WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default (Colorado) Man fights off mountain lion that was attacking his dog

/www.9news.com/article/life/animals/estes-park-mountain-lion-attacks-dog/73-a8456757-34fd-4ce5-ab36-27f752e9c850

This may be an encore...
    In 2009, I was hiking the CT, on a ridge high above and east of Breck. I looked down and in the dust was an extremely large and perfectly formed mountain lion paw print. WHOA!
    I bent over to get a better look and while studying it I heard a noise off to the west. I looked up and saw a guy on a mountain bike riding towards me. When he got closer I yelled, "Hey, look at THIS," pointing down.
    He stopped, got off his bike and bent over to take a look. Then he looked up at me... His face resembled this . He said, "Man... That's a BIG one!" I nodded and said pretty seriously, "I'll trade you my pack for your bike..." He stood up fast, jumped on the bike and yelled, "NO WAY," as he zoomed off down the trail.
    I was alone... I felt like I was being watched.... My eyes darted around, this way and that... everywhere. GULP!
    Later, I set up my tent, just off the trail on one of the numerous switchbacks that lead down to Breck. I was abruptly awakened later that night to the sound of a nearby stick snapping. It was loud... Adrenaline raced through me like a lightning bolt. I think my face looked like this... I reached for my trusty Swiss Army knife and laid on my back with the blade pointing up. If that old mountain lion pounced on my tent, I was determined to get in at least one good jab. I strained my ears, listening... I had visions of it dragging me off... hanging me in a tree or stashing me in some hidden cave to munch on me at a later time...
    (A-hem) Yes, well... Needless to say, I lived, (phew) but I didn't sleep much the rest of that night!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Ole one eyed Sadie is one lucky dog for sure.
    Adrenaline is an amazing chemical release and can make us super human!! Good for that guy saving his dog and he's very lucky as well that cat gave up.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by McPick View Post
    ...He stopped, got off his bike and bent over to take a look. Then he looked up at me... His face resembled this . He said, "Man... That's a BIG one!" I nodded and said pretty seriously, "I'll trade you my pack for your bike..." He stood up fast, jumped on the bike and yelled, "NO WAY," as he zoomed off down the trail...
    It's often MTBers and runners that get attacked, usually from behind. You look more like the cat's usual prey that way, a deer running away. The biker did you a favor by riding away. He was your decoy.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

They don't pounce on your tent. They pounce on your head from behind, then shake and break your neck. One strategy is to put fake eyeballs on the back of your hat, because the scardy cats won't pounce if they think you are looking at them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation How to survive

he's very lucky as well that cat gave up
    Surprisingly, most adult humans can survive an attack from a mountain lion IF they fight the cat like hell after the initial attack.
    https://lifehacker.com/how-to-surviv...ack-1786558318
    The key is to remember that this is NOT a time to fight fair, because the mountain lion IS trying to kill you! Any weapon you can use -- including a pen to the cat's eye -- is "allowed."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6301575.stm
    The cat won't give up easily, and you definitely won't survive "without a scratch," but the key is to "convince" the attacking mountain lion that you're just not worth the battle.

++ New Posts ++