WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I have that same set up how far should the pot b from the burner ?

thom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I apologize if I've missed this previously - what's the source for the titanium cone you're using in that photo? Also, assuming I use a starlyte xl3 like you pictured - how would I go about adjusting the flame if I wanted to transition between water boiling and baking something? Thanks!
    The cone is my DIY variety. I made an aluminum cover for the XL3 to reduce flame size.

PXL_20210121_225034467 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210121_223931063.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I have that same set up how far should the pot b from the burner ?

thom
    1-1/2 inches

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The cone is my DIY variety. I made an aluminum cover for the XL3 to reduce flame size.

Very nice! Any chance of offering the cone on your site? I've got a Starlyte XL3 in my cart right now and would happily buy that from you as well.

Images

I don't have any extras. You can make a straight walled one like cmoulder
    his works just as well.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...=1#post2280361

Sounds good. I'll go down that road and do some experimentation. Thanks for all the help!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post

I've got a Starlyte XL3 in my cart right now and would happily buy that from you as well.
    I'll include the aluminum simmer cover. dblthumb2.gif

Thanks! That's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yep, the Inferno pot w/o lid is 126.8g and volume is really around 600mL depending on how much 'headroom' you prefer. Stash pot is listed as 800mL, and I think that implies 800mL plus some headroom, and if the Stash pot weight includes the lid, that's pretty impressive. So if you actually cook in the pot Stash is going to be better. With rare exceptions, my food needs are based on 2 cups so the Inferno works for me. The inferno is not anodized but for me that has not been a problem.
    I noticed in the Inferno videos, when boiling 2 cups water, some would splash out from under the foil lids, which isn't an issue if you are just boiling water, but clearly not good if you are boiling food. Likewise, anodized pots are not needed for water boiling. But since I cook in my pot (if you call it "cooking"), the Inferno clearly would not work for me. I rather like the option of bringing the water to a boil with the food in the pot. This way, the food is exposed to higher temps for a longer time, at the expense of using a little more fuel and having to clean the pot. But I find that raw foods I like, such as basmati rice and lentils, cook better this way.

I previously used a Groove stove with the Inferno but MikekiM enticed me to try the Toaks Siphon and it is more fuel efficient so that's what I use now.
    I believe the Toaks Siphon is working on the same principle as the eCHS. From the videos I've seen, I think the eCHS probably performs better. It is a challenging build, but certainly doable with the right tools. You can use Tetkoba's original videos or these which are probably better tutorials. What he doesn't say is that if you don't have the perfect can, you can seal the gap with JB Weld.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq-jtvGWJQk

Inferno pot with titanium cone used with the Starlyte XL3 burner. Awesome combination for sure.
    I used the original Starlyte before going with the eCHS for more power. As it is a center burning stove, It should work great with these heat exchanger pots and the Starlyte checks all the boxes in terms of ease of use, etc... Do yo know how much more powerful the XL3 is compared to the original?

Images

The XL3 with "small opening" is 1-1/2" compared to 1-3/4" of the original Starlyte. It's more conservative on fuel.

The XL3 "large opening" is 1-3/4" same as original Starlyte.

Use denatured alcohol for more power. HEET in yellow bottle has less btu's/power

How does the eCHS compare in power to the Jim Woods Supercat? I remember getting 2 cups to boil with 1/2 ounce denatured in a little under 4 min.

eCHS requires separate pot support, Suppercat does not.

I can understand folks going with stoves that have more power which equates to "FAST" like in the fast lane :-) I'm in the slow lane and will move over for others that are moving fast :-)

I tried a Cat can stove with my Olicamp and it was a disaster. Alcohol fumes condensed on the heat exchanger an then ignighted. The whole pot was on fire. Because the supercat flame is so wide, you need a windscreen that does up the side of the pot. You could only take advantage of it's power with a large windscreen that is heavy an hard to pack. Using a center burner (eCHS or Starlyte) with a heat exchanger, the pot stand is the wind screen. One less part and overall lighter since the stand is narrower than the pot but almost as wide as the pot providing great stability. I spilled a few meals with a super cat as the stove stand is narrow. Plus the efficiency suffers in real world conditions as it is difficult to extinguish and recover excess fuel. If you burn off excess fuel.

Images

Ok, use the eCHS with the Moulder straight wall pot support. That should work nicely. https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...=1#post2280361

I think I've read somewhere that the Fancee Feest stove works with the HX pots. I'll see if I can find some info on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Thinking on this it is not that simple, and may be backwards. Any savings will happen only if its higher efficiency means you can bring 1 less canister, or a smaller canister, or a partly used canister. But assuming starting with one full canister, it will be heavier to bring a high efficiency stove than a regular one because you will be going through the fuel slower, thus carrying fuel it longer. Also high efficiency pots typically weight more.
    This to me is a very interesting and wise perspective on canister stove efficiency and its pros and cons.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    This to me is a very interesting and wise perspective on canister stove efficiency and its pros and cons.
    And all of the theoretical arguments assume that you'll use up your last gram of fuel just as you're finishing up breakfast on the last day.

I've done that a few times. With Esbit. Never with alcohol or canister.

Hey, I think I'm inadvertently making a case for wood!

I think I've read somewhere that the Fancee Feest stove works with the HX pots. I'll see if I can find some info on that.
    I have seen those, but as I recall they showed that a regular Fancee Feast didn't work so well but a modified version with a taller inner can worked well. If the outer can was too close to the bottom of the hear exchanger it seemed to choke off the air supply.

Images

Sometime in the future I'll have to try the Fancee Feest to see how it fits.

In 2019 I came up with a great combination, the Inferno pot, a heat exchange windscreen that holds onto the sides of the entire pot. The stove used was a modified Etekcity with 4 pot support arms. More compact than a Jetboil, 5 grams of fuel will boil 500ml/2 cups in 3.5 min average. Total weight of pot, Etekcity burner, titanium heat exchange windscreen and lid = 236 grams/8.4 ounces The pot supports fit wo well I could tip the unit at a 45 degree angle and the pot remains on the stove. Awesomeness :-)

Sterno Inferno w Eteckcity.jpg
    Sterno Inferno 1.jpg
    Sterno Inferno inside pot.jpg
    Sterno Inferno.jpg
    Sterno Inferno in hands.jpg

Last edited by zelph; 02-06-2021 at 17:23.

That is very impressive! Surprised that I missed it before.

Images

That is very impressive! Surprised that I missed it before.
    It was introduced at BPL. Unfortunately the atmosphere over there deteriorated so I slowly withdrew my interest in adding any thing further. I was about to make kits available but changed my mind.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...o-sale-kaboom/

It was introduced at BPL. Unfortunately the atmosphere over there deteriorated so I slowly withdrew my interest in adding any thing further. I was about to make kits available but changed my mind.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...o-sale-kaboom/
    lol well that explains it... as you know, similar experience here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++