WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Novice NC hiker

Default Novice NC hiker

Hi, I'm interested in doing some long distance hiking, but I've only done some day trips in the past. I'd like to gain experience with longer trips but I'm hesitant to head out by myself. Anybody willing to show me the ropes? I'm in Raleigh, NC.

I'm a runner, and I've done a couple of marathons in the last few months, so I don't think I'd cut down on anybody's pace. Of course, put a big backpack on me and I might be singing a different tune

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weathergirl
    Hi, I'm interested in doing some long distance hiking, but I've only done some day trips in the past. I'd like to gain experience with longer trips but I'm hesitant to head out by myself. Anybody willing to show me the ropes? I'm in Raleigh, NC.

I'm a runner, and I've done a couple of marathons in the last few months, so I don't think I'd cut down on anybody's pace. Of course, put a big backpack on me and I might be singing a different tune
    The trick, of course, is to not put on a big backpack ever . Seriously, where are you thinking of hiking and do you have any backpacking gear?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

although i'm in training also skidsteer gave you the best advice. it's the first thing i learned, don't take a big pack. you will regret it.
    hope that helps.

The only thing I have is a decent internal frame backpack, although I was thinking of getting a new one.
    How much weight do most people end up packing.

I'd like to hike a section of the AT over the summer. Although I'm up for weekend trips too since I need to gain experience.

Oh yeah, I'd like to stay around NC since I'm in Raleigh

Images

[quote=weathergirl]
    The only thing I have is a decent internal frame backpack, although I was thinking of getting a new one.
    How much weight do most people end up packing.
    Whooboy! That's a toughie, but here goes. Opinions vary-but for weekend trips of 1-2 nights while you are still in the "learning about gear and don't have a lot of money stage" you might set as a goal to carry no more than 20-25 % of your bodyweight. As an example, if your weight is 140 lbs., attempt to keep your total packweight( with food and water ) under 28-35 lbs.
    Keep in mind: Money+skill/experience=lighter loads.

28-35 lbs. is heavy enough to give you ample incentive to invest money in lighter gear after your first trip.

As to your current "decent backpack", tell us the make and model (and weight, if you know). Will it carry what you need? Does it fit? You may not need to replace it. It just depends.

Others will chime in, I hope. You should get lots of suggestions on a huge variety of gear choices.

Hope this helps.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

I'd like to hike a section of the AT over the summer. Although I'm up for weekend trips too since I need to gain experience.
    As a lifelong "weekend warrior" so to speak, I've learned that getting comfortable with the camp routine is all you need to branch out to more involved long trips. Weekend trips are probably the best way to get comfortable with being a backpacker. Since you are a runner, you should be able to adjust quickly. Always good to hear about someone looking to get into backpacking.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

The AT in SNP is probably closer to Raleigh than the AT in NC.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

This is my backpack...
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rokk/socorro/

The fit is ok to me, but I've never really carried that much in it, just a camera and a tripod for when I used to go out dayhiking to take some pictures. When I bought it, I was thinking less about fit and more about the price tag, since I just got it for day hiking trips at the time.

SNP = Smokie Mnt's, right?

Images

You might want to check out PATH, the trail maintaining club. Most of the members live in the Triangle area. Many are much older than you are, but have decades of hiking experience they can share.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

SNP is Shenandoah National Park. From Raleigh, you're probably better driving north towards the Trail in Virginia, than heading west towards the Smokies.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

This is my backpack...
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rokk/socorro/

The fit is ok to me, but I've never really carried that much in it, just a camera and a tripod for when I used to go out dayhiking to take some pictures. When I bought it, I was thinking less about fit and more about the price tag, since I just got it for day hiking trips at the time.
    Uh, probably not so good. I've never seen one up close and I couldn't pull up the descriptions, but it looks essentially like a day pack without a hipbelt. Here's a good starting point:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arti...58&postcount=1
    Skids

Ok, so it looks like I'll probably want a pack better suited for longer trips. I thought so

As far as taking weekend trips by myself as a pretty green hiker... is this a good way to gain experience or am I just setting myself up for getting lost somewhere in SNP?

Images

Ok, so it looks like I'll probably want a pack better suited for longer trips. I thought so

As far as taking weekend trips by myself as a pretty green hiker... is this a good way to gain experience or am I just setting myself up for getting lost somewhere in SNP?
    It's hard to say but if you're uncomfortable with the idea why not take Marta's advice(post #11). Heck, there might even be a backpacking club at NC state. You might be able to hook up with someone willing to share gear while you learn what you want to buy.
    Skids

Yeah, get a better pack. I have about 5 packs now and finally settled on a ULA P1. Small, light and comfortable.but carries everything I need with room to spare.

SNP is unique in that you have sooo many places where the trail crosses the parkway with parking plus the Waysides. Wayside means food!! Plus the campgrounds. For a beginner hiker it couldn't get much better. Plus the easy treadway. You'll smoke it up.

First, order the map of that area from the ATC. If you're just going for an overnite, figure out how many miles you want to do. 10 miles a day? Find a parking lot 10 miles from a shelter and hike to it and hike back to your car the next day. I hammock so I can camp anywhere as long as it's 100 ft from the trail. I think that's the number.

You could park at one of the waysides, that way you'll have food at the start and finish.

You can't get lost on the AT in SNP . It's the only trail that runs along the top of the mtn, it's well blazed, plus sign post with mileages at every intersection.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Weathergirl, make sure you get a pack for the right amount of time you will be on the trail. 1-3 days aprox a 3000 cu in pack. the granite gear vapor trail is 3500 cu in with a weight of 2lbs. i love it.. granite gear also makes packs that are larger. the nimbus ozone is 4200 cu in weight of 3lbs.. like all things everyone has their own favs.. go to the local outfitter and try some packs on.. short period on the trail smaller lighter pack, longer period on the trail a slightly larger pack could be appropiate but still as light as you can get it...good luck with your choice and your hike... nitewalker

Thanks for all the good advice!

I feel ok about not getting lost as long as I have a map and the trail is well-marked, so it sounds like SNP might be a good place to get my feet wet.

As for the pack advice... it sounds like I need to do some reading online. There's also an REI in the area that I could go and try some of these on.

As for the "hooking up" part of the thread, if there's anyone who's going my way (SNP) for a weekend trip in the near future or a longer trip over the summer, let me know and I'll tag along and ask you lots of new-backpacker type questions I was just looking for an excuse to use that icon

Or if there's a good hiking community at NC state that I can plug-in to, pass it along.
    I've looked up the website for that PATH, and I'll definitely be browsing around there in the near future.

Images

hiking in snp 20,25,and 30 miles per day is easy for most hikers,i enjoyed hiking this when i hiked from rockfish gap to boiling springs pa in 13 easy days neo

happy hiking to ya
    Last edited by neo; 03-23-2006 at 08:58.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

weathergrl,

You are free to hook up with me in Virginia when I hike most of the state in June. If you want feel free to PM me. I plan on hiking Pearisburg to Harper's Ferry. I will be out the entire month but if you want to meet me somewhere feel free. Always willing to hike with someone new. Oh and don't worry my wife will vouch for me being "safe"....I think.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++