WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bushy Head Gap - LNT Camping?

Looking to do Skeenah Gap Rd to Thunder Rock around the end of March. Are there any LNT camp sites at or shortly after Bushy Gap just as it leaves the road walk? My thoughts are if my hike gets me to the Indian Rock Shelter too early in the day, I may want to keep going for a few more miles. The BMTA guide mentions camping but Sgt Rock's does not. Will be my first time on this section.

I assume you mean Bush Head Gap since camping isn't allowed until 0.7 mi beyond there. I don't remember specific campsites but it's public land once you're off the private property. Are you familiar with troop629.org? They have a walk through of each section and specifically recommend camping on "the public land near Bush Head Gap" when referencing the no-camping section.

Have a great hike!

Thanks Traffic Jam, yes I was wondering about the name. BMTA guide has it as 'Bushy Head Gap' and Sgt Rock's refers to it as 'Bush Head'. Haven't been on the troop629 site, I'll have a look. Tried a Springer start last year but exited at Skeenah when the Covid lock down hit.

Leonidas

The next campsite I remember after Indian Rock Shelter was at Hudson Gap. Not saying there weren't any before that, but that is the first I recall and Guthook matches that info.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Good info, thanks JC13. The two guides I have don't mention one at Hudson Gap.

++ New Posts ++