WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Motion made to continue accused Appalachian Trail murderer from July to September - W

I'm a firm believer in the old testament that says "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth "!!

I don't have a problem pushing the trial back as long as he remains in custody. Uncle Sam is going to provide him with three hots and a cot whether its pre-trial or post-conviction. Once he is in Bureau of Prisons system, you can track him on the inmate locator. https://www.bop.gov/mobile/find_inmate/byname.jsp

Thanks but no thanks I've no need to follow convicted felons.
    I have a problem prolonging it because it's my tax dollars.
    If it's beyond reasonable doubt then there's no doubt old testament.

Mr Sanchez was walking off PTSD from serving in the military that's all he wanted to do was take a long walk in the woods and this lunatic shows up.

And the way he tried to kill that young lady that turned out to be the hero in all this!!

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    . . . If it's beyond reasonable doubt then there's no doubt old testament . . .
    Aside from the fact that I doubt the old testament says anything about "reasonable doubt" or beyond it, beyond who's reasonable doubt? Our history is full of horrible injustices placed upon people because some jackass thought something was beyond reasonable doubt and inflicted their justice on someone when the person was innocent. If you are placing old testament laws and practices above our current legal system's laws practices you scare me dude. Maybe you should think about moving to a different country with an extreme religious fundamentalist legal system. I personally don't think people should be killed by the state for most of the following offenses!

The Old Testament Law prescribed the death penalty for an extensive list of crimes including:
    • Attacking or cursing a parent (Exodus 21:15,17)
    • Disobedience to parents (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
    • Kidnapping (Exodus 21:16)
    • Failure to confine a dangerous animal, resulting in death (Exodus 21:28-29)
    • Witchcraft and sorcery (Exodus 22:18, Leviticus 20:27, Deuteronomy 13:5, 1 Samuel 28:9)
    • Sex with an animal (Exodus 22:19, Leviticus 20:16)
    • Doing work on the Sabbath (Exodus 31:14, 35:2, Numbers 15:32-36)
    • Incest (Leviticus 18:6-18, 20:11-12,14,17,19-21)
    • Adultery (Leviticus 20:10; Deuteronomy 22:22)
    • Homosexual acts (Leviticus 20:13)
    • Prostitution by a priest's daughter (Leviticus 21:9)
    • Blasphemy (Leviticus 24:14,16, 23)
    • False prophecy (Deuteronomy 18:20)
    • Perjury in capital cases (Deuteronomy 19:16-19)
    • Refusing to obey a decision of a judge or priest (Deuteronomy 17:12)
    • False claim of a woman's virginity at time of marriage (Deuteronomy 22:13-21)
    • Sex between a woman pledged to be married and a man other than her betrothed (Deuteronomy 22:23-24)
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The man accused in this truly awful homicide is mentally ill. He was obviously in crisis, and should have (if things had worked in a perfect world) maybe been intercepted before this happened and taken to a mental health facility. There had been reports of his irrational behavior in various towns along the way for several miles, I believe. What happened was a breakdown in the mental health system, combined with small towns and people ill equipped to deal with this issue. If mental health was understood a little better, and treated as an illness like other illnesses, we would be better off.

Ask yourself if you would condemn a person for a crime had he committed if while under the stress of, say, taking the drugs for treatment of cancer? If this man (the accused) had been a relative of yours, and you knew him to be a good person under normal circumstances, would you be anxious to say these hateful things about him? He does have a family. He probably did have a normal life once. I assure you that his mental illness is not something he is happy to have, and the pain of his crime weighs heavily on his family and breaks their heart. We would all do well to try to understand the pain of mental illness and try to help rather than condemn those who suffer with it.

No sorry didn't mean to scare ya and I'm definitely not moving to another country and not a religious nut either. Thanks for your complete description of the old testament I had no idea.

These kinda of cases just drive me nuts you know it's been a couple years now, ridiculous!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    The man accused in this truly awful homicide is mentally ill. He was obviously in crisis, and should have (if things had worked in a perfect world) maybe been intercepted before this happened and taken to a mental health facility. There had been reports of his irrational behavior in various towns along the way for several miles, I believe. What happened was a breakdown in the mental health system, combined with small towns and people ill equipped to deal with this issue. If mental health was understood a little better, and treated as an illness like other illnesses, we would be better off.

Ask yourself if you would condemn a person for a crime had he committed if while under the stress of, say, taking the drugs for treatment of cancer? If this man (the accused) had been a relative of yours, and you knew him to be a good person under normal circumstances, would you be anxious to say these hateful things about him? He does have a family. He probably did have a normal life once. I assure you that his mental illness is not something he is happy to have, and the pain of his crime weighs heavily on his family and breaks their heart. We would all do well to try to understand the pain of mental illness and try to help rather than condemn those who suffer with it.
    That's ridiculous to you can't always blame a failed "health care system " . After all the law has to follow certain protocol before they can commit someone.

And yes I would " condemn" someone under any circumstances that they where suffering if they were to go out and stab someone to death.

Images

I assure you that his mental illness is not something he is happy to have, and the pain of his crime weighs heavily on his family and breaks their heart. We would all do well to try to understand the pain of mental illness and try to help rather than condemn those who suffer with it.

yeah.......it's sad all around.....

it's not like this guy woke up one day and said---"i wanna have demons in my head"........

i thinking this guy will have the path of hinckley jr-----found not guilty due to insanity but won't be necessary free....

and, he will get the help he should have probably had years ago......

Hinckley is free now isn't he?

Or maybe that's just to see his parents on weekends and holidays etc,etc......

And maybe under the same " illness clause " this guy will be set free too one day?

And what about if it was your mother or wife or sister, brother that was stabbed to death up on that mountain would you have a stronger opinion?

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Our criminal justice system is now super-obsessed with the "rights" of the accused.

Meanwhile victims are often forgotten or at least minimized as peripheral characters in the matter. With every continuance, and judges normally grant them one after another, victims and their families have to wait ever longer to witness justice, a key component in the healing process for many.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    And maybe under the same " illness clause " this guy will be set free too one day?
    And what about if it was your mother or wife or sister, brother that was stabbed to death up on that mountain would you have a stronger opinion?
    To paraphrase an old book . . . something about "Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord".

There is no doubt the victims have been irreparably injured! BUT, does that mean it is in either the victim's or society's best interest to do similar irreparable harm to the perpetrator and their family? It might make a vengeful victim feel partially vindicated, but a "net good" may not come from such actions.

JNI64, if you want some interesting things to consider regarding these types of things, I would encourage you, and everyone else for that matter, to read into "Restorative Justice". I'm not saying it's right or better. BUT, it offers some significant things to think about and consider.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

After being a total good boy for 29 years I got burned pretty bad!

I happen to concur with the (Leviticus 20:10; Deuteronomy 22:22) as well.....

This is just a news update on the case saying it may be postponed. Probably an open thread on this somewhere but if not I can see why it might be closed so maybe keep the Old Testament, views on the death penalty, the state of mental health treatment, victims' rights, gender identity and sexual preference a little more chill maybe? I know it's hiking related but let's not use it as a springboard to a bunch of other nonhiking related topics, particularly divisive ones.

Thanks and special thanks to franky who did stay on topic!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++