WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Power Banks

Images

No phone equals no video

not necessarily true....

most point and shoots nowadaze have video option...

i know the last point and shoot i bought 15 years ago had video as an option..

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    not necessarily true....

most point and shoots nowadaze have video option...

i know the last point and shoot i bought 15 years ago had video as an option..
    True, but the multi-use of the phone makes it the better choice for my application. I have debated buying a nice camera but in reality, the only time it is warranted for my style of photog/filming is the occasional need for a real zoom. I wished I had a real camera last year during the elk rut as I wasn't getting close to those big boys but my phone camera was definitely not adequate.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Almost exactly 2x weight the 10k, whereas the 10k is only about 20% more than the 5k.

Guessing that one would have more effective charge with the 20k, but still seems like 2 10ks would give you more optionality.

I just turn the phone off now. Bring a map and a book. And use the phone only in emergency. Nice to get away from it.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

Nitecore NB10000 is 1 oz light than anker Powercore 10000
    Nitecore ~ $60, Anker, $25
    Same capacity.

Seems like a fairly expense 1 oz for something that is going to need to be replaced every year or 2?

Gravity

How much is a reasonable amount to spend per gram saved? NB10000 vs Ankler Powercore is 31 grams differential and 35 bucks or about $1.10 per gram. $1.10 per gram saved is a lot.

Let's say someone has a base weight of 9 pounds, how much would they spend to drop 1 pound (around 454 grams)? Would they spend $454 dollars on a tent to drop 1 pound?

I feel I am going the wrong way, I added a wide, full length pad, a freakin pillow and a warmer sleeping bag. I suppose if I needed the capacity, the NB10000 has my number.....looks like a beauty. I think I can make due with my 2.9 oz 5000 mAh lipstick

What pushed me to spend the extra money for the NB20000 wasn't just the weight, but the reported shock and weather resistance. Maybe this could be achieved with a ziplock baggie; I don't know. But lighter weight and not to worry if the rain seeps into my pack is worth something also.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    How much is a reasonable amount to spend per gram saved? NB10000 vs Ankler Powercore is 31 grams differential and 35 bucks or about $1.10 per gram. $1.10 per gram saved is a lot.

Let's say someone has a base weight of 9 pounds, how much would they spend to drop 1 pound (around 454 grams)? Would they spend $454 dollars on a tent to drop 1 pound?

I feel I am going the wrong way, I added a wide, full length pad, a freakin pillow and a warmer sleeping bag. I suppose if I needed the capacity, the NB10000 has my number.....looks like a beauty. I think I can make due with my 2.9 oz 5000 mAh lipstick
    People spend good money to drop weight, $600+ tents that weigh 1.25lbs are very common. The incremental cost for weight savings will go up so at lower weights the cost savings will be much more expensive but the value of that is up to each person to decide.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    What pushed me to spend the extra money for the NB20000 wasn't just the weight, but the reported shock and weather resistance. Maybe this could be achieved with a ziplock baggie; I don't know. But lighter weight and not to worry if the rain seeps into my pack is worth something also.
    Well, I have used a simple ziplock for my Ankers over the years and have had no water issues with them, but that being said, I agree, those Nitecore's look great, lots of benefits beside the modest 1-ounce weight savings, when my anker goes belly-up, I'll definitely spring for the extra bucks, especially given how pleased I am with my Nitecore headlamp. Excellent product.

That "$1/gram" math, though true, isn't much of a deal for low cost items.

NB20000 also charges at a much faster rate than the NB10000. 30W vs 18W. Could be important for some.

I do wonder if the carbon fibre will play well with Cuban

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post

What fascinates me is someone 20+ overweight spending hundreds of dollars on ultralight gear. Not judging anyone but it's a bit like getting a Pizza Hut Supreme Pan Pizza and a 2 liter diet coke.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    What fascinates me is someone 20+ overweight spending hundreds of dollars on ultralight gear. Not judging anyone but it's a bit like getting a Pizza Hut Supreme Pan Pizza and a 2 liter diet coke.
    Folks make this argument all the time, like "lose 20lbs off your body before investing in UL gear"...

My take is that pounds hanging off your back (in your backpack) are much more uncomfortable than pounds on your body, which your body has become mostly adapted to.

Sure, the pounds on your body matter, of course they do for many reasons, but most thru hikers manage to lose many of those extra pounds, and if you have good, UL gear, well, life on the trail becomes real fine.

Not that I promote spending hundreds of $$$ to save a few ounces, but a 1-pound, $600 tent is sure worth saving 3 pounds, if you can afford it.

Okay, sounds like I didn't miss anything. The anker powercore is comparable to the nightcore NB10000 and then it's a cost vs weight decision.

I personally look at the big picture. If I can save a 1lb, I'll consider it. If I can add up several things to save a lb, consider it. But something like the power supply - best to skip it to save the most weight. But I'm not going to sweat 1 oz difference for one piece that gets replaced regularly due to limited life of the backup. I can stress about it at a future time, maybe when I have a longer hike planned.

Tom

Does anyone have a multiport charging brick that they prefer? We are a family of 4 and could use the ability to plug in to a single plug and charge our 4 devices all at once. Most seem fairly heavy but I haven't compared against the small iphone cubes yet for total weight.

I am normally very lean (9-10% BF....very low for old fart) but Covid and some back issues conspired against me over the past year and I am more than 20 pounds over very fit weight. A lighter pack probably benefits heavier hikers like me more because they are already burdened (with lard). I thought I was crazy buying a 2.6 oz tee shirt from patagonia, it was $45 and 3 oz lighter. than my current one. I wanted to try synthetics again having used wool forever. It is almost as if once you get to a certain lightness, there are diminishing benefits. The NB10000 vs the Ankler is probably a good example. Basically 30 dollars an ounce-this is the limit I set myself for lightening up a racing bicycle, but I do not know what is worth spending on backpacking gear in terms of upgrades. Would I spend $480 to save a pound (16 x $30)? I could trim 10 oz using a lighter bag and accept some cold nights. I could probably dump the puffy and save 8 oz. That is more than a pound right there and no money spent....I could just rely on the extra fat to keep me warmish.

I mean I guess you could stuff stuff in your pockets and not count that as pack weight too. . A lb is a lb whether it's on your belly or in your pack.

It's cheaper to lose weight than buy gear. Not that they are mutually exclusive but I defer back to the pan pizza and diet coke analogy.

Watching hikers is an interesting thing.. another big one is a bunch of UL gear and an extra day of food. Or hiking straight up a mountain with 2 liters of water when very clearly you're going to have at least 1 reliable water source within 5 miles.

HYOH for sure.

Images

I mean I guess you could stuff stuff in your pockets and not count that as pack weight too. . A lb is a lb whether it's on your belly or in your pack.

It's cheaper to lose weight than buy gear. Not that they are mutually exclusive but I defer back to the pan pizza and diet coke analogy.
    So, you *honestly* don't think weight distribution matters to hiking comfort? I doubt it, but you'll insist you don't, all the time insisting you subscribe to HYOH, while trying to pound (!) your point home endlessly. The mind boggles. Good pizza/diet coke analogy though.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    So, you *honestly* don't think weight distribution matters to hiking comfort? I doubt it, but you'll insist you don't, all the time insisting you subscribe to HYOH, while trying to pound (!) your point home endlessly. The mind boggles. Good pizza/diet coke analogy though.
    Did I say weight distribution doesn't matter? No I did not. I also did not say not to buy UL gear until you lose weight first.

What I am saying is that if you're overweight losing the weight will make for easier hiking than spending a ton of money to save 3-4 lbs in your pack and it's a lot cheaper. This is my experience.

Losing 10-20 lbs > than a 1 lb tent and a 1 lb pack.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++