WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Some tracking apps have disappeared. What do you like to use on your phone?

I just did a full blown reset to fix my Samsung as apposed to replacing it, as I anticipate in a few months of jumping over to Verizon...I can understand why Google My Tracks is unsupported and has disappeared; but just discovered Backpacker Pro - which had issues has gone too.

I see Guthook's got a PCT and other apps out there and they are well rated. i am looking at Geotracker as a well rounded replacement...

What do you like and why?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I plunked down twenty bucks for Gaia GPS for iPhone, but I believe they make it for Android, too. I've been happy. I can put my phone in airplane mode and the app doesn't drain the battery. You will want to download the map of the area you'll be hiking in before taking off, but that isn't difficult to do. I've been happy with it so far.

Here's the track from my hike today. The online tools are pretty powerful, but not the most user friendly in the world. Think early Microsoft vs. Apple

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/15RJf...zUckxQBgOv1LU/

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I just did a full blown reset to fix my Samsung as apposed to replacing it, as I anticipate in a few months of jumping over to Verizon...I can understand why Google My Tracks is unsupported and has disappeared; but just discovered Backpacker Pro - which had issues has gone too.

I see Guthook's got a PCT and other apps out there and they are well rated. i am looking at Geotracker as a well rounded replacement...

What do you like and why?

Journal Entries
    Images

OK you win... Downloading it now.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I can only speak for the AT version of Guthook, which was excellent for the AT despite missing some landmarks and spots of interest, but I've heard good things about his CDT/PCT apps as well. My favorite overall app is GAIA. It's extremely powerful and loaded with features, and I'm anticipating the next Apple Watch release so I can have all that power on my wrist. It works with the current Apple Watch; I'm waiting for the new watch because they have fixed some issues.

Check out this thread for more info on Guthook.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-digital-guide

Images

What I used to replace my Tracks for measuring how far I walked is the free version of Endomondo (fitness app). It will track how far you hike plus a lot more forms of exercise. Somebody here on WB liked maprika a lot; this apparently lets you hook up your gps tracks to regular trail maps, including paper maps. Maprika has seemed like a great app for local hikes, but I haven't tried it yet.
    For a long distance hike, one of the apps dedicated to that specific trail would probably be best, Guthook's app etc.

I like guthook

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Gaia GPS for iPhone, but I believe they make it for Android, too. I've been happy. I can put my phone in airplane mode and the app doesn't drain the battery. You will want to download the map of the area you'll be hiking in before taking off, but that isn't difficult to do. I've been happy with it so far.
    +1

Overall I use Gaia for most of my hikes. Always nice to have a topo map and the GPS to show you where you are on the map. Even better to download a trail track, which then shows you the trail you are following as well.

In addition to Gaia I used Guthook's JMT app for my 2014 thru and liked it a lot. I will be using his Tahoe Rim Trail app this year. Have not used his AT app, but I bet it's worth getting if you are doing the AT. I like to have more than one app when I can as they often compliment each other.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I used Guthook on the Florida trail. I've had both Gaia and BCN (Backcountry Navigator) for quite some time; both of those are in my mind quite distinct from a trail-specific app like Guthook.

I personally use BCN more than Gaia, but both are good. And both are a little tweaky, have a learning curve to get to where things are intuitive and you can use a reasonable subset of their functionality.

I use BCN a lot now, not just for hiking. I'm taking a biking trip soon, and using opencycle maps to do this --- on BCN. Lots of map choices, and BCN at least offers an accuterra map (paid) subscription that I find worth paying for.

Not to take anything away from Guthook, I liked using that on the Florida Trail. I hiked other trails before Guthook was out there, and trails I'm still working on (PNT currently) aren't covered by Guthook, yet at least. BCN (and no doubt Gaia too) does the job, where an actual standalone GPS isn't preferable.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I used Guthook on the Florida trail. I've had both Gaia and BCN (Backcountry Navigator) for quite some time; both of those are in my mind quite distinct from a trail-specific app like Guthook.

I personally use BCN more than Gaia, but both are good. And both are a little tweaky, have a learning curve to get to where things are intuitive and you can use a reasonable subset of their functionality.

I use BCN a lot now, not just for hiking. I'm taking a biking trip soon, and using opencycle maps to do this --- on BCN. Lots of map choices, and BCN at least offers an accuterra map (paid) subscription that I find worth paying for.

Not to take anything away from Guthook, I liked using that on the Florida Trail. I hiked other trails before Guthook was out there, and trails I'm still working on (PNT currently) aren't covered by Guthook, yet at least. BCN (and no doubt Gaia too) does the job, where an actual standalone GPS isn't preferable.
    Another vote for BCN - it's a tough learning curve, but does just about everything I want it to do. A whole bunch of tracks from it have wound up in other places, including ADK's "official" mileage table for the Northville-Placid Trail.

I have yet to get a standalone GPS since I carry my device all the time anyway. Mobile device GPS receivers aren't nearly as wonky as they once were. I carry a 14 Ah brick to recharge on longer outings.

Lars and I have been talking in the last few days about resurrecting TopOSM (http://toposm.ahlzen.com). OpenCycleMap is good for cycling - if you're not colour-blind; I can't read it half the time. It's less good for hiking. It'll never be as effective as an application with an integrated service directory (that's where Guthook excels) but it should be better than the current open solutions - even CalTopo's MapBuilder is lacking in a number of respects. The basemap in https://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test3.html is kind of a sketch of what such a beast might wind up looking like, but I'd want Lars's artistic eye cleaning it up.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I used Guthook on the AT and was pleased with the app’s performance. Took a wrong turn in New York and app got me right back on the trail. Had a technical issue last spring, and Guthook impressed me with their promptness and professionalism. It is great to have on the AT.
    On trails near home, I use Backcountry Navigator (BCN). Was overwhelmed at first with all of their “choices”, but once I figured it out, the app did a nice job. Last November, I lost the trail because of all of the fallen leaves. BCN showed me being almost on the trail. That information saved me from a needless chase. They also support their product with a monthly newsletter that is surprisingly good.

You guys got me to download Gaia as the Backpacker GPS Trails was my go-to for ramming around wherever, while wanting the old quads. Strava seems to have been created by people who just don't think how I do. Avenza PDF Maps is good for offline use of many curated maps in geospatial PDF format (including new style quads), if downloaded in advance.

Images

Do any of these apps allow you to send a position report via text or email? There used to be an app that you could send a coordinate link which opened a map, but I cannot remember what it was and now I'm having a hard time finding any that meet that requirement. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just want to send a position report text home once a day...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Guthook's trail apps do that. You can share your location via text message which includes location, link to Google Maps and your own text message.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Guthook's trail apps do that. You can share your location via text message which includes location, link to Google Maps and your own text message.
    Wayne

Thanks, given the other useful features in Guthook's app, it looks like a great choice
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

I have been using Locus Maps for about 5 years now and love it. It is one of if not the most capable GPS aps for Android. Check it out, and if you like it buy it, its not pricey at all

Not a tracking app but PeakFinder is pretty cool for identifying peaks and altitudes.

Another vote for GaiaGPS.

Been using it for years. Can't find fault with it. Battery life in my iphone is horrible these days, but that is a Apple shortcoming, not GaiaGPS.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Another vote for GaiaGPS.

Been using it for years. Can't find fault with it. Battery life in my iphone is horrible these days, but that is a Apple shortcoming, not GaiaGPS.
    Vote for GaiaGPS as well.

(As for phone batteries, I use my phones so much for so many things that after 1 year I notice battery capacity really dropping. I replace phone every 2 years for that reason. A new battery makes a huge difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Vote for GaiaGPS as well.

(As for phone batteries, I use my phones so much for so many things that after 1 year I notice battery capacity really dropping. I replace phone every 2 years for that reason. A new battery makes a huge difference!
    I often toy with the idea of replacing the iphone, but it is flawless in every respect except battery life.. and to be fair, it is fine for everything except logging my tracks where constant sat pings eat the batter life. I now carry a battery bank on all treks.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

Isn't the tracking a new feature? I've used the app many times on the trail, but have not used it for tracking. How well does it perform in a real use case?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++