WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default On trail male urinary catheterization

Long story short: I had prostate surgery several years ago and now I need to catheterize myself 3 times a day; otherwise, I'm a healthy and fit 73 yo. I'm trying to figure out how to do the cathing discretely while backpacking, hopefully thru-hiking, on the AT later this year. If I camp at a shelter I can cath myself in the mornings and evenings in a privy, or in my tent (awkward but doable) if need be, and when stealth camping. The problem I foresee is cathing once or twice in the middle of the day if no privy is available (twice potentially since I'll likely be consuming more liquids while hiking than I do now, but also sweating more!). I could possibly set up my freestanding tent for privacy, but this seems like a lot of trouble just to take a leak. I could also, instead, wander off the trail a bit and cath behind a tree; the process takes about 10 minutes. I've got the hygiene and LNT aspects of the process worked out, but mid-day privacy is still a concern. Any experience or recommendations along these lines? Am I being too prudish about mid-day, out-in-the-open privacy (10 minutes behind a tree might raise some eyebrows )?
    Last edited by MikeN; 01-18-2021 at 09:07. Reason: Change title
    "In proportion as [man] ...simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." – Thoreau

++ New Posts ++