WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let talk chairs. Chair Zero or Ground Chair

Ok ok. I’ve been brain washed! I am going to start backpacking with a chair.

My gut says to just get the Chair Zero, but everyone I talk to says the little legs sink into soft ground all the time.

I noticed on Helinox website they have a similar looking chair called the Ground Chair. It is 5oz heavier but offers a more stable base.

Wondering if anyone has used the Ground Chair and what they think?

Images

i've used the REI version of the chair zero---basically same thing but less expensive...

and while it does sink a little bit, there are ways around it.......picking a firmer spot of ground...
    putting down a piece of wood.....or something like that...

after years of using a log to sit on, and my back hurting after a few hours of sitting around
    reading and tending the fire-----it was one of the best purchases i have made...

looking at the ground chair-----to me---that looks to be more difficult to get outta of
    especially after a long day of hiking...........

I have a Big Agnus mica basin chair. It's 2lb 3oz. Super comfortable but too heavy for long hikes for me

I've been using a Thermarest chair for over 15 years. I don't like the newer Compack style, the ones I have use a pocket on both ends while the Compack is open. The pockets protect the pad when deployed. It's a small area that's not covered though and I did see a picture where the pad is extended like a lounge chair so that might be nice! The Sea to Summit Air Chair 955 has a pocket on one end (the bottom). I haven't tried either the Compack or the Seat to Summit but the Sea to Summit seems like it might support the back better as there is a full panel on the back vs the strip on the Compack.

I have a set of chairs similar to the two mentioned., they sit the same height. They are comfortable too but I don't bring them backpacking they are more for concerts/festivals as they are lighter and more compact than most folding chairs but heavier than my T-rest chair (11 oz).
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post

My gut says to just get the Chair Zero, but everyone I talk to says the little legs sink into soft ground all the time.

I noticed on Helinox website they have a similar looking chair called the Ground Chair. It is 5oz heavier but offers a more stable base.

I don't carry a chair very often but when I do it's the Chair Zero. If you're in an area that has flat rocks such as slate, they're great for putting under the feet for support.

I often bring an eno sub7 hammock, can sit in it sideways or lay down in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I often bring an eno sub7 hammock, can sit in it sideways or lay down in camp.
    Maybe I'm just dense here - but how is plugging a hammock supposed to be relevant to a 'let's talk about chairs' conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Maybe I'm just dense here - but how is plugging a hammock supposed to be relevant to a 'let's talk about chairs' conversation?
    That original question, it got me thinking, although he asked about a chair, he is probably looking for a way to sit. I deduced it. Then I recalled how when I was trying to figure out how I was going to sit while in camp, I came up with bringing along this nifty mini hammock that is lighter than a chair. So I thought maybe this feller that is looking for a chair, so as to be able to sit, might want to consider a mini hammock as an alternative.

Fortunately this thread is not in Straight Forward so I can tout the beauty of using my pack as a "chair" in lazy-boy style when leaning back to rest. I do this many times a day during reststops. I've been accused of carrying too many items but a chair is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Fortunately this thread is not in Straight Forward so I can tout the beauty of using my pack as a "chair" in lazy-boy style when leaning back to rest. I do this many times a day during reststops. I've been accused of carrying too many items but a chair is not one of them.

In the infantry we called that a stop and flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    In the infantry we called that a stop and flop.
    Excellent. And the bigger and heavier the pack the better the chair.

The only drawback is when a hunting dog swings by and pees on my pack---which this cur did---
    TRIP 170 147-XL.jpg

The alite mayfair has bars across the bottom not individual feet.

I still have a Sling Light that goes with me on about 1/2 of my trips and gets use at all kinds of other shin digs. An added bonus, if I can't rise from it I know I've imbibed too much.

www.slinglight.com

I’ll have to look into chair zero.... I’d probably do more short trips involving time in camp if I had a place to sit. And shorter trips are light enough with less food weight so that a chair might not be a burden as it would on a thru hike

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

That's a lumpy-ass chair and you're only comfortable because you got that behemoth off your back! Besides when you get to camp lots of stuff comes out of people's packs. No comparison.

BTW, I've seen it written several times recently where folks say "Well, this isn't in Straight Forward, so I can go off-topic". That's not the case, the following has always been in the user agreement
    5. Do not post inflammatory messages, spam, “off topic” posts, or hijack topics.
    Outside of SF there is leeway--last 2 items--on this rule but not carte blanche. Enough said.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I tried the hammock idea. In practice it didn't work very well as a chair. Hard to beat a chair you can just unfold and plop down most anywhere. Not that I ever carried a chair, but I can see the advantages. Just don't get one of those three legged stools. What I've seen of them, they are a hazard!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I’ll have to look into chair zero.... I’d probably do more short trips involving time in camp if I had a place to sit. And shorter trips are light enough with less food weight so that a chair might not be a burden as it would on a thru hike
    That's right in line with my thinking... easy overnighters with friends where the emphasis is on camping, yakking and yukking it up.

Chair_Zero_and_fire_SMALL.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Takeing a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post

If you think you should take a chair, by all means take one. When you get to Neels Gap, you can send it home.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    If you think you should take a chair, by all means take one. When you get to Neels Gap, you can send it home.
    Yep, don't just leave it on the side of the trail when you tire of carrying it, like somebody did on the Laurel Highlands Trail. I don't know the full story, of course, so maybe it was accidentally dropped, but it doesn't seem like something that would go unnoticed...

chair_abandoned.jpg

Registered User Creature Feature's Avatar

I've also been wanting a chair for camp. The 'lazy boy' works great on the trail but in camp, most everything comes out of the pack and it looses that nice pillow shape. I came up with a variation of the REI Trail Chair using my Osprey Exos58 pack, trekking poles, accordion style pad, two straps and two carabiners - all items that I hike with anyway. Although I haven't tried it out on the trail yet, the pack and poles seem to withstand the stresses from sitting on it - I would position the poles so that you're sitting on them to reduce bending stress. The one disadvantage is that it goes akimbo when vacated but it's simple enough to reposition it to sit back down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++