WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Should the ATC end the 2000-Miler Award?

Voters
25. This poll is closed
  • Yes, It’s time has gone.

5 20.00%
  • No, Keep it.

20 80.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    If the OP doesn't like that ATC suspended recognition for the pandemic, why does the OP wish to further stop ATC recognition by ending it forever.
    OP here.

While this is a straight forward topic, I would like to state that I have believed (and have suggested on WhiteBlaze previously) that the ATC should dispense with the 2,000-Miler certification for many years.

The reason for the poll was to circle back and see if the Overton Window on this topic had changed.

In years prior, I think only Lone Wolf got it.

Since the number of 2000 miler certificates issued each year by the ATC remains high, indicating significant interest, NO it should not be eliminated.

The ATC should hand out smiley and 'I thru hiked the AT' stickers with the certificates. About time the certificates had more gold foil too. I think it good folks be recognized for their achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    In the past ATC has changed the requirements for a thru hike. I believe 2016 or 2017 ATC accepted SoBo thru hikers who hiked from Katahdin to Hot Springs as thru hikers. That was because of the multiple wildfires AT south of there BUT also the hazardous dry conditions that could become wildfires. Also in the past ATC allowed vehicle bypassing of hazardous sections, now I believe such requirement is to walk the roads around the hazard instead. ATC has set the standard for it's purpose, and can change it when a change is deemed needed.

In the case of the pandemic it's not as simple as the probability of thru hikers spreading the coronavirus, but the perception of it in trail towns and the possibility of a 'hot zone' around trail towns. ATC has worked very hard with the trail towns and some areas can still be hostel to hikers (due to how the AT corridor was taken from the people there). Maintaining good relations with the trail towns is arguably part of ATC's mission, and even if you don't agree with that, ATC does.
    I don't have a problem with the ATC changing requirements due to trail conditions, but I think they are out of their lane basing recognition on the conditions surrounding the pandemic. At best its a judgement call that they are not qualified to make.

I guess it doesn't really matter because I don't think people will decide not to hike based on if the ATC is going to recognize their accomplishment.

Rickb I appreciate that you tried to edit the poll. You have still placed your personal bias into the question. It's good practice to try to be neutral when conducting a poll. When threads are started in SF that aren't tightly constructed, it is burdensome to the moderation team to have to remove posts. Even though the rules are clearly stated, people then get mad at us when we take down not SF enough responses. Here I pointed out in my response that I was asking as a mod, hopefully keying people in why I was posting and so that others wouldn't but it did not prevent further not SF responses either. I am going to close it because it doesn't appear to be a workable SF thread.
    Side note if anyone is trying to edit the title of their thread, look for the Title box, for some reason it can be hard to see I think sometimes it's necessary to use the Go Advanced option.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++