WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Logistics of flying in/out of Newark and getting on the AT

Hi all, a little help, please. I'm planning a 2022 NOBO thru and I am trying to sort out the logistics of leaving trail and flying out of/back in to Newark due to a family obligation. It looks like the place on the trail to exit might be Delaware Water Gap, right on I-80. Does the sound right? And, does anyone know of a transportation person or company that I can contact to arrange a pick up/drop off? Any information will be helpful, thanks.

Another option that I'm considering is jumping off the trail at Harpers Ferrry and catching a flight out of Dullas. The logistics of this seem straightforward, but it doesn't jive well with my hiking timing.

Thanks very much, RMH

The same shuttlers who move section hikers to cover individual AT sections will be able to take you to the airport at the right time. Below is a list from this site, a sample from the Whiteblaze guidebook. You probably want to start your hike before buying a ticket, so you have a better idea of how far along you will be when you need to leave. Agree that Delaware Water Gap probably is the most practical location to get to Newark Airport, but you may need to leave from another point depending on weather and other factors. Shuttlers are flexible enough for this.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/art...1-shuttles.pdf

Images

There is a NYC metro-north train to Newark (first connecting in NYC) from Port Jervis NY, which is 3-4 miles off the trail in the middle of New Jersey at High Point SP. I flew home that way, then back out to the trail shortly after. Easy peasy, and cheap. You can hitch the 3-4 miles or call for a cab from the High Point SP visitor center. This is not too many trail miles north of DWG, what, maybe 50 or so. Then of course there is another train right on the trail from near Pawling NY, maybe another 100 trail miles further north.

From Delaware Water Gap,we took a bus to New York City,nice ride to the Port Authority. From there a few blocks to train to Newark airport station. Was a couple years back,so don't remember the prices or details,but it was seamless and easy. I think the AWOL guide had the DWG bus details.

Journal Entries

You have multiple options all the way from NJ/Penn boarder till almost the NY CT boarder. DWG is one such one. Multiple locations in NJ have a bus, Warwick NY has a bus, Bear Mtn has a bus, Trains sort of close in Harriman, Peakskill and Wingdale/Pauling. Uber is also available.

You have lots of options.

One means of flexibility and therefore ability to book a cheaper airline ticket in advance would be to look at buses to Newark. TransBridge goes from lehigh valley right into NYC with a direct stop at Newark Airport. The William Penn Hwy stop is literally only 15 miles down Rt 33 off Wind Gap. Now, I could be wrong but I think all the public transportation options out of Water Gap require going to Strougsburg into NYC port authority and then the train back over the river to New Jersey.

Personally, I would probably fly from Allentown directly to Denver on Frontier for like 150 bucks roundtrip.

https://transbridgelines.com/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    There is a NYC metro-north train to Newark (first connecting in NYC) from Port Jervis NY, which is 3-4 miles off the trail in the middle of New Jersey at High Point SP. I flew home that way, then back out to the trail shortly after. Easy peasy, and cheap. You can hitch the 3-4 miles or call for a cab from the High Point SP visitor center. This is not too many trail miles north of DWG, what, maybe 50 or so. Then of course there is another train right on the trail from near Pawling NY, maybe another 100 trail miles further north.
    I don't think so . It's more like 7-8 miles since I kind of do it as a yearly hike on Labor Day. I get to the HP visitors center around 1 am and hike in to the shelter.

Thank you for the suggestions! I see that there are many options. I was a little stressed about planning hopping off/on the trail but it seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks again

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    I don't think so . It's more like 7-8 miles since I kind of do it as a yearly hike on Labor Day. I get to the HP visitors center around 1 am and hike in to the shelter.
    Well, I was a bit short but per google it's 5.5 miles (vs. 3-4) from the SP office to the Dollar General in Port Jervis, I wasn't talking miles on some hiking trail, but on the road (23), which I would never walk on anyway, I was talking about hitching or calling a taxi.

In any event, tons of options in those parts to visit home, wherever that is. I see SW airlines no longer flies in/out of Newark from Denver though? Too bad, I clearly remember $108 direct flights to/from Denver on SW air.

There's a blue blaze trail from the AT about 3-4 miles to the town of Harriman, NY right before RT 17 and there you have a commuter bus line to NYC and a Metro North train station (Port Jervis line) but check schedules. Many changes because of COVID. I think the simplest way is the bus from DWG to the Port Authority bus Terminal on 42nd street. It is fast and reliable. Check with Mosey from Mosey's Place hostel in Port Jervis (845-239-3028), she may be able to help you.

++ New Posts ++