WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Electronic payment options

question for the forum

what 'online' or other electronic payment method do you recommend, OTHER than Paypal ?

I've used Paypal for years, but in today's world, it's banning it's use in some areas......my Paypal account has been suspended for selling a rifle-scope online, and using Paypal for payment from the buyer.

News to me ... Paypal prohibits its use for selling any firearm accessories.

so I'm looking at other payment forums, as I'm preparing to sell hiking gear, clothing and shoes/boots online.

what do you folks recommend, other than Paypal?

tia

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Venmo. Square Cash app. Mostly Venmo.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Ah.. you mean from a website? Sorry if I misunderstood.

I have used zelle without issues a few times, does have dollar limits though. Heard of venmo but havent looked into it, need to I guess as I see it coming up alot.
    I almost never use Paypal... too much fraud these days. Zero sellers protection with paypal.

Paypal is so hypocritical. I bought three sights off a large retailer using Paypal last year. Yet, if you want to buy a sight person to person like off gunbroker, they do not allow it. What many buyers/sellers do on such websites is to conduct the sale offline as friends and family. Just exchange emails, they send the money, and they hope you ship. I would not do that myself unless I had a lot of faith in the seller. I have had two sellers try to screw me by not delivering product (not gun stuff) and Paypal did refund my money as the buyer.

Venmo is not really set up to handle commercial transactions, they are not going to act as an intermediary as Paypal would in case of nondelivery. So, exchanging email addresses and paying as friends and family using Paypal is probably just as good.

Curiously, Venmo is owned by PayPal.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    question for the forum

what 'online' or other electronic payment method do you recommend, OTHER than Paypal ?

I've used Paypal for years, but in today's world, it's banning it's use in some areas......my Paypal account has been suspended for selling a rifle-scope online, and using Paypal for payment from the buyer.

so I'm looking at other payment forums, as I'm preparing to sell hiking gear, clothing and shoes/boots online.

what do you folks recommend, other than Paypal?

tia
    set up a new email address and a new paypal account. paypal is so easy. my bank, a small regional bank, does not accept venmo or payments like that so I stick with paypal and cash.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    I have used zelle without issues a few times, does have dollar limits though. Heard of venmo but havent looked into it, need to I guess as I see it coming up alot.
    I almost never use Paypal... too much fraud these days. Zero sellers protection with paypal.
    depends on how the payment is sent. if it's sent as a "friends" transaction, the money stays with the seller/recipient. There's no buyer protection this way but there is no buyer protection with venmo and zelle either.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

My integrity is worth more than a few dollars. Nor would I do business with someone who's isnt.
    Soon is I see that friends and family thing,,,,, um sorry I am not a liar.

Way I see it if I am selling a product, and someone wants it they cant meet my terms or move along. Generally my terms are cash MO, or Zelle. Lately last few items I sold they mailed a money order.

My integrity is worth more than a few dollars. Nor would I do business with someone who's isnt.
    Soon is I see that friends and family thing,,,,, um sorry I am not a liar.

Way I see it if I am selling a product, and someone wants it they cant meet my terms or move along. Generally my terms are cash MO, or Zelle. Lately last few items I sold they mailed a money order.
    my understanding is Zelle and PP friends and family have the same protections for the buyer - zero

I am pretty sure if eBay or Paypal bans you, you cannot get another account even if you open a new bank account and new email accounts. If I were the OP, I would try to appeal the suspension.

Bitcoin is another electronic online way to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    my understanding is Zelle and PP friends and family have the same protections for the buyer - zero
    well the difference with Zelle is I wouldnt be putting right in my add that I am dishonest.

Also regular paypal offers zero seller protection. Buyer says its never received, or they return an empty box,,, and seller is out. Ebay is rampant with that stuff.

Like I said,, seller has the product and creates the terms. Does need to be some trust on both sides of the transaction though. That can be formed by forum feedback, history of transactions, length of time on whatever page. How active are they on the page, etc.

Of course a buyer wants buyer protection, but a seller wants protection from fraud as well.. Currently out side face to face,,, dont really thing there is much of anything.

well the difference with Zelle is I wouldnt be putting right in my add that I am dishonest.

Also regular paypal offers zero seller protection. Buyer says its never received, or they return an empty box,,, and seller is out. Ebay is rampant with that stuff.

Like I said,, seller has the product and creates the terms. Does need to be some trust on both sides of the transaction though. That can be formed by forum feedback, history of transactions, length of time on whatever page. How active are they on the page, etc.

Of course a buyer wants buyer protection, but a seller wants protection from fraud as well.. Currently out side face to face,,, dont really thing there is much of anything.
    how does saying you accept PP F&F say "I'm dishonest?" That seems like a huge leap. I am not a business and do not want to pay the fee PP charges or deal with them taking back my money if a buyer "claims" they never received the product I am selling. Therefore I do not accept PP business style payments. A buyer can always pay for me to have USPS insure a shipment as that is the weakest link in selling and shipping a product.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    my Paypal account has been suspended for selling a rifle-scope online, and using Paypal for payment from the buyer.

I know it's too late for you, but maybe somebody else reading this can benefit. The only way PP knows if something is firearm related is if somebody commented on it. For example, one of you probably put "for xxxx riflescope" somewhere in the transaction comments. I've conducted several firearms related transactions via PP and you can still go G&S but just leave comments blank. Make sure that point is hammered home to the buyer.
    It is what it is.

Please discontinue commenting on how to circumvent transaction rules for these services.

Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Jesus and we question why this forum has no relevant discussion.

++ New Posts ++