WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shenandoah resupply

Any thoughts on resupply through the SNP in early April?
    Last edited by mverville; 01-19-2021 at 22:19.

In normal times, most of the waysides open in late March. Loft is listed as mid April. But these are not normal times so before relying on waysides, best confirm they will be open.

On my hikes through there, I used the waysides to supplement meals, either breakfast or lunch depending and resupply snacks. I would have enough dinners to get through the park, as otherwise your paying MSR for freeze dried food packets.

Now if the waysides are not open, then your only option is to hitch or shuttle into Luray, or carry enough food to get through the park, 5-7 days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This page shows opening dates for the services along skyline drive. All services are either on the AT or very close to it, so buying supplies is very easy when things are open. Be sure to recheck closer to your trip to ensure that COVID has not changed the opening dates.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hours.htm

On prior trips through the park on the AT, I have carried most of my main meals for the entire trip and supplemented with snacks and restaurant/cafe meals at Waysides and Skyland. The AT is great throughout the park and the waysides make it even better. Not a wilderness experience by any means, but be sure to explore some of the side trails if you are looking for more solitude. In many cases, you can take side trails that reconnect to the AT down the trail.

Since I'm now in the DC/N. VA area, I will again hike the AT thru the park in April. Most of the services will be open when I'm hiking.

Open Arms at the Edge of Town hostel in Luray for shuttle, resupply, laundry, etc. Call 540-244-5652

I hiked through in early May and I did as Slo Go N mentioned. I had enough to make the 100+ miles to the north end and just supplemented at Waysides. That said Covid aside, early April will probably eliminate that option.

Images

I've hiked through SNP 3 times now, always enjoying the relatively easy hiking and abundance of food. The last time I did so I started with basically 3 days of food (out of Waynesboro) and kept thoroughly fed the whole way (~5-6 days) through using the waysides and two little campground stores (loft and lewis???)

The breakfast buffet at the Big Meadows restaurant was great, it would be nice to time that. I even stayed long enough after breakfast to have a burger and beer for lunch before hiking on (it was in the fall and I watched football for a few hours in the little bar area). I never stopped at Skyland (timing) except to fill water and eat at a picnic table, but I did at Elkwallow all three times. None of the wayside food is great, but edible and filling.

I might have some of these names mixed up, sorry if I do....

This is all assuming all is open w/o severe covid restrictions, so of course check it all out real-time.

After exiting the north end of the park, I had a nice R&R stay in Front royal all three trips.

Nice, comfy section of the trail.

If you go northbound, I highly recommend a stay at the Mountain Home either at the "cabbin" (hiker hostel) or the main house (B&B), which is also a on the National Register of historic homes. Check out the website.

Images

+ 1 Mountain Home stayed here one night in june of 2015 the place is like right on the AT..Lisa was awesome resupply in Front Royal
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    If you go northbound, I highly recommend a stay at the Mountain Home either at the "cabbin" (hiker hostel) or the main house (B&B), which is also a on the National Register of historic homes. Check out the website.
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

Journal Entries
    Images

I had a cheeseburger, onion rings and milkshake at three waysides going thru SNP. A great supplement to my food bag.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    In normal times, most of the waysides open in late March. Loft is listed as mid April. But these are not normal times so before relying on waysides, best confirm they will be open.

On my hikes through there, I used the waysides to supplement meals, either breakfast or lunch depending and resupply snacks. I would have enough dinners to get through the park, as otherwise your paying MSR for freeze dried food packets.

Now if the waysides are not open, then your only option is to hitch or shuttle into Luray, or carry enough food to get through the park, 5-7 days.
    Loft (the southernmost) looks to be later April (23rd) now, and that sounds familiar. We were there in 2002 at the group site nearby from the 13th-20th of April and it wasn't open then either but I also seem to remember it just getting ready to open as we were ready to depart.

The Loft camp store might not open until late April, but I think the wayside (~1 mile away) is open. I made that trek to the wayside from Loft on the last two trips I did through there since the camp store was closed. (I was also there towards the end of April).

It's very strange but the wayside food seems very mediocre when I stop while driving Skyline Drive but, for some reason, the food is GREAT when I stop in while hiking the AT. It must have something to do with the cooks on duty, but it never fails to be the case!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    It's very strange but the wayside food seems very mediocre when I stop while driving Skyline Drive but, for some reason, the food is GREAT when I stop in while hiking the AT. It must have something to do with the cooks on duty, but it never fails to be the case!
    This is a well know phenomenon. I've made meals that taste wonderful on the trail, but are mediocre at best when I make them at home. Can't blame the cook on duty. Same cook.

Also, you are not allowed to leave the park unless you have more than a few Blackberry Shakes.

Dinners at the lodges will stretch your food supplies, but not your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    This is a well know phenomenon. I've made meals that taste wonderful on the trail, but are mediocre at best when I make them at home. Can't blame the cook on duty. Same cook.

Also, you are not allowed to leave the park unless you have more than a few Blackberry Shakes.

cup of soup for $5. . The wayside breakfast sandwich was great

thom

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    15 bucks for burger, fries and a shake? No way. Oh damn, I'll be back for seconds.

Actually, last time I was down there the food seemed to be priced what you'd expect for a fast food joint. I think if you look like a real hiker, lots of times the cook gives you a little extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The Loft camp store might not open until late April, but I think the wayside (~1 mile away) is open. I made that trek to the wayside from Loft on the last two trips I did through there since the camp store was closed. (I was also there towards the end of April).
    I was going by the link in Coffee's post (#3) - that shows the Wayside as April 23rd and the Camp Store (as well as the campground itself) as May 5th for 2021. I suspect when we were there the camp portion was more important (for showers, given that it took about an hour to get to Big Meadows with the 35 MPH limit), but I do vaguely remember that even the gas prices on the highway sign weren't posted until the last day or two of our stay (so maybe the 18th/19th that year) and that would be part of the wayside, I suspect?

Great info and advice from all. Many thanks.

++ New Posts ++