WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Serial Hiker
    Images

Question Shenandoah NP - Shuttle or Hitch?

I'm planning on hiking SNP at the end of April. I will be parking at the north end and need to get to the south end to start.
    How likely am I to get a hitch or hitches all the way to the south end?
    Any recommendations on shuttles?
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

hitch. i'm goin' to georgia in a coupla weeks. gonna park near neel gap then hitch to springer. ain't worried about gettin' a ride. it'll happen

I'd probably hire a shuttler, so that you will be in a car with one person, instead of six or eight different ones. It's also about an hour quicker by having someone drive you outside the park.

On hitching, because people stop and putter along the Skyline Drive, hitching the full distance on the drive itself would be slow. Might be more practical to hitch one section at a time, reuniting with the car when you get to US 211 and US 33.

Hitching is legal on the drive only if associated with hiking.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/learn/manag...P_JUMP_5597186

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It depends on which you value more - time or money. I would hire a shuttler and be done with it. Hitching during COVID in that part of the country might be more difficult than say.. GA or TN.

Journal Entries

Normally I would hitch and consider it an adventure, but during COVID I don't feel that is being responsible and being seen as responsible.

Hitching from trail to town, or the reverse, is pretty easy but trying to do that to get from one end of SNP to the other will be hard. Traffic on skyline drive is slow and people driving the road will be stopping. It's not likely to get one ride for the entire distance.

I am hiking SNP in April as well as I plan to take Amtrak to Charlottesville and Uber to Rockfish Gap. I am still working out the logistics of getting back to Washington DC from Front Royal. I might go another two days north to get to Harpers Ferry and take the train back. But there's also a bus that now serves Front Royal-DC although as a commuter bus the timing sucks.

https://www.dcmotorcoach.com

Another option would be the Virginia Breeze bus. It stops at the park and ride lot in Front Royal and you could take it to Staunton. From Staunton you can catch a bus to Waynesboro or get a shuttle. Try Stanimal’s for a shuttle. I know they do a lot in SNP but I am not sure he goes all the way to Front Royal.

Bus https://virginiabreeze.org/routes/
    Stanilmal’s https://www.stanimals328.com/

Coffee - the bus also continues on from Front Royal to DC.

Try Alison from the Open Arms at the Edge of Town Hostel I. Luray (540-244-5652). Another option is Scott and Lisa from Mountain Home B&B (540-692-6198) right on the AT at road crossing 522. I'm not sure if they do shuttles but they may be able to help you.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I am hiking SNP in April as well as I plan to take Amtrak to Charlottesville and Uber to Rockfish Gap.
    I like this idea.
    Then perhaps the Virginia Breeze bus to Union Station for the return Amtrak trip.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Try Alison from the Open Arms at the Edge of Town Hostel I. Luray (540-244-5652). Another option is Scott and Lisa from Mountain Home B&B (540-692-6198) right on the AT at road crossing 522. I'm not sure if they do shuttles but they may be able to help you.
    I shuttled from Front Royal to Waynesboro with Scott from Mountain Home, but that was pre-COVID. Not sure if he is doing shuttles now, but it's worth a call.
    It's all good in the woods.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I shuttled from Front Royal to Waynesboro with Scott from Mountain Home, but that was pre-COVID. Not sure if he is doing shuttles now, but it's worth a call.
    About how much did that cost?
    perrito

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    About how much did that cost?
    well it's 190 miles/3hrs. round trip. all highway, i'd do it for $130

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    well it's 190 miles/3hrs. round trip. all highway, i'd do it for $130
    Hahaha I just looked up the quote I got from them by email... $130.
    It's all good in the woods.

I have both hitch hiked as well as shuttled in SNP. IF it were not for the pandemic I would say hitch. With the covid stuff going on I would say to get a shuttle unless you are not under any time restraints and can forgo the extended wait time to find a hitch under the current circumstances.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++