WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultimate USB Charging cable... Do It All!

I am not sure how people backpacked without a cellphone! I am only kidding...

I love my iPhone, It takes amazing photos and is fairly reliable for navigation using off line map apps..

My question is, I have a Rav Power 10000Mah 2port pack. It has a USB A and C port. I PURPOSELY bought it so that I could charge via highspeed USB C when I am able to do so.. My thought is HighSpeed would maximize the amount of charge I could get in the shortest amount of time. That applies to mainly recharging the pack but also for fast charging my iPhone.

I am looking to slim down the amount of cables I am bringing along... For one, less to keep track of in camp. Two, I try to only bring things that can do more than one task.

Things I charge

• Nitecore NU25 Headlamp (USB A -> Micro USB)
    • Apple Watch (USB A -> proprietary mag charger)
    • iPhone (UCB C -> Lightning)
    • Garmin inReach (USB A -> Micro USB)
    • RavPower Pack (USB C -> USB C)

That is 4 cables total.

I was thinking it would be nice to have 1 cable although I don't want to be in a situation where I have to choose charge one device over another. For example, If i was near a power source I could charge may pack (C -> C) and a second device via the USB A port on the pack.

maybe a cable like this and they also make either a micro to lightning or C to lightning adapter.
    https://nomadgoods.com/products/univ...lar-cable-0-3m

and a dedicated C to C pretty much to only charge the pack

I probably sound borderline crazy...lol I am sure someone else has thought about this?

Thanks gang

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

You can get C-micro and C-apple adapters. I would go with a C-C cable and use those adapters. Watch has to be a dedicated cable.

Carry the same electronics (minus the Apple Watch) as the OP.

Anker PowerCore Slim 10000 PD, 20W 10,000mAh (7.4 ounce) has fast charge for the iPhone & trickle charge for the once per day InReach & NU25 headlamp.

Cables used:
    Cable Adaptor - USB C to Micro-B 2.0, 0.1 ounce
    Cable: USB C to Lightning, [0.6ft MFi-Certified], Braided Nylon Fast Charging, 0.3 ounce
    Cable: USB C to USB-C Black 2 ft for PowerCore Slim, 0.7 ounce

Anker 20W Charger (1.1 ounce) charges the powerbank.

Have mixed feelings about all of this. What would happen if I was without a phone for a few days? Probably nothing. It's also frustrating that most of my gear has weighed less and less over the years, yet total pack weight continues to bloat because of electronics.

Do the adapters support fast charging?
    More walking, less talking.

If you get a USB-C to Lightning adapter, or vice versa, you are going to sacrifice rapid charging of one or the other (battery or phone).

The blame for this rests entirely with Apple, who refuses to publish the specs for their proprietary Lightning connector.

If you want rapid charging for your battery and your phone (and who wouldn't?), you'll need separate cables.

Fortunately, minimalist cables exist. Anker USB-C to Lightning 1 ft and Anker USB-C to C 1 ft are what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    If you get a USB-C to Lightning adapter, or vice versa, you are going to sacrifice rapid charging of one or the other (battery or phone).
    Thanks. That is what I figured.
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries

I would not substitute any of Apple's proprietary crap... um cables. Even if they work, the devices have been known to later reject them.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I would not substitute any of Apple's proprietary crap... um cables. Even if they work, the devices have been known to later reject them.
    This has happened to me 2 times. I now carry a small wireless charger and set my phone on it while I'm sleeping. And a cable...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Cables are most definitely the weak link on the electronics spectrum.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. use a C - C cord to ensure high speed charging of the pack, since that is probably the most important.

Nomad makes a .3m (I think that is 12") C-C with adapters on Both ends to make it it USB C/A - C/Micro. Then I would need a Micro - Lightning and the watch charger. I guess it cuts down on one cable and shortens the ones that I do bring so that arnt a tangled mess.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post

The blame for this rests entirely with Apple, who refuses to publish the specs for their proprietary Lightning connector.

If you want rapid charging for your battery and your phone (and who wouldn't?), you'll need separate cables.

Fortunately, minimalist cables exist. Anker USB-C to Lightning 1 ft and Anker USB-C to C 1 ft are what I use.
    Me. I do not see the point of rapid charging while backpacking. Only time I can foresee a charge is when staying in a bed and there is plenty of time to charge overnight. You probably want to charge both devices at the sametime anyway, so, two cables are needed anyway

yea, very true. fast charging the phone isn't as important as fast charging the pack.. I might still get a shortie C - Lightning. Just so it will free up the other USB port on my pack. The in reach, and headlamp probably only take 30-40min to charge, even less to "top off". I foresee the need to charge the phone more often than other devices and it will need to occupy the port the longest, if that makes sense.

I guess I won't really be able to eliminate cords, seems the best I can do is get shortie style cords... :/ Or ditch electronics... the first to go will be the Apple Watch... I only enjoy it for the stats it provides... I could careless about knowing what time it is... I can check the phone for that...

I think this is how I am going to go...

Anybody know who makes good lightweight charging cables? I am weighting my stuff and surprised how much some of it weights like airpods vs wired headphones (56g vs 13 g). Some of my cables are beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    Anybody know who makes good lightweight charging cables? I am weighting my stuff and surprised how much some of it weights like airpods vs wired headphones (56g vs 13 g). Some of my cables are beasts.
    Even though ESR brand is among the priciest & heaviest, I purchased it because many reviewers complained alternative brands worked at first only to fizzle out later. When my order arrived, was surprised at how substantial it looked.

ESR (Large).jpg

Quick update I ordered a few cables from a popular online retailer.

I now have a shortie C to Lightning, stubby watch charger, and universal C/usb to micro.

Saved me a bunch of tangled cords and about 1.2oz!

Khike

This might help. Got one at home. Seems to work fine. Not for data transmission , it says, but works with my iphone 11. Got 2 of them for a gift and one was gifted back to me. Kevin

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086PXQZTF...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Khike

++ New Posts ++