WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Access to AT from Log Cabin Rd north of Hot Springs, NC

Can I access the AT from the end of Log Cabin Road just north of Hot Springs?

Using AWOL's guide, it has Log Cabin Road at mile point 291.2 with this line "Private home in view to east, please do not trespass."

Was looking to get on the AT at Log Cabin Road and hike back to Hot Springs.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Happy Trails!

I live not too far from there. Parking at the intersection of the AT and Log Cabin road is just about non existent. I would suggest parking at Hemlock Hollow Inn. It's probably closed this time of the year but the owners are hiker friendly folks and I don't believe they would mind at all. It's a not a difficult hike on Log Cabin road to the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwetherman View Post
    I live not too far from there. Parking at the intersection of the AT and Log Cabin road is just about non existent. I would suggest parking at Hemlock Hollow Inn. It's probably closed this time of the year but the owners are hiker friendly folks and I don't believe they would mind at all. It's a not a difficult hike on Log Cabin road to the AT.
    Thank you for the response.

I'm going to get a shuttle to Log Cabin Road and get dropped off. Leaving my car in Hot Springs and hike back to it.

Looking at Google maps, I really didn't see a trail or a way to get on the AT. I don't know if I will have to bushwhack from the end of Log Cabin Road to hit the AT, or if there is a path the leads to the AT.

I like the option of Hemlock Hollow Inn. After they open up, I'd like to use them as a place to stay. I'd take a shuttle north and hike back to Hemlock Hollow.

If I remember right, the AT crosses Log Cabin road at some point. The Shuttle driver will likely know where to drop you off.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you are doing a shuttle, I'd suggest going a little further and go ahead on to the Camp Creek Bald/Meadow area and spend a little bit of time up on the ridgeline. It doesn't add too many more miles to your hike and you get some very nice views.

The A.T. goes right by the sign you are talking about.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Diddo on going to the top of Viking/Camp Creek Mtn. There is Jones Meadows - part of an old ski resort. A USFS firetower with radio towers stand at the summit.

There are a number of access trails to the AT. The lower lot provides quick access to Blackstack Cliffs.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

If you decide to shuttle up to top of Viking/Camp Creek Mtn. to Jones Meadow/Blackstaff Cliffs it would be well worth it to go another mile or so north...weather permitting...and go across Big Firescald Knob. It's a rock scramble but ...IMHO...it's one of the best views on the AT. When you descend the northern end you can pickup the by pass trail and backtrack south to Hot Springs on flat, easy trail.

Thanks for all the great and helpful advice, folks! Much appreciated!

++ New Posts ++