WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ST H:ike #3 - Peters Mtn to Yamacraw Bridge

Last weekend we set out on a 30 mile jaunt with a chance of powder. After a 5 mile night hike under clear sky's we set up on trail left by difficulty creek. Awoke the next morning to 2" of snow. Now I have become a fair weather hiker for many years, but in an effort of completion I rolled with it in trail runners and wool socks. Had a great day! Got in around 17 miles i guess on Saturday and finished up on Sunday with no snow in site. Lots of history in this section including old mines, train station and some old Kentucky trail. The Sheltowee has once again proven itself to be a fun ride!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Nice Gambit!! unfortunately my Sheltowee hike is on hold. i contracted covid early in Dec., had a very mild case, thank God. but the recovery has been a little tough. went on hike at frozenhead 3 weeks ago, 1st hike since having the virus, and found out my legs were VERY fatigued. so i've been doing short 5 mile hikes once a week trying to get back into hiking shape. but i'll be out there as soon as i feel fit!!

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    Nice Gambit!! unfortunately my Sheltowee hike is on hold. i contracted covid early in Dec., had a very mild case, thank God. but the recovery has been a little tough. went on hike at frozenhead 3 weeks ago, 1st hike since having the virus, and found out my legs were VERY fatigued. so i've been doing short 5 mile hikes once a week trying to get back into hiking shape. but i'll be out there as soon as i feel fit!!
    Get better Needle!!!! I am gearing up for ST4 in a couple weeks. 47 mile trip this month

What did you do about Rock Creek ford? I’m concerned about it and plan to take the extra 5 miles around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    What did you do about Rock Creek ford? I’m concerned about it and plan to take the extra 5 miles around it.
    I have forded it twice, I would not be overly concerned. Steve Barbour Is the encyclopedia of the ST. He runs the ST challenge every year and shuttles the ST pretty much full time. You could give him a call to get a better stance on the ford/ creek level.

FWIW it has been ankle/ shin deep both times I have crossed it.

I've used this USGS gauge on the Clear Fork river to judge Rock Creek on past hikes. At around 100 CFS for Clear Fork (South of Rock Creek) will indicate about a shin deep or less crossing at Rock Creek as Gambit said. At least for the times I've crossed it. Rock Creek rises fast with heavy rainfall though. 500+ CFS on the Clear Fork gauge and I would consider the detour. I've done the John Muir from Brewster's to Pickett and have had to hike the Divide rd out from Rock Creek loop a couple times due to high water. At those times Clear Fork gauge was 600+.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/u...te_no=03409500

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
    I've used this USGS gauge on the Clear Fork river to judge Rock Creek on past hikes. At around 100 CFS for Clear Fork (South of Rock Creek) will indicate about a shin deep or less crossing at Rock Creek as Gambit said. At least for the times I've crossed it. Rock Creek rises fast with heavy rainfall though. 500+ CFS on the Clear Fork gauge and I would consider the detour. I've done the John Muir from Brewster's to Pickett and have had to hike the Divide rd out from Rock Creek loop a couple times due to high water. At those times Clear Fork gauge was 600+.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/u...te_no=03409500
    Never thought of that, I have only used the Leatherwood gauge for kayaking trips. Great tip!

Good to know, thanks y’all! I watched Evan’s STT thru hike and the creek was up to his shoulders. I normally don’t like backpacking videos but his kept my interest, they’re pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Good to know, thanks y’all! I watched Evan’s STT thru hike and the creek was up to his shoulders. I normally don’t like backpacking videos but his kept my interest, they’re pretty good.
    I was going to reference Evans video as the "out of the norm" conditions LOL that was very very high for rock creek

I just finished this section, it’s great! The fall weather made it really enjoyable. There’s a reroute of the Wilson Ridge which screwed me up. I ended up taking the Kentucky Trail past a crazy house with scary signs that said “Stay the f*** away”, “You’re not fu***** wanted here “, and “Shooting zone”. Scared the crap out of me. Then I had to bushwhack to the Rock Creek ford but it’s all good, I didn’t die! Rock Creek was an easy ford.

I’m catching up to you Gambit! I’m thinking about combining the next two sections. Hope you’re feeling better and get to hike soon. You’re trail reports have been invaluable to me.

++ New Posts ++