WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for Suggestions for a light weight down jacket

I am on to the next step in finding my gear. I am looking for suggestions for a Light weight down jacket? Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    I am on to the next step in finding my gear. I am looking for suggestions for a Light weight down jacket? Thanks
    Mountain Hardwear ghost whisperer with Hood
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Going away from Down, What is some opinions of the EE Torrid APEX Jacket?

Hood or no hood?

They're not cheap but check out Mont-bell Plasma.

Gotta admit, though, I'm lusting over the Ignis.

Yes, I am a certified Mont-bell fanboi.

Images

I just bought an Arctyrex Cerium, BEST warmth to weight of any down jackets I've owned, which include various Montbells and a MHW Ghost wisperer. All of the latter mentioned jackets are excellent, but the Arcteryx is the best, hands down (!) that's I've owned. For the record, I've never owned a FF jacket though.

If you can afford a Dead Bird (Arctyrex) Cerium, go for it. I lucked out and found one on sale for a "mere" $279 (about $100 off). Stupid expensive, but I've never regretted any Arcteryx purchase, and I've made quite a few.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

I see a big difference in price between 800 fill and 1000 fill. I don't think i could pull the trigger on a 300 dollar jacket. Even though the weight is lees then half between the 2

One has to question these $250-$400 down jackets!! Like I said b4, this hiking couture thing is getting out of hand!!
    The same materials are used as some of these jackets on sale at Amazon for a fraction of the cost!! I bought an Amazon essentials down jacket and never looked back Its so warm and light.
    And if you have to go over the $100 threshold Columbia and Eddie Bauer make some killer jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    +1 �� ....case in point

I agree that Eddie Bauer and some others are excellent quality. The main reason I've not bought one of the really cold weather parkas from mont-bell (such as Mirage) is that my older EB Ascent w/800fp dri-down simply just keeps on going no matter what. And it weighs right at 16oz and stuffs down reasonably small, while the Mirage is about 13.5oz which would cut only 2.5oz... not enough to justify switching.

I've also read about Uniqlo as having some decent lightweight down pieces at very reasonable prices.

Nunatak makes some nice stuff. I like if I'm spending top dollar to be able to get a custom tweak here and an extra 2" there. Nunatak does custom so I know the fit it. I have had good luck and have always been pleased with Montbell jackets too.

Images

I see a big difference in price between 800 fill and 1000 fill. I don't think i could pull the trigger on a 300 dollar jacket. Even though the weight is lees then half between the 2
    I understand. So many less expensive options, including those el-cheapo Costco/etc jackets, which are pretty reasonable. My wife also endorses the Eddie Bauer ones.

I'm just really partial to Arcteryx; If you hike as much as I do (couple thousand miles every year and all year 'round), the price amortizes and becomes relatively "cheap" on a per-day or per-hike basis. Here out west at altitude, one needs a puffy pretty much year 'round. An AT hiker (or other eastern trails) won't use a puffy nearly as much during spring-fall.

My various Montbell jackets had held up very well over the last 10-20 years, they are just not as warm as the Arcteryx, nor do they fit quite as well. Who knows, a brand new Montbell might be just as warm, though I have tried to keep my old jackets puffy by washing/drying with down-wash.

A great jacket is about a lot of things, including fit, length (I like 'em a bit long), how well the zipper works long-term, and other intangibles (hood fit, pocket position, etc). Arcteryx does all of this perfectly (for me).

Here's a review of lightweight puffy's; I like "outdoorgearlab" reviews, they seem nice and thorough.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...tweight-warmth

We use the Montbell down sweather ($120+)r, happily for many years... but I saw something quite similar in Costco for about $20 and nabbed that too..

Leonidas

Going away from Down, What is some opinions of the EE Torrid APEX Jacket?
    I've had one for just over a year now, warm, light and packs down small. My medium weighs 7.37oz 7D/7D. I don't have the hood as I prefer to be able to vary the level of coverage on my head.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I've had one for just over a year now, warm, light and packs down small. My medium weighs 7.37oz 7D/7D. I don't have the hood as I prefer to be able to vary the level of coverage on my head.
    I have the pants . Size m 5.7oz . Lots of warm for weight

thom

++ New Posts ++