WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Nobo hiking times for Shenandoah

Greetings,

About when do you think most of the NOBOs are reaching Shenandoah? I will be visiting there in May and was considering setting up some trail magic at a spot. I thought May might be too early, but I'm curious what you think.

Assuming the waysides, campgrounds, lodges and restaurants are open, food is definitely not an issue in SNP.

NOBOs definitely reaching the Shenandoahs in May. The front end of what might be called a 'bubble' are entering the Smokies now (hikers that got on trail mid-late Feb). For those averaging 13 or more miles/day (including zeros, etc) early May is very likely. 1-2 weeks behind them there is going to be a steady stream of about 40+ hikers PER DAY starting in Georgia, until almost the middle of April. All different speeds, so they'll spread out as they head north, but I would say that pretty much anytime in May there would be a pretty good stream of hikers going through.

May is still pretty early, but it depends on when in May. Big difference between May 1 and May 30. You will probably need a permit to do that in the park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you for thinking about helping NOBO hikers. I'm sure everyone will appreciate the trail magic!

++ New Posts ++