I'm looking for a durable, fairly lightweight freestanding one- or two-person tent for solo section hikes, mainly on the AT, mainly in warmer months, mainly a few days to a few weeks in duration.

I've been using an REI Trail Dome for 20 years. We loved it; it could sleep three; we divided the weight. It's worn out and my two sons no longer backpack with me. So I'm ready to move to something smaller and lighter.

I don't use trekking poles (and won't; I prefer my stout dogwood staff), so the tent must be freestanding (IE, no poles required for setup). Money is not decisive but is important. $200 to $300 would be great but if by far the best choices are more, I'd consider going higher.

I've done enough research to see that Big Agnes products are highly thought of. And I think the MSR Hubba is a good candidate.

The biggest thing seems to be that most of the ultralight products don't have a tub bottom and thus need the benefit of a separate tarp. All things considered, I prefer the tub for durability. If it really proved durable, I'd likely backpack without a footprint. But if the very, very best way to go is UL, no tub, footprint, I'll do it.

I've done enough research now that I'm overwhelmed with info, options, reviews, uncertainties.

Last fall, my wife picked up a Eureka bivy with fiberglass poles for $10 at a yard sale. You can't beat that price, and I'm not picky, so I took it. It was okay but heavy condensation and the poles shredded after the first use. I'd consider a bivy but only if a decided majority of the informed folks on WhiteBlaze said "best option, hands down." I prefer the design and room of a freestanding, though, and lean towards it.

Any thoughts from you folks?