WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hot Springs to Damascus

Aiming to get in 60-75 miles next week somewhere in this stretch; still not sure on exactly which section.

Supposed to get into the 40s approaching 50 temp-wise next week, but another winter storm pushing through this week.

Will there still be snow up on the mountains? If so, where (specific mountain or elevation) and how how much? I don't mind some on the ground, but don't want to be post-holing like the images I've seen in the Smokies.

Any other challenges/issues on the terrain I should consider?

This USFS site is pretty current on snow depth, you can scroll and hone in on specific location.

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/SierraSnowDepth

Awesome, thanks! Had not seen this before. Will be uber helpful as I work through these sections.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    This USFS site is pretty current on snow depth, you can scroll and hone in on specific location.

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/SierraSnowDepth

I was up around the shelton graves area last week. It was a few days after a snow and it had been warmish for the season. At a glance at the long range local forecast, I'd say that for sure there will still be snow here and there. It would slow you down a little and in general just be a pain in the butt. It has been a wetter than average winter - just yucky. You'd have more of a drive but if I were looking for what you describe this time of the year, I'd head to the Foothills Trail

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I just finished the Foothills Trail on 2/17 and it's a gem for sure. This was my 3rd hike of the trial and I've enjoyed it each time. It's no pushover - there are about 10,000 wooden steps going straight up and lots of short, steep 200-500' climbs. So many waterfalls.. great campsites, lots of water... highly recommend.

You would likely find snow on Roan Mountain and around that area. Roan High Knob shelter can be a very cold place, froze my butt off there on a night in late April. The balds could be a sloppy, slushy, muddy mess too. It would depend on exactly how the storm plays out. Direct hit or near miss?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++