WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    There is a limit you know! Have you heard of cost–benefit analysis and diminishing returns? I'm not judging , just saying..
    You know there is no limit! Have you heard of a 70 + year old going out in the woods for 21+days alone with a 100+ lb pack!
    No I didn't think so. I have no idea what you've been through but this guy's tried, trued, and trusted! And knows all about " benefit analysis and diminishing returns. Just saying!

Thanks tipi, you rock brother!!

There is a limit you know! Have you heard of cost–benefit analysis and diminishing returns? I'm not judging , just saying..
    Go look at his tent of choice the Hilleburg, but make sure you're sitting down lol. Again big $ but a life time of enjoyment!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Expensive is “thinking that you are saving money buying an endless series of inferior products.”
    Economical is buying quality once!
    Wayne
    Which is why I should've gotten a McHale pack 40 years ago---buy quality once and save money in the long run.

I think Skurka wrote something about "Stupid Cheap" as in wasting money burying inferior products when expensive quality items can avoid this.

Case in Point: Paid $200 years ago for a Marmot Minima gtx rain jacket in Paclite. Awesomely awesome!! Oops, two years later had holes in the shell. Upgraded to Arcteryx Alpha SV jacket with Proshell and it's 10 years old after thousands of backpacking days and still going strong.

Problem with this policy is newbs have no clue what they really need or even if they'll be backpacking for the rest of their lives or how much weight they want to haul. So we all make mistakes. But if you're a serious winter backpacker for example, get the best dang goose down bag you can find from WM or Feathered Friends or Valandre and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    You know there is no limit! Have you heard of a 70 + year old going out in the woods for 21+days alone with a 100+ lb pack!
    No I didn't think so. I have no idea what you've been through but this guy's tried, trued, and trusted! And knows all about " benefit analysis and diminishing returns. Just saying!

And when I die on the trail with a ruptured hernia everyone will say I TOLD YOU SO.

Go look at his tent of choice the Hilleburg, but make sure you're sitting down lol. Again big $ but a life time of enjoyment!
    Sadly, even the vaunted Hillies only have a serviceable lifespan of about 600-700 days of use---due to UV degradation of the silnylon fly sheet. But they are the best tents I've ever used---100 denier urethane floors, strong Kerlon flies---waterproof top to bottom.

***!! are you talking about!! before you jump on peoples back be sure you understand what was said! ..so FO JNI!!!

***!! are you talking about!! before you jump on peoples back be sure you understand what was said! ..so FO JNI!!!
    Well now that not nice ..

Well now that not nice ..
    You're right! I'm sorry!! But you robbed me the wrong way with you accusations!

I never said anything bad or demeaning about Tipi , all the respect to him and his accomplishments! All I questioned was the cost of items and diminishing returns and you off pointing fingers at me like i said something bad!
    TBH, I dont care what anyone spends on gear, if you can afford it be my guest... I'm just tying to have a civil conversion and hear different opinions, not get reprimanded because you thought I was attacking Tipi!

Its all good in the woods ..

It's not the first time I've "robbed " someone the wrong way on here. With "you" accusations.....

I was trying to explain the many reasons some might spend extra bucks on equipment and gear, sorry if I "robbed " you the wrong way .... ( now carry on with your bromance.....)

Its all good in the woods ..

It's not the first time I've "robbed " someone the wrong way on here. With "you" accusations.....

I was trying to explain the many reasons some might spend extra bucks on equipment and gear, sorry if I "robbed " you the wrong way .... ( now carry on with your bromance.....)
    .....or I'll have to ...

Journal Entries
    Images

I thinK it was graceful roll from WB who had a Mcale.I think he makes great packs.I know I" d use his for mountaineering...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Hey tipi,

I have a couple questions if you don't mind. That pack is the McHale 85 l ? And do you use a pack cover or are you water proof? If you do did you have to have that pack cover custom made to fit over your multiple bags attached? That pack cover would be big enough to use as a small tarp .

Hey tipi,

I have a couple questions if you don't mind. That pack is the McHale 85 l ? And do you use a pack cover or are you water proof? If you do did you have to have that pack cover custom made to fit over your multiple bags attached? That pack cover would be big enough to use as a small tarp .
    I think Dan calls my pack a Critical Mass II or something. Liters-wise it's about 120-130 or 8,000 cu in---when adding the big yellow back pocket (which is removable for "smaller" loads).

I wish the pack was waterproof. As far as a pack cover, I lucked out several years ago and bought a couple Outdoor Research pack covers in XL config. Sadly it's been discontinued. Like you say it's big enough to be a tarp. Here it is in action on Day 2 of my trip---

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Nicely done . . . great selection of pics . . . they speak volumes, though the territory is unfamiliar to me. (Some terrain, obstacles are universal.)
    As I've grown older winter is my favorite time for extended trips . . . both to rekindle the magic that wilderness solitude offers, and to appreciate nature and test my wits against it . . .
    Still carry my old '72 Kelty Tioga external frame -overloaded by modern standards - and wear my original Patagonia capilene, that was the hottest thing on the market during my AT thru in '91.
    Thanks for posting this . . . brought back fond memories.
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie View Post
    Nicely done . . . great selection of pics . . . they speak volumes, though the territory is unfamiliar to me. (Some terrain, obstacles are universal.)
    As I've grown older winter is my favorite time for extended trips . . . both to rekindle the magic that wilderness solitude offers, and to appreciate nature and test my wits against it . . .
    Still carry my old '72 Kelty Tioga external frame -overloaded by modern standards - and wear my original Patagonia capilene, that was the hottest thing on the market during my AT thru in '91.
    Thanks for posting this . . . brought back fond memories.
    Hey Okie Dokie---I was raised in Enid Okla---and used to fly the state flag at my tipi in NC for years---because it was pretty blue and had the Indian Pipe on it with a Medicine Shield---the original North American religion.

51+DJmpVWZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Tipi Lodge in the Winter-XL.jpg
    Okla flag at lodge circa 1990.

I think we all used Keltys back in the day. Even before the 1970s I used canvas Yucca packs like in 1962 etc.

1963.jpg
    Little Uncle Fungus with his Yucca Pack in Texas 1963.

56-9 A Very Old Kelty Pack d2-XL.jpg
    All Hail Kelty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++