I have had low level hypothermia several times and there is no way I could like a fire. One time my hands were not working and I could barely walk. It was about 3 am and the forecast low was 50F in the Sonoran desert (October) but it dipped to 32F. I was in a 24 hour bike race. I left the race to my hotel about 7 miles away when it was clear I was in trouble. It really did not take long to get into trouble. I had the most difficult time putting the card into the lock to get into my room. I got warmer clothing on, stood under the heat lamp, cranked the heater, and poured warm sweet tea down my pipe. Once I started to shiver again, I knew it was just a matter of time.

Another instance was crossing the Continental Divide at midnight in a bike race where there was a momma grizly and her cubs at the top of the pass. It was scary but the Sheriff would not leave me until I hit 50 mph on the descent because he said they can run 45 mph. He had his gun out riding with me. I had just climbed a big pass and was very hot but not sweating despite it being 26F. He told me not to stop until I got to Dubois. By then, I was really frozen. I should have stopped and put warm clothing on but all I could think was the grizzly coming after me and then your brain gets cold and does not work good. I stopped at the Stupid 8 motel with a vacancy light on. The night guy would not give me a room (probably because I smelled and could barely talk). I just kept drinking coffee and after warning up, I explained he can call the police that I am really, really cold. Eventually after 45 minutes, he decided to let me buy a room. There is not freakin way my hands could have made a fire.

The lesson I learned is the first shiver if you are solo? Take Action. In backcountry, I think that action is getting shelter and into my back with dry warm clothing.