjustable enough that you don't have to worry about it not fitting right?
    It is very helpful to try on a loaded backpack before you purchase. In lieu of that, just make sure of the return policy of packs ordered online.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    If you can talk while running a marathon(in 4 hours!), I doubt you'll find backpacking to be an insurmountable challenge!
    Haha, of course the 4 hour mark is just when I lose interest in conversation, probably because I'm hurting and I've got another 3 miles to go!

Quote Originally Posted by bobgessner57
    You can also walk over to Cameron Village from campus and check out the gear at Great Outdoor Provision Company.

See if you can borrow some gear before you buy. There are subtle variations to some of the gear that may drive you nuts or give you tremendous satisfaction and the only way you will know for sure is to use various items to develop a feel for what you want.

Also check out the thrift shops. I have scored a pack, fleeces, and other goodies at the thrift store at Tryon Hills.
    I've never been to that place in Cameron Village. I'll be sure to check it out. If they let you borrow before you buy, that'd be a really great idea for someone like me who's still figuring out what they're looking for.

Section and wanna be thru hiker bbanker's Avatar

Default Uwharrie Book

I have done a good bit of hikin' and bikin' Uwharrie and would reccomend this book:

http://www.childrey.com/ulrtg.html

Great trip ideas. Good fun.

Default Greenville NC

In a 23 year old female in Greenville, NC. I've been backpacking about 3 times, each time at Mount Rogers, and I always went with a group of guys that knew a lot more about it than I did. I always assumed I'd just go with them, but they all have real jobs now and not much time to backpack. So, I've been looking for someone to hike with.

I'd still say I was a novice. I know the basics (how to pitch the tent, bear bag, read a map and elevation lines), but I'm still a little hesitant to go alone. If you wanna try and wing it with me let me know. I'm not wierd. And I've just started running again,so I shouldn't hold you back too much.

You're lucky that State has a club. If hiking was beer pong, I'd have no trouble finding one at ECU.

Default Gear swaps

Quote Originally Posted by weathergirl
    I've never been to that place in Cameron Village. I'll be sure to check it out. If they let you borrow before you buy, that'd be a really great idea for someone like me who's still figuring out what they're looking for.
    Most outdoor stores- especially small, local businesses- won't let you take gear out for a test run. Once gear is used, it's difficult to sell it again. REI rentals are your best bet for just testing things out.

You might find cheap gear at gear swaps. Often these are hosted by university hiking and outdoor clubs. If your club doesn't have a gear swap scheduled, look for used gear at Play It Again Sports, at bulletin boards (local gear shops, coffee shops, etc.), and at garage sales. Have a good idea of what you need before you shop for used gear, since you most likely won't be able to return it. Also have a good idea of prices of new gear before forking over any cash.

I am looking for either someone to hike with or help with shutting in NC. Looking to hike in May sometime but I am flexible. My number one hike is from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam (approx 80 miles). Second would be to go thru GSMNP. I could also do both of these if the timing is right. I am also interested in other stretches as well. I use a hammock so I can pretty much setup wherever I want.

I would also be interested in hiking with someone for their portion and then perhaps having them drop me off somewhere along the trail if you do not want to go as far as I do.

Michael Allen

Exclamation

If you're still looking for a hiking partner, I'm an Atlanta native, but can easily travel to Raleigh for short 2-3 (maybe 4) day hikes. I'm just recently a high school graduate, so on the younger side, but fairly experienced in hiking. Send me a private message (or, more preferably, e-mail me) if you're interested.
    -Michael
    P.S. Congratulations on the marathons!

Images

For some great day hikes in NC, go to Pilot Mt. or Hanging Rock State Parks (1.75-2.5 hrs from Raliegh I-40W to hwy 52N then follow signs) Pilot Mt. is right on 52, Hanging rock, not to far off it. Hanging rock has more trails & better views in my opinion. I'm in Winston-Salem, so I go there all the time. I'm going to spend 2 months on the AT this summer w/ my dog (well trained on voice and hand commands, won't be off her leash), starting at Spivey Gap in early June.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++