WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Very competitive weight. The closest apples-to-apples comparison would be the MSR Titan Kettle (0.85L) at 4.2 oz and a PocketRocket 2 at 2.6 oz, which is only 0.3 oz lighter than this stove (with 50 mL more capacity).

So the Stash only needs to save about 0.3 oz ~= 8 g of fuel from a single 4oz canister to break even, or just one or two extra burns per canister.

But the Stash's design might make it worth it regardless. Having a tight-fitting snap-on lid might save the weight of a rubber cross band or a stove stuff sack.

I still have my old Jetboil TiSol that I use, plus a backup TiSol still in the package. A quick glance suggests the specs are very similar. I'll have to spend more time comparing the two later.

This is very interesting. I was just thinking about how to cut weight from my cook system which, for the past eight years, has been a JetBoil Sol Aluminum. Super reliable, fast, efficient, but not ultralight. Every time I considered other options, I came back to fuel efficiency and performance in wind as limiting factors. So will have to look at this one closely.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I still have my old Jetboil TiSol that I use, plus a backup TiSol still in the package. A quick glance suggests the specs are very similar. I'll have to spend more time comparing the two later.
    I have two Sol Ti's as well, but after many years of hard long trail use, one of the burners is nearly toast (broken plastic, still works, but shaky) and I'm nervous about the other one eventually suffering the same fate. So, it's nice having a UL Jetboil back.

I'll definitely buy one, there is no question. I'm a very heavy stove user, liking a full 2 cups of coffee in the AM, plus hot tea in the PM, so hopefully the fuel efficiency is the same or better than the old Sol models (Ti or AL).

One difference is the 0.8 liter capacity, while the Sol is 0.9. doesn't sound like much difference, but when my wife is with me on the trail, the 0.9 barely works to make two proper cups of Joe, or two FD dinners. Losing that 0.1 liter will not work when I'm with her, but solo, the 0.8 is plenty.

Images

A little visual action for your morning brew time.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    One difference is the 0.8 liter capacity, while the Sol is 0.9. doesn't sound like much difference, but when my wife is with me on the trail, the 0.9 barely works to make two proper cups of Joe, or two FD dinners. Losing that 0.1 liter will not work when I'm with her, but solo, the 0.8 is plenty.
    I've stayed off the Jetboil train for a long time now, but the last two trips have really pushed me in that direction as I've watched them function remarkably well in wind and temperatures that were outside what I'd always considered reasonable for a canister stove. The micromo really appeals to me for personal use when I want a stove (most of the time by myself I just leave it at home except for the winter), but it's too small for snow melting or group use. It's a real shame that there's not a convenient way to order the Sumo with the Micromo pot as an accessory or vice versa.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

It does not take long to boil an extra 0.1 or 0.2l of water in the Jetboil, which is what I do with 2 people. Start the food rehydrating on the first boil, top it off very shortly after.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    So the Stash only needs to save about 0.3 oz ~= 8 g of fuel from a single 4oz canister to break even, or just one or two extra burns per canister.....
    Thinking on this it is not that simple, and may be backwards. Any savings will happen only if its higher efficiency means you can bring 1 less canister, or a smaller canister, or a partly used canister. But assuming starting with one full canister, it will be heavier to bring a high efficiency stove than a regular one because you will be going through the fuel slower, thus carrying fuel it longer. Also high efficiency pots typically weight more.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    This is very interesting. I was just thinking about how to cut weight from my cook system which, for the past eight years, has been a JetBoil Sol Aluminum. Super reliable, fast, efficient, but not ultralight. Every time I considered other options, I came back to fuel efficiency and performance in wind as limiting factors. So will have to look at this one closely.
    I also have the Sol Aluminum which I rescued from Gander Mountain as they were closing.
    It is by far the best system in my cooking cabinet.
    Wayne

Images

My winter stove for melting snow with a 2.5 litre pot and an adaptor support for smaller pot and fry pan. "Reactor" extraordinaire

I have the original jetboil, yes not small,not light weight but super fast, efficient and reliable.

This msr reactor looks interesting ?

Hey zelph, where did you get the adapter support ?
    I think you said this stove is good down to-25 ?
    Do you have to use propane or mix and does it have to be inverted?
    What wind screen do you use with this stove?
    And this stove isn't cheap about $100 more than the white gas/combo stoves, so what are the advantages to this stove?

I'm asking because I'm going to be looking something similar for deep winter, snow melt, fry pan combo, dependable stoves.

$130? No thank you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I have the original jetboil, yes not small,not light weight but super fast, efficient and reliable.

This msr reactor looks interesting ?

Hey zelph, where did you get the adapter support ?
    I think you said this stove is good down to-25 ?
    Do you have to use propane or mix and does it have to be inverted?
    What wind screen do you use with this stove?
    And this stove isn't cheap about $100 more than the white gas/combo stoves, so what are the advantages to this stove?

I'm asking because I'm going to be looking something similar for deep winter, snow melt, fry pan combo, dependable stoves.
    The 2.5 litre pot was purchased used here on WB. The Reactor and Brunton stove stand were purchased used on Backpackinglight.com.

I use a doityourself titanium windscreen and modified DIY pot support for use with fry pan and other pots, very versatile. With the DIY pot support I can see the volume(redness) of heat being used when I want to simmer, visual control if you will. The Brunton stand allows for stability when melting snow with the 2.5 litre pot.
    The Reactor stove is fuel efficient when used with the pot that has the heat exchanger fins. I use 70% BOSS propane torch fuel good down to -35 degrees, something I discovered last year during a research period due to having to stay indoors during the global situation Use the canister in the upright position. The uniqueness of the stove is worth it's high cost, to me anyway.

The advantages of the stove are.........bazinga

Holy smokes! -35 degrees? Impressive. Are you doing your own refills to get that mixture? Any concerns with the integrity of the canister using that much propane?

I like it, I like it alot !!
    To me it seems like alot less fiddle factor as opposed to a white gas + whatever stove. Meaning you could take this setup with a couple canisters and be good for several weeks out on a winter adventure. Just knowing the reliability of it and no concern of priming or clogged orvices etc...

I'm going to have more time to get out and play and I like to go out and play in the snow it makes me happy !!
    I would pay the $ for this setup as well..

The most interesting part of course is the flux ring pot which is inarguably more efficient than any flat-bottom pot. If it works with other stoves (i.e. if pot supports are wide enough) you could ditch the plastic lid for something lighter and have a nice HX pot, although the handle appears to be more robust than necessary. So hopefully they'll sell the pots separately at some point.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The most interesting part of course is the flux ring pot which is inarguably more efficient than any flat-bottom pot.
    Tell us what you did with the Sterno Inferno HX pot

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Tell us what you did with the Sterno Inferno HX pot
    LOL well it "boils down" to boiling 2 cups of water with 17ml of denatured alcohol in 4.5 minutes!!

I hope you're still making those pot stand/windscreens for it. I've seen MikekiM use his many times with the Sterno Inferno and it is excellent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Holy smokes! -35 degrees? Impressive. Are you doing your own refills to get that mixture? Any concerns with the integrity of the canister using that much propane?
    The canisters are available from the manufacture. The canisters have a Lindal valve.

https://www.es-refrigerants.com/prod...435a&Trying=ON

Link to ebay has been deleted due to incorrect photo at ebay.
    Last edited by zelph; 01-30-2021 at 11:52.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++