WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Views from McAfee Knob — one of the Appalachian Trail's most photographed spots — wil

Excuse my ignorance, McAfee is often photographed with the sun setting? (I think?) or rising. What direction is the knob orientated, east, west, or? And what part of the day offers the best view of it and of the valley below?

Any comments on tenting at Campbel Shelter, Catawba Shelter or John's Spring Shelter"?

Thanks for the information.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, McAfee is often photographed with the sun setting? (I think?) or rising. What direction is the knob orientated, east, west, or? And what part of the day offers the best view of it and of the valley below?

Any comments on tenting at Campbel Shelter, Catawba Shelter or John's Spring Shelter"?

Thanks for the information.
    The knob actually faces north out crpped to the valley..I live 20 mins away by car...What you see is when the sun is rising its moving across the valley.. ^ am is good time to catch morning...Summer about 830 pm for night ...Its nice to bring family here for that hike when they visit...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Thanks. Checking the map with detail I see that it is directed north and a good photo would be morning from the west (A T south).

Yeah, as long as the day is reasonably clear you can get great sunrise photos from there.

Personally I found it underwhelming. Did not even stop for photo...

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Personally I found it underwhelming. Did not even stop for photo...
    Your reliable nature as a ray of sunshine is ever appreciated.

Images

McAfee was nice, but so was Tinker Cliffs... similar view without the crowds.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    McAfee was nice, but so was Tinker Cliffs... similar view without the crowds.
    For sure - the whole section from Dragon's Tooth up to Daleville is full of good views.

++ New Posts ++