WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

And the water source there is like a half mile down the hill ....

Journal Entries
    Images

Yep, it’s true! Patched up already and the shelter smells a bit smokey...this is why we can’t have nice things: 9342C5CB-A18E-433F-8F76-66C221EB2B7E.jpeg
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Yep, it’s true! Patched up already and the shelter smells a bit smokey...this is why we can’t have nice things: 9342C5CB-A18E-433F-8F76-66C221EB2B7E.jpeg
    Not too bad, could have been a lot worse. The hole I saw burnt into the floor of a shelter was 4 feet across. They were probably trying to take down the whole place.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

The shelters were great for a while, but with homeless, vandalism and other things happening it would be better to eliminate them and just leave campsites in their place. Tents have gotten better and anyone that does not carry one is lazy. You can still have privies and tent spots. I've seen too much as a boundary corroder monitor and part time shelter helper.

It's been proven even with a room full of encyclopedias,
    You just can't fix stupid!!

A big shout out and a big thanks to the shelter maintainer and or whomever did the repairs !!

Journal Entries
    Images

Thats a good repair...Wonder if the less than bright person learned something positive after doing this...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Thats a good repair...Wonder if the less than bright person learned something positive after doing this...
    Like not to start a fire on a wooden floor?

I wonder if they would do that at home, say on their wooden deck?

The answer is probably because they probably still live with mommy and daddy and just don't care.

When I stayed there when it was fairly new, the outhouse had a holding tank with no way to get rid of liquids. so it was pretty ripe. A PATC maintainer told us that at the time Maryland did not allow new septic systems so they had to put in a tank which meant that they had to put a way to get up to the site with a pumping truck. He claimed getting a workable right of way up to the location was harder than getting the shelter built. I am curious if they finally figured out a way to put in standard outhouse?.

Privies on trails in the Olympic Peninsula use helicopters to carry out full containers and have ample signage to keep water out of the privy tank and use the surrounding woods for urination. I believe this method is also used in other areas of Washington State like Alpine Lakes wilderness as well.

It's been a couple of years since I've been up there but there privy is new . It's one of those type you have to walk up some 10 steps and is a 4' piece of plywood all the way around meaning the bottom 2' is open and the top 2' is open. Which is nice and roomy and airy (non stink) , but it sits not far from the shelter at all and can be a little awkward I guess for the loud and shy .

But Traveler is correct you're not supposed to pee in a dry privy it slows the bacteria down needed to get rid of the poo, there's typically some Lyme or wood chips people are supposed toss a little down the hole . This type of privy is probably the easiest for them to maintain.

I don't think any of them use septic systems there would be alot of digging involved and a drain field needed. And just not needed or not ideal for a dry system.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    The shelters were great for a while, but with homeless, vandalism and other things happening it would be better to eliminate them and just leave campsites in their place. Tents have gotten better and anyone that does not carry one is lazy. You can still have privies and tent spots. I've seen too much as a boundary corroder monitor and part time shelter helper.
    In a snow storm and in winter, shelters can save lives.
    Last edited by stephanD; 02-21-2021 at 21:03.

I know there are shelters that are problematic from a vagrancy standpoint. But to me there is such a great feeling going to sleep in a shelter on a rainy night knowing that you won’t have to pack up a wet tent in the morning.

But I wouldn’t be keen to pack in like a sardine in one, as it sounds like happens early in the NOBO bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    but one should always go into the back country in that scenario knowing the shelter on their back is gonna save their life. a wooden box set up above the ground sucks. my opinion

Speaking from experiance, my tarp is not going to keep out a bear but the outhouse kept him out until he decided that food was easier to get some place else. It was a long night..

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    Speaking from experiance, my tarp is not going to keep out a bear but the outhouse kept him out until he decided that food was easier to get some place else. It was a long night..
    An outhouse won’t always keep the bears out. ��

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/02/bea...ouse-encounter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Stupid is as stupid does.... (assuming it's true).

My faith in humanity is at an all time low.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Amen brother. Something I've agreed with for years.

A tent shelter can save lives. Reminds me of an AT backpacker who didn't bring a tent and suffered an injury and couldn't reach a shelter and almost died from exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    but one should always go into the back country in that scenario knowing the shelter on their back is gonna save their life. a wooden box set up above the ground sucks. my opinion
    Couldn't agree more.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Perhaps, but better to be prepared with your own shelter. Outdoor shelters have a long history of burning down at inopportune times; you can't rely on them being there when you need them. If you're winter hiking and planning on a shelter, best bring a shovel - shelters on the long trail are sometimes half full of snow.

We are a bit off thread here so I will say just that - one does not obsolete the other. Not all backpackers are as experienced and skilled as Tipi Walter, especially on the AT. For those rookies shelters are indispensable, especially in cold weather. Many hikers (mostly men) overestimate their backpacking skills and underestimate the elements. that's just how it is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++