WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: AT Bag Tag

Default AT Bag Tag

A question I’ve wanted to ask for some time now... what is the etiquette for leaving your ATC Hang Tag on your pack well after your hike? Mine is the 2017 Yellow tag. I’m guessing this is a “there are no right or wrong answers “ kind of question, so it’s all about opinions. Does this make you cool? Not cool? Show off? Subtle accomplishment? AT pride? To be hung only when on the AT? Any trail? Any or all of the above? So WWYD?

This is pretty low on the list of important AT matters, but still, I’d like to know your thoughts....
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Garlic
    Images

I put trail decals in the rear window of my car. It's led to some fun talks at trailheads, and one note under the wiper blade urging a phone call and a hike sometime. I wave when I pass a similarly-bedecked car. I've never seen the tag you mention--they must be new since '08--but why not display it? Fly the flag.

I found this statement:

”In addition to providing a way for hikers to celebrate their thru-hike attempts, the primary purpose of the A.T. hangtag is to promote sustainable hiking practices aligned with Leave No Trace principles.”

At this website:

https://appalachiantrail.org/officia...1-at-hangtags/

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I think this falls under the Hike your own hike ​mantra.
    Be Prepared

If you hiked the entire trail then you earned it. Leave it on your pack. I do. Leaving it there for a thru hike attempt that ended early seems a little irritating. That goes along with the people I met who were attempting a “thru in two“ as a way of saying they didn’t finish their thru hike.

Hiking the entire trail is a tremendous accomplishment no matter how you do it. But doing it in one calendar year comes with extra bragging rights.

And asking the ATC or allowing them to direct and define the culture seems wrong too. The perception of that hang tag and a thru hike accomplishment comes from the hiking community. There is a generational trend to water down accomplishments to allow for more winners, but that has started to change in the last few years.

Journal Entries
    Images

They started those dumb tages in 2014 didnt hardly see anyone with one n 2015 on the trail cause we all thought they were stupid.Still do.If you need some special acknowledgment cause you thru hiked wow..Special huh...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Nothing wrong with showing off when showing off is warranted. I would continue hanging it on my pack with pride.

However you'd like to display it I think is fair game.

Don't do it. They will use it against you. They will disrupt your piece of mind using it to start talking to you. They will know where you've been. They will use it as one more tool to pigeonhole your identity and intentions.

Have a great hike.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    They started those dumb tages in 2014 didnt hardly see anyone with one n 2015 on the trail cause we all thought they were stupid.Still do.If you need some special acknowledgment cause you thru hiked wow..Special huh...
    It's one thing to say you don't like them, but that was a real jerk response.

Golfhiker.....let's equate the AT thru hiker tag to golf bag tags. If someone played in the US Am or a State Open Championship, I don't care how long ago, that player deems whether that bag tag belongs. It can be a great conversation starter. But it the golf bag tag is from some resort golf course? 50 of them on a bag? Tacky. One could consider completion of the AT as sort of a pinnacle in the hiking world and the hiker who finished it deserves to be proud of the achievement. Now, I suspect a keen eye could identify a thru hiker from a day hiker quickly, almost as quickly as I can discern a 100 shooter from a 70's shooter in golf....about 5 seconds. I am not a bumper sticker, badge hanging person, but I would recognize that someone proudly hanging it off their pack deserves to be proud. Who cares what the perceived rules are. Etiquette spemticate, Hang your tag proudly.

Hot damn, Big Old Dog, I like your thinking. I’ll go dig out my State Am. bag tag. Hobbs, you’ve got problems dude.
    Thanks all. I’ll be hanging my Tag!
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I think if you've hiked the AT, you've earned the right to do whatever you like with the tag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    I think if you've hiked the AT, you've earned the right to do whatever you like with the tag.
    My impression of these cool little tags is that they are an acknowledgement of having registered with the ATC, and that you're on a long AT, whether a thru attempt or a LASH, or whatever. I still have mine from 2017 (when I rehiked a part of the AT with my wife), been on my pack since, it's a great conversation starter. There shouldn't be any conflict or requirements or anything else about these little AT tags, this post is the first time I've heard anyone mention anything about this.

Images

My impression of these cool little tags is that they are an acknowledgement of having registered with the ATC, and that you're on a long AT, whether a thru attempt or a LASH, or whatever

this is it.......

all they are trying to do is get a sense of the number of hikers attempting a thru...

and these numbers will help them figure out usage of resources....

Just remember, HYOT.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    A question I’ve wanted to ask for some time now... what is the etiquette for leaving your ATC Hang Tag on your pack well after your hike? Mine is the 2017 Yellow tag. I’m guessing this is a “there are no right or wrong answers “ kind of question, so it’s all about opinions. Does this make you cool? Not cool? Show off? Subtle accomplishment? AT pride? To be hung only when on the AT? Any trail? Any or all of the above? So WWYD?

This is pretty low on the list of important AT matters, but still, I’d like to know your thoughts....
    Yeah who cares about etiquette? Not us , we're dirt bag hikers we don't live by them laws.

I think it makes you cool , showing off why not a lil, huge accomplishment, absolutely AT pride, to be hung everywhere, if I thru hiked I would wear it loud and proud just like the American flag.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It's one thing to say you don't like them, but that was a real jerk response.
    Yep I concur .....

I'm agnostic on the issue but I would not. Just ain't my thang, wearing patches and so forth.

But other people like them and it's still a semi-free country so what the hey.

However, if not getting the tag — as happened last year with the imposition of CV19 restrictions — makes somebody angry/upset enough to alter his/her plans because it won't be 'officially' recognized, then IMVHO there's something a wee bit messed up about that.

I have 2018 Tag. It was great on the Trail because it was wonderful to identify other Thru Hikers that I had not yet met all the way to K. More a badge of shared experience for the year. Since then, I sometimes have it still clipped and other times I haven’t. I have noticed that it is a great conversation starter and people ask more questions both about gear, hiking and the AT specifically. When I don’t have the tag, people tend to not talk as much. Plus there is the whole weight/ultralight issue (saying that somewhat tongue in cheek). There is no right or wrong issue to this, more about your personal reason to or not to hang the tag in my opinion. Great question! Thanks.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

++ New Posts ++