WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Zoleo

Default Zoleo

I recently got a Zoleo, for those unfamiliar, it is a small device that connects to the iridium satellite network and your phone that allows for text or e-mail from nearly anyplace on earth. You can send check-in and sos messages from only the device but you will need your phone to send custom messages. It doesn’t send out or keep a track and only sends your gps coordinates with the sos or check-in. If you are sending a message to someone that has the zoleo app you can use up to 950 characters per message, otherwise it is 160. You are assigned a unique sms phone number and e-mail which makes keeping in contact pretty convenient.

The cost of the unit is $200, monthly messaging plans are $20/25 messages, $35/250, or $50 unlimited. A message is either sent or received. If you have cell or wifi connectivity it will automatically use that at no charge.

I have tested it a couple backcountry places and it was quickly connected to the satellite and messages were sent and received pretty quickly.

If you are looking for a good way to stay in touch with family or friends, and have a way to get help if needed, while deep in the woods this is a very good option to consider.

Journal Entries
    Images

You get it at Cabellas? I had to look it up..I would still want a inreach compared to that to overlay maps for different trips
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    You get it at Cabellas? I had to look it up..I would still want a inreach compared to that to overlay maps for different trips
    Bought on amazon. I had an inreach explorer+ and the gps/mapping interface and messaging interface was pretty rough; phone based gaia and/or guthooks much better and user friendly on the trail. The inreach messaging doesn’t get you a dedicated contact sms, so it is confusing to family resulting in missed messages. The zoleo excels at messaging but that’s all you get.

Were you using the Earthmate app with your E+ Maineiac64 or just the device UI? I resolved the lack of dedicated address by telling people who need to get in touch to hang on to a message from me so they can send a reply any time they need to. inReach is nice because it works without the phone. That comes into play on trips where I don't want to carry one or when power reserves are low.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    inReach is nice because it works without the phone. That comes into play on trips where I don't want to carry one or when power reserves are low.
    That was a huge draw for the inReach Explorer+ for me as well. Its battery should last quite a bit longer than the phone, rather than creating another point of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Were you using the Earthmate app with your E+ Maineiac64 or just the device UI? I resolved the lack of dedicated address by telling people who need to get in touch to hang on to a message from me so they can send a reply any time they need to. inReach is nice because it works without the phone. That comes into play on trips where I don't want to carry one or when power reserves are low.
    Yes, I used earthmate app. On the zoleo, you can use just the device without the phone to send an im ok check-in message to a pre selected set of contacts or send sos. The device also alerts to incoming message so you can leave phone off and just turn it on if you want to read the message. Im always with my phone so that is not key concern for me.

++ New Posts ++