WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Novice NC hiker

Journal Entries
    Images

Default hikin'/backpackin'

Quote Originally Posted by weathergirl
    Hi, I'm interested in doing some long distance hiking, but I've only done some day trips in the past. I'd like to gain experience with longer trips but I'm hesitant to head out by myself. Anybody willing to show me the ropes? I'm in Raleigh, NC.........I'm a runner, and I've done a couple of marathons in the last few months, so I don't think I'd cut down on anybody's pace. Of course, put a big backpack on me and I might be singing a different tune

Yo WeatherGirl

You are in my favorite state for hiking!(thus far)

Just head WEST young weathergirl....to the western NC mtns...
    around BOONE & Banner Elk....Roan Mtn is a good place to start...the A.T. crosses the top of that mtn...& plenty of trails in ROAN MTN STATE PARK too.

That would give you a good start & a great taste of what "serious hiking" is about. good luck!

section-hikin' (w/ "Jigsaw") PEARISBURG-GLASGOW,VA
    APR 22-MAY 3
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by thickredhair
    For some great day hikes in NC, go to Pilot Mt. or Hanging Rock State Parks (1.75-2.5 hrs from Raliegh I-40W to hwy 52N then follow signs) Pilot Mt. is right on 52, Hanging rock, not to far off it. Hanging rock has more trails & better views in my opinion. I'm in Winston-Salem, so I go there all the time. I'm going to spend 2 months on the AT this summer w/ my dog (well trained on voice and hand commands, won't be off her leash), starting at Spivey Gap in early June.
    Are both of those places good for doing weekend hikes, with one night camping out, or dayhiking?

Professional Delivery Boy Emeritus Belew's Avatar
    Images

Hanging Rock has a car camping area that you can use for a base camp but no camping on the trails. I'm not sure if you can camp at Pilot Mtn. Stone Mtn State Park is really nice also. They have about 5 backwoods campsites and the Mountains to Sea trail passes by a few of them as it enters the park. Stone Mtn is about another hour down the road but worth checking out.

Images

Just for dayhiking and like belew said Hanging Rock has car camping, and I don't think there is any camping @ Pilot Mtn. Pisgah National Forest has some great weekend hikes for like one night or two. One of my fav.s one night is the Wilson Creek Wilderness area (get a map from local outfitter, or online) it has a loop w/ lots and lots of creek crossing and one up hill (so bring your water sandals, wet boots aren't fun). It has some camping sites along the trail.

Images

There is car camping at Pilot Mtn. Hot showers too, from what I understand.

This should give some good info for nc state parks.

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/main/visit.html

if your looking for a good place to start on a few trails thats kinda close to home try uwharrie. its not to far form raleigh and the trails are nice

me and my wife and possibly my 6 year old daughter will be starting at the NC-GA border and heading north as far as 5-8 miles a day for 30 days will take us, last year we Started our hike on the AT at Amacollola falls GA and hiked to the border of NC and GA where we plan on starting in June 06, just a month away. So if your interested in hiking with us 2 or 3 and want good stories and training from experienced hikers, we would more than happy be glad to have you trail along. There are many ways to contact me, from our website, messengers, or email. We could show you all you need to know to hike the AT and before you know it you will be hiking out there as a second religion (believe me its very addictive). See everyone on the trail in June 06 starting at Dicks Creek Gap and heading north to NC-TN border near gattlinburg.
    Venerable Retsuzen Shikata
    Hiker, Writer, Ordained Shikata Zen Priest
    "The fight that is won in the fight not fought"
    http://www.examiner.com/appalachian-trail-hiking-in-national/merlyn-seeley

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Retsuzen
    Master Retsuzen
    Hiker, Ninjutsu instructor,
    Wow... A Ninja!

Can you just make a big poof of smoke and appear on Katahdin from the Ga/NC border?

Hey, if a bear comes you could just backflip up onto the bear line and hang there with superhuman grip until he leaves... or screw yourself into the ground and dissappear.

Cool!

lol nice humor, though a bit common....*sighs Yea Hollywood likes to have fun with peoples minds. Although I CAN do back flips, lol it would just be alot smarter to simply cover my human scent with the scent of the earth and use the wind shear to direct my natural sounds of breathing and smell away from the bear.. OR just leave the bear alone :-) And if I could just poof into smoke and appear on Katahdin, wouldnt that just take all the fun out of it when I have over 2000 miles to practice my stealth and camofladge skills???? :-) Anyway....back to the reason I came to post here anyway:
    See everyone on the trail in June 06 starting at Dicks Creek Gap and heading north to NC-TN border near gattlinburg.
    The update for our section hike this year is August 2006, then its not going to be as hot as June nor as cold as last Feb, lol. (12 degrees) And why I am at it, is there anyone that has hiked the NC section in the month of August and could lend some information about the terrain and temps there? It would really be alot of help.
    Venerable Retsuzen Shikata
    Hiker, Writer, Ordained Shikata Zen Priest
    "The fight that is won in the fight not fought"
    http://www.examiner.com/appalachian-trail-hiking-in-national/merlyn-seeley

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Retsuzen
    And why I am at it, is there anyone that has hiked the NC section in the month of August and could lend some information about the terrain and temps there? It would really be alot of help.
    Parts of it. It was hotter in August than June. YMMV.

Terrain is harder than GA, IMO.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Im going from amicalola through the SMN starting on this saturday (6/10). You are welcome to join me, Im aiming for 15-20 miles a day.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default surf for the Mountains to Sea Trail

parts of it are in your backyard....not to take away from the AT of course...but sometimes you might need a backpacking fix and not feel like the 4 hour drive to the AT...
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Hi Weathergirl! Do you post on the coolrunning forums? Your handle seemed familiar. Anyway, I live in Fuquay Varina and SNP is not the closest AT Section. Actually, I found that the section in Mount Rogers National Recreation Area is the closest and most convenient. I recommend trying a 2 or 3 day trip starting at Grayson Highlands State Park. Park at the Backpackers overnight parking area in Massy Gap and take the approach trail up to the A.T. Hike north until you hit the Pine Mtn. Trail. Turn left on Pine Mtn. Trail and hike toward Rhododendron Gap, about 2 miles. About a mile past Rhododendron Gap is the Thomas Knob Shelter and just past that is Mt. Rogers. The vicinity of Thomas Knob Shelter has lots of places to pitch a tent. Head back to Rhododendron Gap and take the A.T. North again, which will bring you back to Massy Gap. This is a great weekend circuit hike that I've done twice. The views are spectacular! The USFS grazes wild poneys and allows farmers to graze cattle on the slopes as well. This grazing keeps the vegitation down and it is very alpine looking. R.E.I. has the maps or I could loan you mine.
    I will be hikeing the section in NC between Indian Grave Gap and Dennis Cove next week, 6/10 - 6/13.

You could also check out Morrow Mountain State Park. I plan to go there and field test all my equipment.

http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/momo/home.html

Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in greensboro runs several trips a month, usually limited to 8 or so people, usually one or two nites out last week they did shining rock near ashevillw, next month they are donig linville gorge. If your interested in going with a small group might be worth your while
    http://www.brmsstore.com/insideBRMS/...php?storeID=10

Hi Weathergrl. The SNP is a good place to get started. Lots of road crossing and opportunities for assistance at the waysides if you need it.

Also, check out the ODATC website for upcoming group trips. Many are in the SNP. You don't have to be a member to join a trip. The Roanoke Appalchian Trail Club also has great trips.

Some REI's rent backpacking gear. You might check with them.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++