WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What fuels will be easily available on the Mid State Trail?

I'm buying a new stove for my MST hike, but I'm concerned that I'll get out there and not be able to find fuel. What would be my best bet?

I assume you are referring to the Mid State Trail of Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or somewhere else?

I'd recommend you figure out where you'll be most likely to resupply and make a few phone calls.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Wood with an accelerant (which could vary) would be available. A light weight 4 panel SS or Ti wood stove setup works very well, super light, fast and hot, but also takes skill to master and you might be left in the cold without such skills and experience.

Jetboil with a medium sized canister could last over a month, so resupply may not be needed. It would be a dependable 22 liters of boiled water (actually more but a good guideline is grams of fuel/10=liters of water), you can calculate how far that will take you.

If your talking about PA's Mid State Trail, It looks to me like there are plenty of towns near the trail with hardware stores, auto parts stores or grocery stores. You might need to call around and see what is available.
    or
    you can send yourself a fuel canister and other supplies via general delivery mail and pick up your packages at the local Post Office.
    or
    you can cache supplies including fuel. Leave a sealed 5 gal bucket hidden near a trail head. Just remember to go back and pick up your empty caches when you complete your hike.

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I'm talking about Pennyslvania's trail.

Can I send a fuel canister in a mail drop? I've never tried that--just assumed it wasn't allowed.

You can send a fuel canister via USPS. Just need to let them know its in the package.

By the By... Mid State Trail looks like a wonderful hike. I'm going to have to put it on my todo list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    By the By... Mid State Trail looks like a wonderful hike. I'm going to have to put it on my todo list.
    The stretch through Rothrock SF is spectacular with vistas. Planning for water is more important than planning for fuel on this trail, IMO

MST (PA) is a great trail. Plenty of challenge and scenery reward. Ups and downs to remember. Would work with a woodburner as was pointed out. Can mail Esbit in resupplies if that's what you decide to do. Can purchase alcohol or yellow Heat at hardware stores. Canisters may be harder to find, but can probably work too.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++