WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Shiny - thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

That makes me feel all warm inside...it's hard to resist bazinga
    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    My winter stove for melting snow with a 2.5 litre pot and an adaptor support for smaller pot and fry pan. "Reactor" extraordinaire
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

We are due to have 6" or more of snow beginning late afternoon today on into Sunday afternoon. On Monday I'll be melting snow with the Reactor and the 2.5 litre pot. It will occur in my back yard but at least I'll get out and cook something. I recently made some pizza pie crust in a 8" cast iron fry pan and need to try it outside on my DIY Reactor pot support set-up. I call it Italian Bannock

Bazzinga has been embedded in my brain due to a recent episode of Big Bang Theory...how cool is that

Yummy yumm, yumm, pizza and Italian Bannok!
    Now that makes me feel all warm inside.

If this storm hits us right we could get a 1' of snow by Tuesday morning. Plows on!!

I'll be in the backyard in it as well smoking bacon, wings and salmon. If I didn't have to go to work and plow snow I'd be out in the woods somewhere camping.

Images

Here in Illinois freezing rain has started

Italian bannock also known as Pizza Dough fried in olive oil in a 8" cast iron fry pan. I'm experimenting with a trail worthy recipe

Freezing rain sucks, we had enough of that last week. I'm really looking forward to some snow.

That Bannock looks awesome, looks like perfect pockets of golden olive oil and blackened crusty goodness !!

One step further and proper simmer ring/dry bake or a fire you could make trail pizza. Which I've done before out hiking I made little pizzas on a hot rock next to a fire.

But with that homemade Bannock now that would make a great a great campfire pizza pie!!

Images

My plans are to fry one side, flip it over and add olive oil, mozerella cheese and hope it melts nicely. Tomorrow I'll try it that way.

The nice thing about the olive oil it keeps the pizza disc moist till the 3rd day.

Been a couple years since I've made Bannock bread. I used to de-bark a stick and make the Bannock up at camp then wrap the dough around the stick barber pole style and bake over a fire with some honey oh yeah buddy!!

The great thing about Bannock is how versatile it's and easy different ways to make it , it's awesome with raisins and cinnamon....

This pot looks a lot like the Olicamp XTS which I use with my eCHS alcohol stove. The XTS is also anodized aluminum but it seems a little bigger and a little heavier. Does anyone know the specs for the pot weight? I would like a slightly smaller/lighter pot to use with my stove. This might fit the bill, plus give me a gas stove to use at times that may be preferable to alcohol.

Answer my own question. Backpacking.com lists the pot as 120 g or 4.25 oz which seems pretty light for an 0.8 L anodized aluminum pot with heat exchanger. The XTS is about 7.6 oz, although I lighten this a bit by swapping the heavy handles and lid with lighter DIY substitutes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Answer my own question. Backpacking.com lists the pot as 120 g or 4.25 oz which seems pretty light for an 0.8 L anodized aluminum pot with heat exchanger.
    Thanks for that weight info. My first reaction is that since my 7-8 year old Jetboil Sol Ti pot is only 5.3 ounces (including cozy and lid), the new stash pot is only an ounce lighter and is 0.1 liters smaller. not much of an improvement.

But that's still a gain given that it's aluminum instead of titanium, and the aluminum pots don't have that expansion/heat exchanger separation problem that the Ti pots sometimes have if you're not uber-careful with them.

Again thanks, I'm buying a stash asap.

BTW for deep-winter use (which I do a lot), I tried the MSR reactor, but went back to my old snowpeak spider invertible canister stove with HX pot system, I believe slightly more fuel efficient than the reactor. But the reactor was still a very decent system.

I made a cylindrical windscreen/pot stand out of Aluminum flashing so the pot sets on the bottom of the heat exchanger. There are air vents at the bottom but not at the top so all heat goes through the heat exchanger. Very effective. Very little heat is lost going up the sides of the pot. This only works with stoves that focus flames on the middle of the pot, which eCHS does. Starlyte also works, but stoves that double as pot stands don't. I tried it with a Simmer Cat stove and alcohol fumes condensed on the cold heat exchanger fins. When they got hot enough to ignite, the whole pot was engulfed in flames. That experiment didn't last long. The point being that I could use this pot with my current system an save a few oz plus get a gas stove for versatility (such as hikes where alcohol is not allowed). But it's pretty pricy. Since the pot is so much lighter than the XTS but not much smaller, I wonder if it isn't as durable. Also does anyone know anything about the burner?

4500 BTU/hr vs 9000 for the Flash
    150secs boil time for .5L vs 100secs for Flash
    12Ls boiled per small can vs 10Ls for Flash

Fell hard for Jetboil first time I saw one, while I was slaving away to pressurize my Coleman Peak1.

Next hike is solo, vs in past have had my 2 daughters.

Stash is lighter, more fuel efficient smaller form factor. Slower and smaller. Tempted.

As I have always cooked in my pot and pot cozy and used alcohol, I really don't care about speed. Is the burner one speed or can it be turned down?

Sounds like a one speed

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I made a cylindrical windscreen/pot stand out of Aluminum flashing so the pot sets on the bottom of the heat exchanger. There are air vents at the bottom but not at the top so all heat goes through the heat exchanger. Very effective. Very little heat is lost going up the sides of the pot. This only works with stoves that focus flames on the middle of the pot, which eCHS does. Starlyte also works, but stoves that double as pot stands don't. I tried it with a Simmer Cat stove and alcohol fumes condensed on the cold heat exchanger fins. When they got hot enough to ignite, the whole pot was engulfed in flames. That experiment didn't last long. The point being that I could use this pot with my current system an save a few oz plus get a gas stove for versatility (such as hikes where alcohol is not allowed). But it's pretty pricy. Since the pot is so much lighter than the XTS but not much smaller, I wonder if it isn't as durable. Also does anyone know anything about the burner?
    I do this with the Sterno Inferno, which weighs 4.8oz with my MYOG lid, (although it's really a 600ml pot) and use with a MYOG Ti pot stand/windscreen that weighs 0.3oz (9.2g) and Toaks Siphon stove at 0.72oz (20.3g). 5.82oz (165g) for a complete and very efficient (typically 17ml denatured alcohol to boil 2 cups in about 4:30) that is hard to beat.

Do you have a photo of your pot stand/windscreen for the XTS? I have that pot and would like to try something similar with it.

I have the Soto Micro Regulator stove at 2.6 oz and the Toaks 900ml pot with lid at 4.4 oz so a total of 7 oz. If the Stash weighs 7 oz what would I gain by switching?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    I have the Soto Micro Regulator stove at 2.6 oz and the Toaks 900ml pot with lid at 4.4 oz so a total of 7 oz. If the Stash weighs 7 oz what would I gain by switching?
    Maybe about 25-30% greater fuel efficiency, meaning a given canister will last more days, allowing more resupply flexibility and options. this is probably only important if you're a heavy hot water user, as I am (3-4 heats a day). A small canister will last me a week with my jetboil, but only 5 days with my pocket-rocket and conventional pot. I did a lot of testing of this about 10-12 years ago.

The higher fuel efficiency is mostly about the heat exchanger on the bottom of the jetboil pots. If you have a HX on your toaks pot, then you're good. Or if you don't boil a lot of water, you're also good.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Italian bannock also known as Pizza Dough fried in olive oil in a 8" cast iron fry pan. I'm experimenting with a trail worthy recipe
    Do you have a wild guess on how much fuel you end up using to make something like that? I love the concept, just trying to wrap my head around what's involved with doing it on a trip.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++