WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fudgefoot View Post
    Man that pack looks massive even for you! It makes Patman's look like a day pack in comparison.

I'd say you were a pretty "productive citizen" doing all that trail maintenance. Thanks for your efforts!
    fudgefoot, just so you know, I was using a 65 liter Six Moons Design Fusion on that trip...not a small pack, lol

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    and then down on brookshire is where we first met (after you lapped me on the BMT before the waterfall)...
    oh yeah that's right, that was our first camp, man you need to get back in my neighborhood, I have many more questions for you...lol, for those that don't know: much like Tipi, TN Hiker is a wealth of local hiking and history knowledge for us East TN and Western NC hikers; meeting up with folks like them has been a super fun part of my ongoing educational endeavors.

in fact, Tipi gifted me with some really cool native American history of the area on this trip being reported....good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    oh yeah that's right, that was our first camp, man you need to get back in my neighborhood, I have many more questions for you...lol, for those that don't know: much like Tipi, TN Hiker is a wealth of local hiking and history knowledge for us East TN and Western NC hikers; meeting up with folks like them has been a super fun part of my ongoing educational endeavors.

in fact, Tipi gifted me with some really cool native American history of the area on this trip being reported....good stuff
    Before Tellico Lake was built---Citico Creek used to drain into Little Tennessee River and at this junction Native Americans have been living for around 12,000--10,000 years. The Lake ruined this spot and pushed the jct back 31 miles.

Images

oh yeah that's right, that was our first camp, man you need to get back in my neighborhood, I have many more questions for you...lol, for those that don't know

hey patman......

thanks..

im still in maryland for a few more months and what not......

after that, moving to western north carolina...

I sent you a couple of emails a few months ago------wasnt sure if i had done something to piss ya off...

Journal Entries
    Images

Tippi where you planning for March?
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Tipi, If I had to guess, you're not and ultralight backpacker what does that pack weight? ...if you don't mind me asking..

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    Tipi, If I had to guess, you're not and ultralight backpacker what does that pack weight? ...if you don't mind me asking..
    Read his first post, I don't think he minds you asking.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Tippi where you planning for March?
    I heard a trail crew opened up Mill Branch trail in Citico Creek wilderness so I may be heading there---and to see some friends up on Bob Statton Bald.

Is it possible to be an ultralight winter backpacker with a 21 day food load? Pack weight on this trip tipped the scales at over 100 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I heard a trail crew opened up Mill Branch trail in Citico Creek wilderness so I may be heading there---and to see some friends up on Bob Statton Bald.
    We may cross paths. I’m heading south on the BMT through the Smokies in mid/late March and plan to spend a week or more backpacking loops in the Citico/Slickrock.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Read his first post, I don't think he minds you asking.

LOL dint see that! Tx "Pack of choice is McHale with about 100+ lbs"

LOL dint see that! Tx "Pack of choice is McHale with about 100+ lbs"
    ...100+ lbs holy moly!! sounds like end of the world get your S*** and go weight!

OMG!! have you guys seen the prices on these packs!!! http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    We may cross paths. I’m heading south on the BMT through the Smokies in mid/late March and plan to spend a week or more backpacking loops in the Citico/Slickrock.
    I'll start my trip on the Citico side (like Jeffrey Hell and South Fork trail)---and need to be on Bob Bald March 5-6---and then loop back down into Citico.

...100+ lbs holy moly!! sounds like end of the world get your S*** and go weight!
    My pack weight for a 21 day trip is usually around 93 lbs (verified) but on this trip I went wild by bringing too much food---hoarding I guess due to it being a January trip and a desire to maximize Comfort Foods. It's a mental illness cuz I ended the trip with about 6 lbs of extra food. Oops. Unconsciously hoped to get snowed in for a month? Probably.

Carrying such a pack is doable if you keep your daily mileage down to around 4---with occasional 7 and 8 mile days---like on this trip. And I had the extra weight of winter gear---like candles and microspikes and down vest and big down parka and 7 Hot Hands packets etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

OMG!! have you guys seen the prices on these packs!!! http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/index.htm
    Yes I have his packs are worth it..I knew another former thru hiker that had one the were using to section hike the PCT.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I'll start my trip on the Citico side (like Jeffrey Hell and South Fork trail)---and need to be on Bob Bald March 5-6---and then loop back down into Citico.

My pack weight for a 21 day trip is usually around 93 lbs (verified) but on this trip I went wild by bringing too much food---hoarding I guess due to it being a January trip and a desire to maximize Comfort Foods. It's a mental illness cuz I ended the trip with about 6 lbs of extra food. Oops. Unconsciously hoped to get snowed in for a month? Probably.

Carrying such a pack is doable if you keep your daily mileage down to around 4---with occasional 7 and 8 mile days---like on this trip. And I had the extra weight of winter gear---like candles and microspikes and down vest and big down parka and 7 Hot Hands packets etc.

Ok now makes sense , 4-8 mpd... must not feel like 100 lbs, I posted on other topic, I tried 30 lbs on REI ,Gregory and Hyperlight 3400 , the HMG 3400 30 lbs felt like 10-15 lbs compared to the other packs and the others packs have those fancy frames(better?)...

What's your point? We have TN local boys who don't think twice about spending $70,000 for a new Ford F-150 Lariat. You see these kind of expensive new trucks everywhere. A McHale pack is worn on my back (unlike a truck) and is cheap when compared to the best of other things. It's the Ferrari of packs and yet it's not $350,000 like a new Ferrari.

Ok now makes sense , 4-8 mpd... must not feel like 100 lbs, I posted on other topic, I tried 30 lbs on REI ,Gregory and Hyperlight 3400 , the HMG 3400 30 lbs felt like 10-15 lbs compared to the other packs and the others packs have those fancy frames(better?)...
    The McHale frame/hipbelt/harness system does make a heavy load seem lighter---something I noticed the first time I tried it. What's weird is my upper body/arm strength can barely handle moving a 100 lb pack around---like when I'm hitchhiking with the thing---and yet once it's on my back I can scoot along pretty well and not notice the weight so much. This is due to strong core muscles down to my hips and legs---old muscle memories from hauling heavy packs for 41 years. The body certainly does "grow into" any repeated activity---whether it's playing a violin or carrying a heavy pack.

What's your point? We have TN local boys who don't think twice about spending $70,000 for a new Ford F-150 Lariat. You see these kind of expensive new trucks everywhere. A McHale pack is worn on my back (unlike a truck) and is cheap when compared to the best of other things. It's the Ferrari of packs and yet it's not $350,000 like a new Ferrari.
    Its expensive!!! thats my point!!! but if you're Jeremiah Johnson a good horse is indispensable!!

Its expensive!!! thats my point!!! but if you're Jeremiah Johnson a good horse is indispensable!!
    Expensive is “thinking that you are saving money buying an endless series of inferior products.”
    Economical is buying quality once!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Expensive is “thinking that you are saving money buying an endless series of inferior products.”
    Economical is buying quality once!
    Wayne
    There is a limit you know! Have you heard of cost–benefit analysis and diminishing returns? I'm not judging , just saying..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++