WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My wife and I were just a couple of months into our "big year" - a year off to see as many different species of birds as possible; visit national parks; and backpack every trail that caught our fancy - we had been tracing along the Gulf Coast from Florida to Louisiana and were on our way into Texas when the temperature started dropping precipitously and the wind picked up steadily until by the time we got to Sea Rim state park, it was ripping by at gale force - we tried valiantly to set up our ancient VE24 on the beach but finally gave it up as a fools errand . Drove into High Island and got one of the very few motel rooms we stayed in all year (we were doing the entire year on about 8,500 dollars). We called my brother who was house sitting for us at our place on Wesser Creek (just a couple miles from NOC) and he told us bout the snow in NC - they eventually got a little over three feet and were snow bound for ten days w/o electricity or much in the way of food - fortunately there's a small country store close by and they could melt snow on the wood stove for cooking and toilet flushing. Heard about the Cranbrook kids in the Smokies while listening to NPR - epic.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

The 93 storm left us with a tremendous amount of ice.

Jan 6-8 1996 left us with 52" of snow! We were snowed in for a week with no power. But a great wood stove and generator.
    Somebody around the corner from us called in a medical emergency so they brought in the military hummers and national guard to extract the victim. Which cleared my way out.

Oh the medical emergency was a young lady ran out of drugs and was going through DT'S ...

I think was probably on a research ship in the middle of the Arabian Sea bummed I was missing a good storm back home. Hit crazy mid-winter lows of 72 degrees and rained for 15 minutes the day we got back to port in Muscat Oman, the first rain they'd had in three years - but that's apparently not considered a drought there.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Where were you during the storm of the century in March of 1993? Any stories of being on trail?
    On Turkey Stamp and Blood Mountain -thank goodness for a stone shelter with a fireplace, door and shutters! Not to mention the miracle of polypro and gore-tex.
    See my story on this thread:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...-13?highlight=

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to link directly to the entire thread.

It was mayhem in my community, north of Rome, Georgia. We received at least 18 inches of snow and the temperature dropped to 9 degrees the second night of the storm. We lost power for a week but had a gas-fed hot water heater and stove and a wood-burning fireplace, so neighbors and friends sought refuge at our place. We had fun. The next weekend, my wife and I bailed to visit family in toasty-warm Brunswick, Georgia. Then, the week after that, some of us canoed Mountaintown Creek near Ellijay. It was running high and cold but lovely.

They call it the Storm of the Century and, more simply, "The Blizzard." The descriptions and fame are fitting. In the 42 years I've lived in north Georgia, there's been nothing else close to it. Many years, we receive no measurable snow. None this winter, so far.

Middle school in Nassau County, NY. We got several feet of snow. The thing I always remember from that storm were the giant mounds of plowed snow at the Nassau Coliseum parking lot, which I passed by every day on the way to school. The last remnants of those piles lasted into June!
    It is what it is.

I had just left Camp Ethan Allen, Jericho, Vermont.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++