WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Roanoke Triple Crown -- Trip Planning Advice

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum for this but here goes. Thinking of doing a 7-10 day trip in March/April and intrigued by Craig Creek Road (NOBO 688.6) to Troutville, VA (NOBO 731.2). If I wanted to extend it out to a 80-90 mile trip would you recommend I add 40 miles to the south? To the north? 20 in each direction? Welcome your wisdom. I hiked the section in Shenandoah NP Xmas week and it was divine.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
    Hi, not sure if this is the right forum for this but here goes. Thinking of doing a 7-10 day trip in March/April and intrigued by Craig Creek Road (NOBO 688.6) to Troutville, VA (NOBO 731.2). If I wanted to extend it out to a 80-90 mile trip would you recommend I add 40 miles to the south? To the north? 20 in each direction? Welcome your wisdom. I hiked the section in Shenandoah NP Xmas week and it was divine.
    I would hike southbound...Be aware that Joe at 4 pines is not available himself,But maybe someone at the hostel could get you back to your car,,,Where do you plan to park your vehicle...I live in Fincastle bout 15 min from daleville
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I did that section a few years ago. I started at Stoney Creek (VA635), 30 trail miles south of Craig Creek. That was a delightful section. The first climb is through the Rhododendrons. I don't know when they bloom but if bloom while you are there it should be lovely.. There were not many views the first day (I recall one overlook). Had dinner at War Spur Shelter then hiked a bit further to camp at John's Creek (to avoid the shelter bear). The next day brought me to Sinking Creek Valley which was quite pleasant with a beaver dam in the cow pasture, a nice mountain stream, and the Keffer Oak. Then there is a walk along the ridge of Sinking Creek Mountain. This was my favorite part of the hike. There are some wide flat sections and narrow rock outcroppings with fun scrambles and great views in both directions. I dry camped up there in the rocks. Best campsite ever. Extending the trip south far enough to at least include Sinking Creek Ridge and Valley would be worthwhile.

Either way you can't go wrong. Extending out on the SOBO side, to just north of Pearisburg (VA 641, Clendennin Road), will quickly take you up to Peters Mtn for a nice ridge walk before taking you to the section Odd Man Out describes above. Extending out on the NOBO side takes you up to the BRP, Apple Orchard Mountain (with quick side trip to the Falls), and could provide you with a multitude of ending points at any of the various BRP crossings (as long as you schedule properly with a shuttle driver).

Happy to assist if needed, we are in Downtown Roanoke.

Images

If hiking in March/April (especially in March), I suggest adding miles to the north. The section to the north of Troutville is mostly lower elevation, the trail is easy, and it closely parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway, which would provide an easy out in case of bad weather.

Also I would strongly suggest avoiding Dragon's Tooth if there is any frozen precip in the forecast.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by ddanko2 View Post
    Either way you can't go wrong. Extending out on the SOBO side, to just north of Pearisburg (VA 641, Clendennin Road), will quickly take you up to Peters Mtn for a nice ridge walk before taking you to the section Odd Man Out describes above. Extending out on the NOBO side takes you up to the BRP, Apple Orchard Mountain (with quick side trip to the Falls), and could provide you with a multitude of ending points at any of the various BRP crossings (as long as you schedule properly with a shuttle driver).

Happy to assist if needed, we are in Downtown Roanoke.
    Agreed with all of the above points.

On a related note - OP, feel free to add me to the list of people willing to help. I'm in Roanoke and may be available.

This is amazing, thank you. So grateful to all of you. Getting excited....

Quote Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
    This is amazing, thank you. So grateful to all of you. Getting excited....
    Also, if adding to the north, you have a good resupply ay Daleville/Troutville. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I did that section a few years ago. I started at Stoney Creek (VA635), 30 trail miles south of Craig Creek. That was a delightful section. The first climb is through the Rhododendrons. I don't know when they bloom but if bloom while you are there it should be lovely.. There were not many views the first day (I recall one overlook). Had dinner at War Spur Shelter then hiked a bit further to camp at John's Creek (to avoid the shelter bear). The next day brought me to Sinking Creek Valley which was quite pleasant with a beaver dam in the cow pasture, a nice mountain stream, and the Keffer Oak. Then there is a walk along the ridge of Sinking Creek Mountain. This was my favorite part of the hike. There are some wide flat sections and narrow rock outcroppings with fun scrambles and great views in both directions. I dry camped up there in the rocks. Best campsite ever. Extending the trip south far enough to at least include Sinking Creek Ridge and Valley would be worthwhile.

Hiking this section in a few weeks (Pearsiburg to Daleville). Bear activity at war spur? Ive heard they are bad through there. Just looking for places to avoid

I've got that section coming up as well. Starting late March just north of Erwin TN and hoping to make it the 378 miles to Daleville inside of 5 weeks (I'm not the fastest) so maybe see you out there in April!
    Really excited to get back to the trail, and particularly for this section - bookended by Beauty Spot/Unaka Mtn at the south end and the Triple Crown at the north end, with Roan Mtn and Grayson Highlands, etc, in between - so much to look forward to!

Keep in mind that middle section of VA is much rougher then the SNP. It's the part of Virginia which is the least bit "flat". I would not attempt it until late April. Early May is probably the best time. Warmer, drier weather and longer days. March is too early and tends to be a stormy month.

Centered around McAfee knob, it's pretty much a coin toss as to the better direction. They both have merits.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Spend the extra few minutes to walk out of your way to the Audie Murphy memorial. If you have the slightest interest in that sort of thing, it's well worth your time. If you don't - well, do it anyway. Maybe later, or in preparation to the hike, you can watch the movie "To Hell and Back" to learn about him to make the visit to the memorial more special.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Keep in mind that middle section of VA is much rougher then the SNP. It's the part of Virginia which is the least bit "flat". I would not attempt it until late April. Early May is probably the best time. Warmer, drier weather and longer days. March is too early and tends to be a stormy month.

Centered around McAfee knob, it's pretty much a coin toss as to the better direction. They both have merits.
    Your absolutly correct march can be wet here so I would watch thwe weather. May is better
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Also be advised that camping is only allowed at designated campgrounds and shelters from VA 785 to US 220.

++ New Posts ++