WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shelters

Default Shelters

what's your ultralight shelter of choice?

One made of wood and located in a nice place
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

How many people? What conditions? Do you normally carry trekking poles?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    How many people? What conditions? Do you normally carry trekking poles?
    1P ,3 season ,yes

On the cheap end, something simple like the Monk tarp I use would work well. Plenty of good DCF options on the top end of the spectrum too, some with integrated bug netting, etc.

I like Slo-go’en’s version!

Garlic
    Images

Tarptent Protrail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Tarptent Protrail.
    that's my current shelter

It really depends on how much are you willing to invest. As a rule of thumb, the lighter is the gear, the more expensive it is.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    It really depends on how much are you willing to invest. As a rule of thumb, the lighter is the gear, the more expensive it is.
    And how minimalist you want to be. For me, the SMD Trekker at 24 oz is light enough without breaking the bank. If I'm doing an overnight and there is no chance of rain or bugs, then maybe I'll forgo any shelter, but that is rare.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    And how minimalist you want to be. For me, the SMD Trekker at 24 oz is light enough without breaking the bank. If I'm doing an overnight and there is no chance of rain or bugs, then maybe I'll forgo any shelter, but that is rare.
    my Protrail come in at 25oz's, stuff sack, 4 stakes & guy lines. fits in the side pocket of my GG Kumo. so yes, light enough for me too. i was just curious as too what shelters other UL's use.

Journal Entries
    Images

The shelter I have is a lightheart So long 6 is My shelter. I' ll be buying next is a Zpacks duplex...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    On the cheap end, something simple like the Monk tarp I use would work well. Plenty of good DCF options on the top end of the spectrum too, some with integrated bug netting, etc.
    Caleb, curious as to what pitch you mostly use with the tarp? i have a 7"x 9' Yama Mt. Gear flat tarp.

I had a Protrail. Liked it but my big black dog takes up room so I got a Motrail to try. Not a huge weight increase over the Protrail just handling the two stuff sacked up. I had a bivy and small tarp on 1000 miles of AT in 2019. I only used the two together maybe twice. Nice weather I cowboy camp and just sleep on a tyvek chunk bigger than my mattress. The bugs were never bad so the bivy wasnt needed and the weather didnt make me pitch more than I needed. A modular system worked well for me. A ground sheet, add a 5×8 tarp and add bivy to that if needed for bugs or bad weather.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I love my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 as a solo tent.
    It's far too small for two people to spread out, but it's very roomy for one person.
    I bought mine for a three week trip on the JMT. Thru various online sources, I had heard various stories of critters messing up boots and hiking poles left out over night, so I decided to bring EVERYTHING into my tent at night (except for the bear cannister). With a Large NeoAir pad turned on the diagonal, I had room on both sides of my to place all my gear. My pack and hiking poles were at my feet, and my water bladder and bottles were near my side on one side, while my boots and all the other gear I'd pull out of my pack at night near my head on the other side. I used a cut-up piece of a z-lite mattress for a sitting pad. I'd use that as a kneeling pad to get in and out of my tent, then turn the "dirty side" up inside the tent to set my boots on to keep my tent clean.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Love my TarpTent Rainbow, but it might not qualify as ultralight in most people's books.

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    what's your ultralight shelter of choice?
    I am happy with a Hexamid

thom

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    Caleb, curious as to what pitch you mostly use with the tarp? i have a 7"x 9' Yama Mt. Gear flat tarp.
    So far I've just used the standard pitch from this picture. One of these days I need to familiarize myself with all the options so I can make an educated decision each time I use it.

Drop Durston X-mid 1p or 2p

thank y'all for your input! i'm always looking for a way to get lighter w/o sacrificing comfort. i'm still fooling with a tarp & if i get comfortable with it "may" give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++