WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Power Banks

When in doubt
    Ask the Internet:
    Confirming what I saw with my 13 Pro and old USB power banks:
    The Apple iPhone 12 & 13 can be charged with the same charger and Lightning cable that came with my iPhone 5s.
    No harm done to the newer phones. Just slower charging.
    Hey. I will be packing. Overnight works for the 5s. It will work for the 13 Pro.
    Since the 13 Pro uses very little battery power during the day, it should charge faster than the 5s.
    Money saved!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Alligator,
    I have a pair of cheaplo Samís 10k batteries. The thing charged my new iPhone 13 Pro about 15% in 20-30 minutes.
    I donít know if that harms the phone. If not, then the USB-C crave might be mostly marketing hype. What else is new?
    The next time I go to Target I will test drive one of their USB-C batteries.
    Thanks for all the help WhiteBlaze!
    Wayne
    The following quote is completely about Samsung S20's (that's what I have) hence Android but may have parallels to iPhone. USB-C can also be used to push video.
    What is Super Fast Charging?
    The Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra offer Super Fast Charging so you can get back to gaming or livestreaming faster. Supported by the USB Power Delivery 3.0 PPS (programmable power standard), Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra's Super Fast Charging capabilities pull 25 watts of power when plugged in, to repower your phone in a flash. For even faster charging, you can connect your device to the 45W Travel Adapter and harness the power of Super Fast Charging 2.0.*45W Travel Adapter sold separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    When in doubt
    Ask the Internet:
    Confirming what I saw with my 13 Pro and old USB power banks:
    The Apple iPhone 12 & 13 can be charged with the same charger and Lightning cable that came with my iPhone 5s.
    No harm done to the newer phones. Just slower charging.
    Hey. I will be packing. Overnight works for the 5s. It will work for the 13 Pro.
    Since the 13 Pro uses very little battery power during the day, it should charge faster than the 5s.
    Money saved!
    Wayne
    Maybe on that part I put in blue. I mention this in case you are working off the battery percentages of each phone. If the 13 Pro has a larger battery, it might say it is used only 20% but on a 5s that might be equal to 40% of the 5s battery. Example, if the 13 has a 3000 mAh battery than 20% use is 600 mAh. But if the 5s only has a 1500 mAh battery, the 5s would show a 40% usage for 600 mAh. The powerbank has to recharge 600 mAh. (Alternatively, 20% usage on the 13 is not the same as 20% usage on the 5s.) Now the newer phones also have newer power standards, so maybe it could still charge faster for the some deficit of mAh's. I don't keep up with it regularly.

I'll mention that you can only get as much power as the weakest link between the phone, cord, and charger/powerbank, which is the least among the max the phone can receive, the max the cord can carry, and the max output of the charger itself. I don't much care as long as I can get to the end of the day as at that point I will plug it in overnight (like you).

Having two ports on the powerbank can be useful if you something else that needs to charge. Same for your wall brick charger and with that you want to be sure that the max output can be delivered to both cables. Cheap chargers will split the wattage if 2 devices are plugged in to where it is not the maximum that could be delivered through each cable.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Previous post from a few minutes ago went to Neverland.
    Overnight test:
    11pm. 13 Pro showing 40% charge. Plugged into a generic USB charger with a 6í USB cable. Both charger and cable are several years old and predate the iPhone 13 Pro.
    This morning, after charging overnight, the 13 Pro showed a full charge.
    Next test: Charge the 13 Pro with both of the 10 Mah batteries that I use for backpacking.
    Wayne

PS:
    I found the 13 Pro battery capacity: 3095 mAh.
    The DXO battery testing is interesting.
    Wayne

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++