WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Arm warmers

Default Arm warmers

I'm interested in trying some arm warmers, such as bikers wear, for hiking in colder temps.

My current layering of a silk-weight long sleeve, wool t-shirt, and a grid fleece pullover is perfectly comfortable well into the teens -- and sometimes even too warm with the fleece (as long as I'm moving of course). My core stays quite comfortable, but my arms get a little too cold. I'm interested in arm warmers to fill that gap.

Can anyone who uses them (or who have in the past) give any advice as to what to look for, sizing, a good brand, etc.? Thanks.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I carry and use arm sleeves. The women's tights that have the cuffed ankle, cut those to size. They last a season if not longer.

It sounds like you might benefit from something that cuts the wind rather than just another layer of insulation that the wind can blow through?
    You might find wearing a wind-breaker or wind-shirt instead of one of your other thicker insulating layers works as a better for you?
    I've never seen wind sleeves for sale, but have been successful with rain sleeves that I made by cutting the sleeves off a Tyvek jump suite and wearing them backwards on my arms. The Tyvek suite had baggy sleeves with elastic cuffs, so I just cut off the sleeves and slid the elastic cuff up my arm. It worked surprisingly well on my not overly large arms. I would also be super easy, if you sew, to sew up a couple of ripstop nylon sleeves with elastic on top to hold them in place. A little seam grip, to provide extra friction, on the inside of the elastic part will help hold the leave up.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I tried them during my 2018 Thru Hike, to make a short sleeve shirt into a long sleeve in order to save weight. I did make a mistake of ordering them to fit instead of going a size smaller or tighter. They would stretch with movement between washings and became an aggravation to me personally. As mentioned, my favorite piece of gear was the Patagonia Houdini Wind Shirt. I wore it with just a regular short sleeve hiking shirt above 32* and never wanted anything else when hiking. Used it daily except in the heat of summer.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I see arm warmers on Amazon starting at $10.Had never thought about it before but once again I got some good ideas off WB.Thanks!

Our family has used Pearl Izumi for years when cycling and have been happy. There are plenty of other good brands too. Check some local bike shops to try on. If ordering online they are usually sized based on your bicep. In addition to sizing you will want to get the appropriate fabric weight which should meet your need for warmth rather than focusing on wind resistance. I have ridden a 100 miles in some pretty nasty conditions and arm warmers work great, even in the rain.

I appreciate everyone's comments. I think I'll check out the Pearl Izumi's that were mentioned; they sound like they might be what I'm looking for.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    I appreciate everyone's comments. I think I'll check out the Pearl Izumi's that were mentioned; they sound like they might be what I'm looking for.
    Don't think Pearl Izumi is the only good arm warmer out there. Their "tech fleece" arm warmers are almost identical to others available from several other cycling clothing product lines including Specialized, Bontrager, Co-op, Craft, Castelli, Endura, Giro, etc. It's an almost endless list. I'd encourage a stop by your local bike shop and see what they are stocking so you can try them on and see how you like them. And, I think what you are looking for is generally going to be identified as micro-fleece or thema-fleece or tech-fleece, etc. You get the idea. You probably don't want to thin running tight like arm warmers, but rather the thin but fleecy ones.
    Good luck and don't forget to come back and tell us what you find and how it works or you.

Have fun.

Understood. Thank you.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I've found more use for arm cooling sleeves, because you can always put more on, but only take off so many clothes. I think Moben was the brand. Attractive wild animal patterns; people complimented me on my arm tatoos. Soak them in water and they save the (hot) day.

I have tons of different cycling arm warmers and sun sleeves. One nice thing is the ability to roll the arm warmers down to your wrist say when climbing and then put them back over your arms if getting cool or stopping. For the sun, I just buy inexpensive ones on Amazon because they get disgusting and also tear easily. I prefer arm warmers in Merino and used to buy Ibex in Vermont but they went out of business and the reconstituted Ibex does not carry them. Rapha is one brand that makers merino arm warmers but they are stupid expensive although few would complain of the quality. Many of the cycling arm warmers fit very snug for aerodynamic benefit, so, be careful. For instance, I would not want to take my Assos cycling arm warmers hiking. Even the thin arm and leg sun protectors over some warm and certainly if you give them a small spritze of water now and then, they are much, much cooler than bare skin and take away the need for sun screen

Here’s a hint so you always keep them together and don’t end up with one lost arm warmer.

Remove the first arm warmer. Then hold it in the hand of your still covered arm. As you pull off the second arm warmer it covers the first one so they are both together, one inside the other.

I've purchased SmartWool and a pair of cycling sleeves from Sierra Trading Post. Quality of the SmartWool wasn't great. Saves me carrying a long sleeve shirt. More important to me, I start off with them in the morning and am able to pull them down around my wrists or take them off as I warm up. Don't have to take off my pack and they easily fit in a hip pocket. I always wonder why I don't see more hikers with them.

Quote Originally Posted by stoffa View Post
    I've purchased SmartWool and a pair of cycling sleeves . . . More important to me, I start off with them in the morning and am able to pull them down around my wrists or take them off as I warm up. . .I always wonder why I don't see more hikers with them.
    I hike with a long sleeve base layer and push the sleeves up as I get warm. Then I don't have to keep track of two more clothing items.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I hike with a long sleeve base layer and push the sleeves up as I get warm. Then I don't have to keep track of two more clothing items.
    I have to agree with this. Having managed to misplaced, lose, drop, or forgotten in my haste to escape weather, a myriad of items over the years that include stuff sacks, countless right hand gloves, hats, the occasional sock, and a pair of pants (lowering head in great shame). As to functionality, the less I have to worry about the simpler life gets. A long sleeve base shirt provides the same level of comfort as arm warmers, can be adjusted/removed for changes in temperatures and weather condition during a hike, and does not add to the number of carried items or weight as I always have a base shirt.

While I can see their purpose in cycling or motorcycle use and other activities like fishing, I cannot see how practical these garments would be in long distance hiking the ubiquitous long sleeve base shirt would not solve.

++ New Posts ++