WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New York section in mid June

I'm planning a section from Greenwood Lake NY to the CT line. Where should I fly in & out?

Also, what water conditions should I expect?

Is camping allowed other thann at the shelters in NY?

Fly to Newark or one of the NYC airports. Then from NYC you can take a bus to Greenwood Lake. Or you might fly to Stewart Intn'l outside of Newburgh, and arrange a shuttle. It's about 25 miles south to GL, I believe.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Designated sites only, otherwise you'll be in someone's backyard. The AWOL guide does not show any campsites outside shelter areas.

Water can be a pain to get to in the Harriman SP, even in wet seasons. If you go to the west mountain shelter (recommended if it's a clear day and night, you can see NYC from there), you need to carry a lot of water up from the last source. Get ready for the dreaded "Agony Grind" just before the park. A real treat on a hot summer day. It could be getting pretty warm by mid June. Still better then late July by a long shot.

Once across the Hudson, NY is actually kind of nice.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

From the CT line White Plains/Westchester County airport (HPN) is pretty convenient and can have surprisingly low-priced flights for a small airport. Definitely worth a look anyway. I'm flying in/out of there to TN/VA for my 378mile section next week (can't wait!).
    Stewart in Newburgh (SWF) also pretty convenient, but I haven't had as much luck with flight availability and price from there. YMMV

I live right near the CT border and am on the White Blaze shuttle provider list, mile 1451.8. I could get you to either of those airports from the CT line (or Bradley/Hartford; I'm not a real fan of driving to the NYC airports!) or provide any other assistance/ride you might need along ~the north half of that section. I could also get you to Greenwood - I don't mind the drive but you might be able to get a cheaper shuttle from someone closer to there. TEXT or email with contact info from list if you'd like.

From CT line, you can take a shuttle to Pawling, NY and the train (Metro North Harlem line) back to NYC. It is correct that water is an issue but you have many road crossings where you can get water e.g. the creamery on RT 17A, Lake Tiorati in Harriman state Park, the visitor center on the Palisades Pkwy, Bear Mountain Inn, Graymoor Convent, Clarence Fahnestock State Park, the Landscaping Center on RT 22 near Pawling and a few more that I probably forgot. I agree that NY is much nicer on the east side of the Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    From CT line, you can take a shuttle to Pawling, NY and the train (Metro North Harlem line) back to NYC.
    Absolutely....and a good option. No charge for a ride to the Harlem Valley/Wingdale station! - less than 4 miles from the trail at the NY-CT border.
    Pay attention on the Harlem Valley line that not all trains go to the northern stations...so you have more options for trains/times from the Southeast or Brewster stations.

Just a fun little tidbit... when you hit the CT line and think you're all done with NY, well... not quite. At Schaghticoke Mtn it dips back into NY for another couple of miles! And that's something of a nasty little climb as well, although there's a great view about 80% of the way up.

Screenshot_2021-03-19-08-12-44_2.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-20-2021 at 12:08.

Thanks to all. Nice to know about all the available options. I think I like the idea of flying into/ out from White Plains. That saves me a trip into NYC.
    BTW, nice pic, CM!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Fly to Newark or one of the NYC airports. Then from NYC you can take a bus to Greenwood Lake. Or you might fly to Stewart Intn'l outside of Newburgh, and arrange a shuttle. It's about 25 miles south to GL, I believe.
    I would go with this information.

Journal Entries

If he's hiking NOBO, he would be descending 'agony grind'. Not nearly as strenuous as ascent, but watch your footing! Very easy to twist an ankle.

++ New Posts ++