WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking from Harpers Ferry South In August Gear ?

Just got a question about gear , I/ we are hiking from Harpers Ferry South starting Aug 8 2021 currently to Damascus depending my my partners level of fitness at that point , we may go to Springer that being the end goal. I am not familiar with warm / hiking in heat and gear needed so I currently have a North Face puffy jacket, Ice Breaker bottoms ( sleep ) & Marmot long sleeve ( sleep ) shirt.. Looking to dump a those if not needed? Pack is at 23lb..Will cold even be a factor that I should consider ? We are coming from Wisconsin, any advice would be great.. Thanks for your time.... https://packfire.com/user/sic..

Thanks ,

Sic

You will be plenty warm without them. Bring a light rain layer and wear that too if you get chilled. Start early each day and take advantage of water spots to fill up.

There is an outside chance of a chilly night or two, but very rare. A couple of thoughts from my experience:

1 - Layers. I don't think you'll need a puffy, but would recommend a light fleece/mid-layer and a wind jacket. Less weight and more adaptability.
    2 - Dry clothes. Once you are in camp and stop moving, and the sun is going down, you can move from overheated to chilly faster than you realize. Make sure you get into your dry clothes sooner rather than later.
    3 - Sleep clothes - depending on your bag, you could get away with shorts and a t-shirt.
    4 - Hydrate - unless we have a particularly wet July, water supply can be an issue. Drink up, then filter, at water spots. (Also, soaking your buff and putting it around the back of your neck is a great way to regulate your temperature)

Thank you very much !!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH THATS what I needed to know from Both you all !!!

I have a Marmot PreCip Eco Rain Jacket / Frogg Togg bottoms and ZPacks Full Zip 20 for a bag & Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2... BUGS I am sure I going to be bad and heard the Roller Coaster is a smoker ... Thanks again for the advice !!

August heat and humidity in the central Atlantic is pretty brutal. Start your day before dawn and end it by noon. Or at least take the afternoon off and finish up in the evening. On an August afternoon, the last few bumps on the roller coaster will not be pleasant. It probably won't cool off significantly until your well into NC.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks Slo-go'en, not much to prepare for that around here physically, just going to have to deal with it when I hit it thanks for the heads up!

When I hike in the heat I start hiking before dawn and go until 1 or so. Then I find a stream (which typically means low elevation) take a 3-4 hour break to clean up, nap, and water up then hike on up to what is hopefully a 4,500 ft mountain for a cooler night, and once you hit about that elevation level bugs and mosquitos are less of an issue. Enjoy it. Some people avoid August in the southern appalachians but I think it is just fine.

++ New Posts ++