WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Neoair twist lock thingy

On my last section my Neoair got a puncture. I fixed it with tenacious tape but ordered a new one anyway. This new one has a twist lock thing on the air valve. My first impression is that it looks like something that will fail sooner rather than later.

Has this been out for a while and does anyone have any experience with it over using it a period of time?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    On my last section my Neoair got a puncture. I fixed it with tenacious tape but ordered a new one anyway. This new one has a twist lock thing on the air valve. My first impression is that it looks like something that will fail sooner rather than later.

Has this been out for a while and does anyone have any experience with it over using it a period of time?
    Yikes, they did change that thing! I guess to accommodate the "pump sack" that's included now. On that note, I watched the little video for the neoair on REI.com, and one key statement at the end, the guy says "studies have shown that inflation direct from your breath is safe for the mattress", which is my experience, I've owned these puppies for 15 years or so, no problem just filling from direct blowing. So IMHO the pump sack is unnecessary weight.

Time will tell on the durability of the valve. Never had the old-style valve fail, I have confidence in the new one, FWIW.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had problems with my 1st NeoAir having delamination of the reflective coating and moisture seemed to make it wosrt... so I've always used a "pump sack"... But to save weight, I bought their attachment device and use it with a crazy light trash bag.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I had problems with my 1st NeoAir having delamination of the reflective coating and moisture seemed to make it wosrt... so I've always used a "pump sack"... But to save weight, I bought their attachment device and use it with a crazy light trash bag.
    Yea, my reflective coating is long gone, and quite a stink comes out of my pad in the morning from whatever it is that grows inside there from my breath! Man, I've had that pad for a long time now - yikes 16 years!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I don't carry the pump sack either - it doesn't make sense to buy an 8 oz Xlite and then add a pump sack to it. I've never had an old school valve fail either. '

The only thing about the old valve is that if you quit blowing air would come out until you twist the valve shut which I had a hard time with when it was really cold and my lips weren't working. Now if you quit blowing air doesn't escape if the valve is open.

Anyhow, I hope the wing-closure isn't a significant point of failure.

It's mind blowing to me that even after a redesign, the thermarest valve seems inferior to the exped version.

I don't see how the Winglock valve would be prone to failure. I think it is an ingenious design. It takes me only 20-25 puffs to blow up a large size xlite. Is there a known problem? I have not found any.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, my reflective coating is long gone, and quite a stink comes out of my pad in the morning from whatever it is that grows inside there from my breath! Man, I've had that pad for a long time now - yikes 16 years!
    Since the reflective coating is one of the main keys to this pad keeping you warm, if it is "gone", sounds like you should be able to get it replaced... Don't these come with a lifetime warranty?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Since the reflective coating is one of the main keys to this pad keeping you warm, if it is "gone", sounds like you should be able to get it replaced... Don't these come with a lifetime warranty?
    They do, mine started blowing baffles on the BMT late last year. I sent it in and they sent me the new version back. The new one is slightly heavier, and when I inflated it, it actually looked wider than my original long/wide. Whether they say inflating it by mouth is harmless or not, if you held the one I sent back up to the light, there was definitely blackish growth inside of the entire pad.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I’ve never liked the idea of blowing the pad by mouth thus filling it with moisture and opted for that little battery powered inflator, while I’m erecting the tent my wife can have both pads ready to go in that amount of time. I’m not big on carrying unnecessary gadgets bit this one I like.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

For all of your viewing pleasures

Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    I’ve never liked the idea of blowing the pad by mouth thus filling it with moisture and opted for that little battery powered inflator, while I’m erecting the tent my wife can have both pads ready to go in that amount of time. I’m not big on carrying unnecessary gadgets bit this one I like.
    I do have to admit that I have had my eye on that mini-inflator as well. If you were to bring the pump sack, the mini-pump only weighs about an ounce more so personally, that seems to be worth it. I'm all for lightening my load but part of getting things lighter is being able to add back some luxury/convenience items.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I do have to admit that I have had my eye on that mini-inflator as well. If you were to bring the pump sack, the mini-pump only weighs about an ounce more so personally, that seems to be worth it. I'm all for lightening my load but part of getting things lighter is being able to add back some luxury/convenience items.
    I love the mini inflator. IDK if I would have brought it on my thru, actually I would't, but for shorter trips it just takes the chore out of inflating. Yes it s a luxury item, but I have found that some luxury is OK.

I too have one and yes, it is kind of a nice perk at the end of the day. I haven't used it for hiking since I updated my pad to the newer ExTherm, which is mummy shaped and smaller in volume than my older rectangular one. But I do still take it when I go out on car camping weekends.

It makes a small amount of noise -- just a battery operated "whirring", as one would expect -- but sometimes I've thought even that sounds like a loud freeway when all you've heard is the woods all day for a few days. Whenever I was setting up near other hikers, I always would walk over and explain my little self-indulgence, and that the mechanical whirring noise would be over in a couple minutes. They probably couldn't even hear it, but I felt better about it.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

I always would walk over and explain my little self-indulgence, and that the mechanical whirring noise would be over in a couple minutes. They probably couldn't even hear it, but I felt better about it

hellfire----you could sell your services of inflating pads out in the backcountry.....

i know if someone came to me to explain it, and my pad was not inflated yet, i would take them up on the
    offer...

Hmm....hadn't thought of that. But then I'd be loaded down with the weight of all that money I'd make.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I kind of felt the same (good luxury) about the pump sack that came with my new S2S Etherlight. Okay it weighs an ounce more probably. After getting light headed blowing my old mat by mouth, I’ll take it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Hmm....hadn't thought of that. But then I'd be loaded down with the weight of all that money I'd make.

you got that right.....cause ill be paying in pennies...

First, that new valve looks great to me. One more part to fail (the wing valve bits) in trade for easier opening and closing and a one-way inflation valve. Kudos to Thermarest.

As for all this discussion about inflation bags. Why? Any standard, unadulterated, large plastic bag, which most of us carry anyway, works great as an inflation bag. This "hack" has been around for a number of years and posted by me in these forums a number of times, not to mention however many times it's been posted by others.

Please, watch this video. Practice a little. And then never bother concerning yourself with either pumps or pump-sacks ever again.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++