WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clarification needed - Big Spring Gap area off limits or open?

Location - Big Spring Gap at mile 100 in the Standing Indian Loop.
    Issue - 2018 AWOL says this area is closed for land reclamation and there is no camping allowed. 2019 Whiteblazes trail guide is silent on the issue but trip reports indicate that as of 2019, the area was still closed. Guthook's last user comment is from 2017, so that's not helpful. However, the 2020 and 2021 editions of WhiteBlaze Pages indicates that tent camping is now available. SO, has anyone been up that way in the past year and can verify if Big Spring Gap is now open for business, or is it still closed? If open, how does it look for tent camping? Thanks.

Bueller? Anyone? Bump? Nobody?

I would assume it's still closed despite what WhiteBlaze pages says, as it takes more then a couple of years for regeneration. Once an area has been designated no camping, it usually stays that way forever. Of course, many hikers have been known to ignore such restrictions. The Long branch shelter is only a couple miles farther along and is down hill from Big Spring
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

My 2021 AWOL says no camping in the area. Land reclamation underway at the old site of Big Spring Shelter. I passed by there in December and didn't see anything open. I recommend either stop at Long Branch Shelter just two miles north or stop at Betty Creek Gap to camp about three miles before Big Spring.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've sent an email to the ATC and we'll see what I get back. We'll be going SOBO, so if we pass Long Branch hoping to stop at Big Spring, we'll be looking at having to go up and down Albert in the evening. If I don't hear back definitively from somebody, I guess we'll just plan on stopping at Long Branch. If I do hear back, I'll post an update.

I wouldn’t want to hike up or down Albert Mountain in the dark but camping there and watching the sunrise is spectacular. I was there the end of November and didn’t get cold, the campsite is somewhat sheltered.

974B9599-8849-41BA-B480-D6429B808C59.jpeg

There is room at the base of the tower to camp but I don't know if it allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    There is room at the base of the tower to camp but I don't know if it allowed.
    When has that stopped anyone? Obviously people do camp there, and no doubt up in the tower. I don't remember how much space there is to camp there, not a whole lot and of course, no water or privy.

If I remember right, the south side of Albert is a bit steeper and longer of a climb (or decent) then the north side. Which is still pretty steep, but not as long. Coming from NH and used to White Mountain trails, it was sort of a joke for me. Really? That's all you got?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yes, there is a legal campsite with fire ring on Albert Mt. with room for several tents. There’s also a small grassy space near the tower with room for one tent but is very exposed.

++ New Posts ++