WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Diy pumpsack valve source

I'm looking for a connector like Exped uses on the schnozzel pump sack that I could permanently attach to a trash compactor liner. It doesn't have to be that connector specifically, just something similar as long as it can be adapted to the thermarest pad. Even a classic thermarest valve would work if someone has a great idea on how to attach it. Trying to make my trash compactor liner double as a large pump sack at the end of the day (and still be waterproof).

Something like this would be perfect...
    20210307_213014.jpg

In order to accomplish this...
    20210307_203922.jpg

That could definitely work!

This is the best I'd found so far:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRH3V59/
    waterproof locknut fitting.png

Not perfect, but inexpensive and has potential.

You could probably even cut the top off a coke bottle and use the flat face to attach it with RTV to the bag, then the cap for a waterproof cover. Then you're just trying to adapt the threads down to the thermarest connector. I don't think the 700x23-25 tube I was using yesterday could reliably stretch to that. Can't be that hard of a problem to solve though.
    3d printing could help:
    https://www.stlfinder.com/model/2-li...c5v36/3223830/

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Beautiful - that may be the last piece to the puzzle! I'd attach it to the bag differently so that the threads are directly exposed. That way you can use an unmodified bottle cap to keep the bag water tight. But otherwise, his method is spot on. Thanks for the link!
    Last edited by CalebJ; 03-08-2021 at 12:42.

Check out the recharge pump bag from Paria.The valves on their pads look the same as the thermarest.The fitting on the recharge bag connects perfectly.It works great.

Images

do the IntenseAngler one.

+1 on the intense angler style DIY bag. I use a regular light weight kitchen trash can liner. No need for a heavy trash compactor bag (did I just say heavy and TC bag n the same sentence?) I've used that for a few years now. Replace the gasket each season. It does stretch out over time and the inflator will start to pop while inflating once it is worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Femadog View Post
    +1 on the intense angler style DIY bag. I use a regular light weight kitchen trash can liner. No need for a heavy trash compactor bag (did I just say heavy and TC bag n the same sentence?) I've used that for a few years now. Replace the gasket each season. It does stretch out over time and the inflator will start to pop while inflating once it is worn.
    The reason for the trash compactor liner is that it's the material I already use for a durable pack liner. I'm just trying to add the valve onto the bottom of it so it does double duty. If this was only going to be for inflating the pad, I'd probably go for a thinner/lighter material.

Thanks for the encouragement that the solution works well.

A lot of great ideas addressing the built in assumption by the OP.
    BUT, why complicate things by adding anything to a perfectly functional trash compactor bag.
    The solution is right at the tips of all of our fingers, sorta speak.
    I've been using this technique for years with Thermarest, Big Agnes, REI Coop, Nemo, and surely some other inflatable pads with all kinds of different valves and valve systems.

Yes, some valves take a bit of practice to master doing this. But, in the end, it works consistently, reliably and without the addition of anything beyond what you already have.

This video is probably a better description than I could do with text. And, I suspect this is about the third time I've posted this video or another one similar to it on this site. I'm surprised that everyone isn't using this technique, frankly.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Thank you, but that's not what I'm trying to accomplish here.

++ New Posts ++