WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grant to help with deluge of visitors to San Juan Mountains

"More than $250,000 will be spent on education about best backcountry practices."

This in the Durango Herald 5-18-21

https://durangoherald.com/articles/3...juan-mountains

"San Juan County has been awarded more than $250,000 to help address the impacts of increasing outdoor recreation in its backcountry.
    Great Outdoors Colorado, which receives money from the state’s lottery, granted San Juan County $260,000 to “advance outdoor recreation, stewardship and land protection” to meet “urgent needs and priorities” in the San Juan Mountains..." etc
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Images

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it was crazy-crowded last summer all over the place in CO (and I'm sure everywhere). Lots of LNT-abuse. trash. poop. hoards of people.

I wonder if this initiative will extend to and benefit other neighboring counties? San Juan county is a little teeny-tiny thing. I'm guessing only 20 miles or so of the CT passes through it, just a guess, but it does have some spectacular areas, like that Ice Lakes Basin mentioned.

++ New Posts ++