WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tennessee/North Carolina section recommendations

I'm traveling through Tennessee/North Carolina in July/August this summer and will appreciate any recommendations for a 30-40 mile section. I'm flexible and have no preference regarding any particular regions, just looking for three day section with some campsites (preferably not shelters). I hiked a section through Roan Highlands previously.. as much as I enjoyed that section, I'm interested in something different. Thanks for your ideas.

Sam's Gap to Hot Springs fits your bill. Erwin to Hot Springs is a little bit more hiking but worth it too.

Default I second Mr. Bumpy's recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Sam's Gap to Hot Springs fits your bill. Erwin to Hot Springs is a little bit more hiking but worth it too.
    Big Firescald knob is in that section and I personally think it's the most awesome view on the southern portion of the AT.

Images

since the park is allowing anyone to tent for now a loop I like is up from fontana and back via AT and south on jenkins ridge trail to site 74. cool off in hazel creek. down hazel creek to lakeshore trail and out at fontana.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Does "section" mean you are only interested in the AT? If not, there are beaucoup options on the NC side: MST, Art Loeb, Linville Gorge, and many more.

did a SOBO from Devils Fork to Hot Spring last Oct that was a nice hike. IIRC about 32 miles

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'd recommend the Art Loeb trail in the Shining Rock Wilderness but getting a shuttle can be difficult. Aside from that I second the 65ish mile section from Erwin to Hot Springs. It can be broken into any number of mileage segments and shuttles are everywhere.

++ New Posts ++