WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Starting on st Patrick's day eh , luck of the Irish to ya indeed!

Journal Entries

St. Patrick’s Day (the holiest of holy days!) is the plan. Spending the night before at Amicalola Falls Lodge before setting off and not sure if they stock Guinness, so I need to get at least one can in Atlanta the day before so I can start the trail off right! I would go for some Irish whiskey, but we don’t always get along well.

Cheers brother hey whatever it takes to get you through.

And when you get up to HF , PM me if so inclined for shuttle, places stay,eat,etc......

Journal Entries

Will do. Thanks for the offer!

That's a winter hike. Take a tent. Don't be on the stupid side of light.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    That's a winter hike. Take a tent. Don't be on the stupid side of light.
    Looks like it's summer in Georgia and it looks like it will stay that way too. We get a blast of cold air here in New England this weekend, then it's back to mid spring temps in the Whites. it hit 64 degrees yesterday, today it hit 50, hasn't gone below freezing all week. Winters aren't what they used to be around here...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

After reviewing all of the posts, most people suggested a tent over tarp/bivy. My tarp has been returned and a Nemo Hornet 1P tent replaced it. Shaved a few ounces off the tarp/bivy, and after dumping out my gear, was able to get my weight down to 20 pounds. Instead of opening up a new thread, I’ll ask here- do I really need a brain on my pack? Would cut off another 9 ounces, and don’t think I’ll need it after the space I saved by purging my clothing. I have a contractor bag that I’ve got lining the inside of my bag, so I don’t think that rain leaking in would be an issue.

Nothing like waiting until the last minute to start asking this stuff!

On a good note, I just received my second COVID shot, so I’ll minimize my risk of that on trail!

Good choice on the tent!

You certainly don't 'need' the brain on the pack. Whether its weight is worthwhile is a very individual decision. It definitely has value in organizing some items in a quickly accessible location.

What kind of pack are you using? For that matter, maybe it's a good time to go over the whole kit (if you dare - opening yourself to a world of opinions will invariably create controversy).

Not sure what kind of pack you are carrying, but if it's not dyneema/cuban some of the fabrics can really soak up the water. so even if your stuff stays dry inside, you have a heavier pack that can take a while to dry. I like to have a pack rain cover (3.6oz) - keeps the mud off if you want to set the pack down too. If I had a dyneema pack I might feel differently. Does your pack have a roll-top?

Personally I keep the brain on my pack for daytime storage - usually my food for the day, headlamp, etc that doesn't quite fit with my organization in other outside pockets. My goal is to never open the main part of my pack until I am in camp, so I've got my system. But 9oz would be a nice weight savings, so if you don't need that storage, that's a good reason to remove it (particularly if you have a roll-top).

If you carry some kind of ground sheet (I carry a piece of tyvek that I use for a tent 'footprint'; I use the Hornet 2p by the way), you could always strap that down across the top of your pack and it would help shed some rain. I find mine is usually damp anyway, so usually that's where it's strapped on. (making me think about the overkill of a roll-top, brain, tyvek AND rain cover! ...but for now, I'm sticking with it! my baseweight is a bit less than 16)

I'll be on trail up ahead of you - starting late March at mile 352 (where I left off after my first section in the fall). Doing another 4-5week section, then I'll be back home where the trail crosses from NY into CT....hiking, doing trail magic and shuttles.....so maybe see you when you make it up this way! Have a great hike.

Journal Entries

My pack is an Osprey Aether 60. I plan on taking the pack cover just for the little protection it provides. If I decide I don’t need it, I can just trash it.

As far as listing gear, I think I’m gonna keep that one to myself! For this trip, I’ve already bought too much stuff- 2 different tents, bivy, sleeping bag, water filter, cookware, 4 different pairs of shoes, all new clothing, 2 different mattress pads (when I get to Atlanta, I may try to return my large Neo Air for the smaller version and elevate my feet with my pack), sleeping bag liner, trekking poles, umbrella...the list goes on! I’m afraid if I post a list, I’ll have all sorts of item ideas that I really don’t want to buy.

If I only had a brain...
    Mines' attached so I can't leave it home.
    I find it's handy to have around.
    I don't like roll top packs which I have to dig into to find anything. I want quick access to stuff I use during the day to be right up on top, a quick zip away.

Keep the long NeoAir. The extra comfort is well worth the minimal amount of weight.

I am kind of going thru the transition from a brained pack to a no-brain back (Nero). I did not really care for the brain. On the new pack, I bought a lightweight cuban fibre pouch that connects at the waist and dangles down the crotch. It offers great access to food, phone, sunscreen, lip balm, etc. But the crinkling noise and rubbing on the boyz is driving me crazy. I had to put the old pack down to access the brain box, so, it really did not offer much value to me other than organization. The Zpack front utility pack would be awesome otherwise. I think without a brainbox, some other small pouch would be helpful especially if access is easy while walking. Just 1 or maybe 1.5 litres

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Cant go wrong with a tarptent.com product. Look at the styles and see what you think would match up good with your style
    Ditto.
    The Notch or similar. The Stratospire 1 of you want a Bomb shelter.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

I have the osprey Aether 70 and my brain has never been off. I like having the easy access to certain things like head lamp, E-kit, filter etc.. and I would definitely use that pack cover a soaking wet bag is heavy.

I haven't used a pack with a lid pocket (don't know why but I hate the term 'brain') for more than 10 years now (last one was REI Flash 62). A Zpacks hip pocket and the big mesh panel pocket and side water bottle pockets on the pack have proved entirely adequate for me.

IMO it helps to adopt the "a place for everything, and everything in its place" mentality. This helps enormously when packing up because you know automatically where everything goes, and it also provides a mental checklist if something is missing. And you know precisely where things are if you need them... none of this "digging around in the pack looking for something."

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I haven't used a pack with a lid pocket (don't know why but I hate the term 'brain') for more than 10 years now (last one was REI Flash 62). A Zpacks hip pocket and the big mesh panel pocket and side water bottle pockets on the pack have proved entirely adequate for me.

IMO it helps to adopt the "a place for everything, and everything in its place" mentality. This helps enormously when packing up because you know automatically where everything goes, and it also provides a mental checklist if something is missing. And you know precisely where things are if you need them... none of this "digging around in the pack looking for something."
    This a big reason I prefer the lid pocket. It keeps packing order similar across multiple packs. When I had a pack without one, I felt like I was driving a different car. It's adaptable but I'd rather not lose something important packing up.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    This a big reason I prefer the lid pocket. It keeps packing order similar across multiple packs. When I had a pack without one, I felt like I was driving a different car. It's adaptable but I'd rather not lose something important packing up.
    My packs are all no-lid, so I have that same continuity across multiple packs. I think that's what counts... having a repeatable system and applying it the same each time, using the sub-system approach for shelter/sleep, cooking, clothing, etc. I can honestly say I haven't used a written checklist in more than 10 years and have forgotten only one non-critical item (a 3-ft Amsteel dogbone for hammock suspension) in all that time. The packing system IS the checklist.

Is this what white laze has turned into?

Amen brother to that. It is all about gear management!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++