WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp Question

I purchased the Pocket Tarp w/ Storm Doors last year along with the Solo Plus bathtub groundsheet. I've pitched it in stormy weather about five times now, and no matter the pitch, the sides of the ground sheet always flare out past the confines of the tarp and water pours into the bathtub.

My solution is to downgrade my bathtub floor from the Solo Plus to the Solo. Before I commit to spending $100 on the smaller ground sheet, does anyone with a Pocket Tarp and the Solo bathtub have problems with water flowing in?

I pitch mine very low in when rain and cold wind . Shorten the center pole. Have even put tree limbs on it to keep snow , draft out. I use window shrink film not a bathtub floor. So this might b any help.

thom

I have an older 0.34 Hex tarp without storm doors. I have used it with the regular size bathtub floor and it does not extend beyond the walls. I did find that unless I unhooked the two parts it became a tangled mess so just went to a polycryo groundsheet.

I had one and tried to like it. I ended up getting a bivy and stuck with that combo for awhile. I sold the pocket tarp. I am 5' 11" and found the coverage just a bit tight. The bivy sorta solved the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    I had one and tried to like it. I ended up getting a bivy and stuck with that combo for awhile. I sold the pocket tarp. I am 5' 11" and found the coverage just a bit tight. The bivy sorta solved the issues.
    What did you end up going with??

There are a handful of videos on youtube of folks with the same issue.

The only solve ive seen is adding those mitten hooks on DCF tape and sticking them inside in strategic locations. To me, it seems like a mess and a pain to get just right. Thats a reason thats kept me from going to a modular system like this. In theory it sounds nice, but in the end I think there is just too much fiddle factor.

I own a duplex and really want something smaller for long distance solo hikes

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    What did you end up going with??
    A Jimmy tarp. 10 ounces and I can pitch it a few different ways. It is big enough for comfort in a storm with room to spare.

++ New Posts ++